Nataly

Weird stuff you miss...

What I miss in general are bakeries. They used to be everywhere and now they're downright rare and don't last long. I drove through Wellston one day and saw a bakery, got excited and stopped. This place had opened, gave it a shot and closed up in the short time since I'd driven through there before.
We didn't know how good we had it when there was at least one or two bakeries in every town.

"When I'm away from home I always seem to want to get a Tim's as soon as I get back, then I remember that it's not good coffee and that I usually go to Starbucks or McDonald's for coffee instead... "

It tastes more like chicory than coffee but they don't list it.

theonlyski

Abroad:

Doner from Germany
Shawarma from Iraq

Tony Stark: [regaining consciousness] What just happened? Please tell me nobody kissed me.

Steve Rogers: We won.

Tony Stark: Alright. Hey. Alright. Good job, guys. Let's just not come in tomorrow. Let's just take a day. Have you ever tried shawarma? There's a shawarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I wanna try it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Bob_Church

***I have now been away from Canada for almost as long as I lived in it... Strangely, two things get me excited about going back: Tim Horton's and Kraft Diner!!!

So what things do you miss when you are not in your homeland?? Or, alternatively, what do you miss from abroad if/when you come back??

PS: No, I am not going to Canuckistan any time soon... Just had a random craving for a doughnut!!! :D:D:D

Have you been to any of the Tim Horton's in the US? They started springing up in Ohio a few years back and now there's even one in Athens. The thing is, they're terrible. I'd like to hear from someone who's been to both the Ohio ones and the real ones in the Great White North for a comparison.

They're identical on both sides of the border, basically.

jclalor

Out of idol curiosity, do you remember the cost of the Shawarmas in Iraq? I was in Syria for a couple of weeks and that's all I ate, they were like a quater each.

Don't think we had an actual cost, we just handed the guy $20 US and got 4-5 bags full of them, we ate (about 15 of us), filled up and still had some left over. Then again, we did literally just stop the convoy on the side of the road at a shack, hopped out and bought them, so it wasn't really an exact science :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

Out of idol curiosity, do you remember the cost of the Shawarmas in Iraq? I was in Syria for a couple of weeks and that's all I ate, they were like a quater each.

Don't think we had an actual cost, we just handed the guy $20 US and got 4-5 bags full of them, we ate (about 15 of us), filled up and still had some left over. Then again, we did literally just stop the convoy on the side of the road at a shack, hopped out and bought them, so it wasn't really an exact science :D

IIRC, in Bahrain, they were two for 1 BD. SOO good! Then I saw a place when passing through Pensacola that advertised Shawarma. So NOT good! [:/]

I also learned they are made a little differently in different countries anyway, so not sure whether I'd even like the ones from Kuwait. Bahraini ones were definitely spectacular, and yeah, thanks guys -- now I crave one! >:(
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

IIRC, in Bahrain, they were two for 1 BD. SOO good! Then I saw a place when passing through Pensacola that advertised Shawarma. So NOT good! [:/]

I also learned they are made a little differently in different countries anyway, so not sure whether I'd even like the ones from Kuwait. Bahraini ones were definitely spectacular, and yeah, thanks guys -- now I crave one! >:(

I want some, have been thinking about them off and on for months actually, but never went to any place that sells them because I know it would just be a disappointment. Lebanon had a good shawarma too but I ate far more in Iraq and I think I liked those more. Doesn't get much more legit than a food shack on the side of an ASR. If you would have told me 15 years ago that I'd be sitting on my couch missing Iraqi food, I would've laughed pretty hard at ya.

I never had any from Kuwait (or any of those other countries I "visited") but I would love to find a legit place in the area as a supplier.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message