Namowal

Noob Cartoons: Skydiving Duck

I just recently read through this thread and discovered your cartoons. They are FABULOUS!! You have great talent!

Don't worry, you will get over your fear! I can almost guarantee without ever having met you that I was a more nervous student. I was scared shitless until about jump 300 and now at 600 am only slightly less scared! I'm hoping one day to get over it. Keep with it!

Brilliant, as always. I liked the fleeing lobster most.
Congrats to your successful jumps, especially the second one. Yes, you're getting better and better and as long as you just feel like Super Duck now and then but always keep in mind that you aren't Super Duck you will do fine.
Tnx4sharing :)
Carsten, the Duck Collector B|:)

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Very cool stuff, I love following these.. thanks!

Thanks!

Don't worry, you will get over your fear! I can almost guarantee without ever having met you that I was a more nervous student. I was scared shitless until about jump 300 and now at 600 am only slightly less scared! I'm hoping one day to get over it. Keep with it!

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who gets scared. As unnerving as fear is, I'll have to give it credit- nothing motivates me to check the gear carefully and pay attention to things (altimeter, other jumpers etc..) like being a bit spooked.

Yes, you're getting better and better and as long as you just feel like Super Duck now and then but always keep in mind that you aren't Super Duck you will do fine.

Exactly. The difference between "Super Duck" and "Crater Shaped like Super Duck" could be a matter of seconds. In my original draft I substituted "Super Duck" with "Peter Pan," with the reminder that if I didn't watch it I'd be "Peter Pancake"
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Here's a new cartoon about my last two jumps:

YAY! New stuff. B|:)

Ok, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has that reaction.

Namo - Have you considered changing your avatar pic?

I've thought for a while that the one right after the one you are using (on the tandem, going from "Holy shit!!!" to "Hey, this is cool!!") would be a good choice, but the second to last in the latest segment (freefall, good arch, HUGE grin) would be a really cool one.

And thanks for the new stuff. As always, it's really fun to read.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Here's a new cartoon about my last two jumps:

YAY! New stuff. B|:)

Ok, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has that reaction.

Namo - Have you considered changing your avatar pic?

I've thought for a while that the one right after the one you are using (on the tandem, going from "Holy shit!!!" to "Hey, this is cool!!") would be a good choice, but the second to last in the latest segment (freefall, good arch, HUGE grin) would be a really cool one.

And thanks for the new stuff. As always, it's really fun to read.

Thanks for the friendly words.
Maybe I should update the avatar. It's funny that you suggested the second to last picture- thing is I almost scratched it from the blog post because I thought it was redundant (and a little smug), but people tell me they like it.:)

That was a good jump, from start to finish......Ok you went unstable at the start, no big deal.....BUT, you recovered from that, completed some FF tasks, opened safely, became aware of your surroundings, remembered to check for traffic, calculated your landing spot, DIDN'T freak out and do something silly when you realised you were heading towards the runway, and got a stand up to boot....

All in all a pretty good jump in my book. Don't be too hard on yourself, rome wasn't built in a day....

It would be good to see you doing 3 or 4 jumps in a day, or even a few more.....I limited my students to 5 per day, which is prolly enough for anyone. doing one per day or per weekend limits your learning quite a bit....

Doing a bunch of jumps together is the way to really consolidate your learning and make good progress....things are still fresh in your mind......

I think you are becoming quite famous..........

Go for it.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Nice cartoon.

Glad you were able to make a stand up landing.

Hope I catch you next time you are at the DZ.

Thanks, guineapiggie101. I didn't make it this weekend (I thought the weather would be bad and made other plans :S) See you next time!

That was a good jump, from start to finish......Ok you went unstable at the start, no big deal.....BUT, you recovered from that, completed some FF tasks, opened safely, became aware of your surroundings, remembered to check for traffic, calculated your landing spot, DIDN'T freak out and do something silly when you realised you were heading towards the runway, and got a stand up to boot....

You have a point. I made some blunders, but I caught and corrected them before all you-know-what broke loose.

It would be good to see you doing 3 or 4 jumps in a day, or even a few more.....I limited my students to 5 per day, which is prolly enough for anyone. doing one per day or per weekend limits your learning quite a bit....

Doing a bunch of jumps together is the way to really consolidate your learning and make good progress....things are still fresh in your mind......

I think some extra jumps each day would be a good idea too. B|

I would call the entire jump a success.
-You didn't exit stable, but you fixed that.
-You're more relaxed, as shown by the singing.
-You remembered to keep an eye out for traffic.
-You flew a clear landing pattern.
-You recognized that you had made a mistake but didn't panic.
-You fixed that mistake without endangering yourself or others.
-You landed safely.

I'd call that a successful skydive. Great job!
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Nice cartoon.

Glad you were able to make a stand up landing.

Hope I catch you next time you are at the DZ.

Thanks, guineapiggie101. I didn't make it this weekend (I thought the weather would be bad and made other plans :S) See you next time!

You have a point. I made some blunders, but I caught and corrected them before all you-know-what broke loose.

I think some extra jumps each day would be a good idea too. B|

Extra jumps are ALWAYS a good idea.;)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Thanks for the latest cartoon, nicely done: Both jump and cartoon, I think. Ask your instructors about flat turns but the way you managed the turn was already OK as far as I can make up from the cartoon. You didn't freak out, and a lot of things went well. I would call that a successful ride ;) Looking forward to your next adventures. What a pity there's the big pond between us so the chances of jumping together aren't very high but I will follow your cartoon adventures B|

I would call the entire jump a success.
-You didn't exit stable, but you fixed that.
-You're more relaxed, as shown by the singing.
-You remembered to keep an eye out for traffic.
-You flew a clear landing pattern.
-You recognized that you had made a mistake but didn't panic.
-You fixed that mistake without endangering yourself or others.
-You landed safely.

I'd call that a successful skydive. Great job!

Thanks, mrubin :)

Extra jumps are ALWAYS a good idea.Wink

Wait a second... ...this isn't the DZ owner in disguise is it? :)(I'm kidding)

Thanks for the latest cartoon, nicely done: Both jump and cartoon, I think. Ask your instructors about flat turns but the way you managed the turn was already OK as far as I can make up from the cartoon. You didn't freak out, and a lot of things went well. I would call that a successful ride ;) Looking forward to your next adventures. What a pity there's the big pond between us so the chances of jumping together aren't very high but I will follow your cartoon adventures B|

Thanks, Abedy!B|

Awh, I forgot:
- you started singing - I like this. Have also done it, it's fun, it's relaxing. You're female, so you can multitask, so you shouldn't stop singing ;)
- you were aware of the runway coming uncomfortably close (if the safety guy or an instructor didn't talk about this with you, you just felt this way, but better be too careful than reckless) and acted in a mindful way. I often see younger jumpers crossing the runway at only 30 m (100 ft) though we have a rule to not approach it any lower than 300 m (1000 ft) - and these folks often ignore any advice and do it again and again - you didn't do anything potentially dangerous: So goodonya!

And - applause - congrats to your landing B|