gowlerk

How Americans can expect to treated in Canada

There is still one place in the world where you are always welcome:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/oilers-star-spangled-banner-1.4092866

Come on up. (See Aphid while you're here) Just don't be surprised if the attitude sours a little if our team loses.

And I should also say thanks you to all the Americans who have always treated me well when I am in the USA.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I spent quite a bit of time in various parts of Canada for several years when I worked for Frito-Lay doing packaging automation projects. Mostly Outside of Toronto in Cambridge/Kitchener, Kentville Nova Scotia, Lethbridge Alberta, and Levis Quebec. I always has a blast. The Canadian guys were a great group and were always awesome hosts that were up for good times, great food, and lots of alcohol. I had a lot of fun traveling to Canada and was almost always treated well when out and about and by the plant personal as well. The few negative experiences I had were in Levis/Quebec city. There were some folks that gave me crap about being from America, and I even got the joy of the folks that refused to speak English. The positive experiences by far outweigh the negatives though. lol.

kawisixer01

I spent quite a bit of time in various parts of Canada for several years when I worked for Frito-Lay doing packaging automation projects. Mostly Outside of Toronto in Cambridge/Kitchener, Kentville Nova Scotia, Lethbridge Alberta, and Levis Quebec. I always has a blast. The Canadian guys were a great group and were always awesome hosts that were up for good times, great food, and lots of alcohol. I had a lot of fun traveling to Canada and was almost always treated well when out and about and by the plant personal as well. The few negative experiences I had were in Levis/Quebec city. There were some folks that gave me crap about being from America, and I even got the joy of the folks that refused to speak English. The positive experiences by far outweigh the negatives though. lol.

I visited Kitchener once, my mother-in-law's childhood hometown. Nice and chill place. Toronto was cool, but huge and sprawling. I've never set foot in Quebec or elsewhere in the land of the French Canadians. I know they have a reputation for being snooty (doesn't apply to all of them though). One province I'd like to see is Nova Scotia.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Although I haven't been up there much recently, I've been to and through Canada a bunch over the years.

Driving truck, sometimes I would "transit", that is, shortcut through Canada, avoiding the toll roads & Chicago when going from the upper Midwest out to New England/upstate New York.

Other times I would deliver something, then pick up somewhere else in Canada.

People were usually friendly, drivers far more polite than here in the US (except in Toronto).

Even in Quebec the people were nice. I speak a few words of French, and always tried to use it as best I could (basic concept that it's their country and somewhat presumptuous to assume they should speak my language).
With rare exception, they would seem to appreciate that I was at least trying.

Customs going into Canada was usually a more pleasant experience than coming back to the US too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Awwww - that's sweet :)
I've personally been treated well every single place I have travelled (including in the States, of course). I don't know if we really have some overall human bond or something but time and time again I've been humbled by the kindness and generous spirit of strangers. Have run into my fair share of shitty people as well!! But overall, I do think we have a shared human condition... And if you are nice MOST of the time, it mostly comes back to you and vice-versa. Some people are unlucky bastards... No one can explain that!! :D:| Some asshats get more than they deserve... No one can explain that either... :S[:/]

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss