Zachanonymous

A Happy Ending

I figured I'd share a story, of where I am, where I've been, and where I plan on going.

To begin, I was fortunate enough to get laid off, now I knew it was a seasonal layoff, but the state mandated that I was to continue persuit of a full time job. I got set up with the CareerLink and was able to obtain state funding to further my education. To be honest, I dropped out of college just before I turned 19, due to substance abuse and apathy towards my life I suppose. I then worked as a night stock clerk, then wound up using my parents savings to put myself through Wyotech to be an automotive technican. Got a job after Wyotech, selling service on cars. Didn't really like selling services plus my substance abuse problem wasn't over, got fired. Fast forward to present, I used state funding to get a CDL and signed on with Roehl Transport (pronounced "rail") and furthered my training with them. Currently I'm in a good situation, especially looking forward to finding a cheap ;) IAF course (I think Skydive Ricks in OH has a great price for an accelerated course by static line) Also I'll be able to save up for 20+ acres in my hometown I'm hoping... That would be a dream come true as well as making some improvements on my recently deceased Grandmothers house, to pass on to the future owners. I moved back in with my Grandma and for some reason I quit smoking Marijuana, can't say exactly why. But here I am, 3 weeks solo as an OTR (Over the Road) truck driver, and it can be nerve racking. If theres any truck drivers out there, I'm sure you can understand. So that's my story, I'm sort of bragging, but in the same respect I hope my story inspires something in someone to not quit, (that doesn't mean drugs or alcohol ;)) but take what you can from it and share in my good fortune

Thanks for reading - Happy Easter

oldwomanc6

I think I might have a real medical issue:

I cannot read more than about 200 words w/o a paragraph break. My mind literally drifts off, and I cannot continue.

Here, fixed it for you:

Zachanonymous

I figured I'd share a story, of where I am, where I've been, and where I plan on going.

To begin, I was fortunate enough to get laid off, now I knew it was a seasonal layoff, but the state mandated that I was to continue persuit of a full time job. I got set up with the CareerLink and was able to obtain state funding to further my education. To be honest, I dropped out of college just before I turned 19, due to substance abuse and apathy towards my life I suppose.

I then worked as a night stock clerk, then wound up using my parents savings to put myself through Wyotech to be an automotive technican. Got a job after Wyotech, selling service on cars. Didn't really like selling services plus my substance abuse problem wasn't over, got fired.

Fast forward to present, I used state funding to get a CDL and signed on with Roehl Transport (pronounced "rail") and furthered my training with them.

Currently I'm in a good situation, especially looking forward to finding a cheap ;) IAF course (I think Skydive Ricks in OH has a great price for an accelerated course by static line) Also I'll be able to save up for 20+ acres in my hometown I'm hoping... That would be a dream come true as well as making some improvements on my recently deceased Grandmothers house, to pass on to the future owners. I moved back in with my Grandma and for some reason I quit smoking Marijuana, can't say exactly why.

But here I am, 3 weeks solo as an OTR (Over the Road) truck driver, and it can be nerve racking. If theres any truck drivers out there, I'm sure you can understand. So that's my story, I'm sort of bragging, but in the same respect I hope my story inspires something in someone to not quit, (that doesn't mean drugs or alcohol ;)) but take what you can from it and share in my good fortune

Thanks for reading - Happy Easter

Congrats Zach - thanks for sharing. Best wishes for you and your future. Happy Easter, and God Bless!

But here I am, 3 weeks solo as an OTR (Over the Road) truck driver, and it can be nerve racking. If theres any truck drivers out there, I'm sure you can understand.

Best description of the job I've heard----Hours and hours of sheer boredom, punctuated by fleeting instances of sheer terror.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Isn't that the job description for a pilot?

When i was laid off a couple years ago after 25 years in the financial services industry I seriously contemplated signing on with a trucking firm and hitting the road but after much research I decided i could not settle for the low pay and time away from my family. It's a lonely way of life. It's more of a lifestyle than a job.

So here I sit back in the corp world. At least I am home with my family every night.

Isn't that the job description for a pilot?

I've heard it said they are pretty much the same job. I limit the damage to my personal life by working an arrangement called truck share. I'm partnered with another driver. We each work one week on then one week off, starting on a Sunday morning. I'm often finished by Friday night and looking forward to eight days off. (for rigging and jumping, depending on the season)

The company is happy because the truck is always moving. I always know who is driving it while I'm off, so I don't have to worry what condition it will be in when I come to work. I know it will be clean and fueled and ready to go. Just like I leave it. And it's still considered a full time job, so I get full benefits.

And dispatch needs to get me home on time. No excuses, they have to get it back for my partner to start his week. And dry van only. No reefers and no decks. Every single deck driver I know has a story about being injured from falling off the trailer while tarping a load. I'm 60 in a couple months. I don't need that shit.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Back in the day I also considered trucking. My biggest problem was the team driving aspect. Seemed like every job was a team for the first year. I'm a control freak. I don't like riding in vehicles if I'm not the driver. Seriously doubted I could sleep while the other guy drove.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Back in the day I also considered trucking. My biggest problem was the team driving aspect. Seemed like every job was a team for the first year. I'm a control freak. I don't like riding in vehicles if I'm not the driver. Seriously doubted I could sleep while the other guy drove.

I will not ever drive team for that very reason. Plus the fact that the truck is too small to share with anyone you are not having sex with...