skygranny

Patrick Swayze's Point Break skydiving gear up for auction in April

Just stumbled upon this in newsfeed. Julien's Auctions in LA announced that Patrick's widow puts up for auction a number of his possessions, including the skydiving gear and surfboard from Point Break movie. Allegedly, a part of the proceedings will go to pancreatic research fund.

Skydiving gear is estimated at 1000-2000 USD.

[url]http://www.juliensauctions.com/press/2017/patrick-swayze.html
Love never fails

Indiana Jones voice: "That belongs in a museum!"

I'd actually chip in some $ so the skydiving museum could acquire it, but I would like to know exactly what skydiving gear they are selling.

I think the special skydiving altimeter that changes altitude slower than normal to allow extra freefall time would be really valuable.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Yeah, me too. Anyone want to coordinate it?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Wendy P.

Several staff members at USPA are aware of this auction. Would be a good thing for the sport for them to help coordinate. At least that way there wouldn't be one group of skydivers bidding against another.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Indeed, when I saw the auction announcement, it crossed my mind that Skydiving Museum would be the right place for this gear. Although I didn't intend to start an action with initial post, I'm glad to see that there is an interest . I would chip in too.

I am close to several people from still strong Patrick's fan community and mentioned the idea in Facebook chat – and got overwhelming response, more than 100 messages in my inbox in last 3 days, asking is somebody coordinating the action and how can they participate.

So, if USPA or Skydiving Museum would be willing to coordinate the action and bid on behalf of skydiving community and fan base, I am willing to coordinate action with fans – raise awareness about the action, keep them informed and anything else needed.

If I can help, please put me through to USPA or Skydiving Museum people who would be willing to coordinate, or just message me in inbox here.
Love never fails

wmw999

Wendy P.

it just states "skydiving gear" it does not mention exactly what the gear is.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I sent request for info to Juliens auction to check what is actually listed.

Informal second-hand info indicates that it indeed is the complete rig used in famous "Adios Amigos" exit, possibly also altimeter and goggles aside, but I can't confirm at the moment.

Lets see what Juliens reply is, then it can be verified with Jim and Don. I was put in contact with Don today through a mutual friend.
Love never fails

Hammer just fell on lot# 158

Logbook, SCR, etc "included are some of Swayze’s USPA license application forms, a Bob Buquor Memorial Star Crest application with 10 signatures (Swayze, John Mitchell, Jim Wallace, Don Bonham, and others), and a silver tone parachute badge"

$1250.00 USD.

aphid

Hammer just fell on lot# 158

Logbook, SCR, etc "included are some of Swayze’s USPA license application forms, a Bob Buquor Memorial Star Crest application with 10 signatures (Swayze, John Mitchell, Jim Wallace, Don Bonham, and others), and a silver tone parachute badge"

$1250.00 USD.

Does anyone know who the buyer is?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The final prices of the items were:

lot #156 (rig) $4480
lot #157 (suits) $1562
lot #158 (logbook) $1600

I registered for the auction and went up to $2500 for the rig – sadly I’m not owner of “Bodie’s” rig (would have been cool though).

The final price includes the “hammer price” plus 25% auction fee; then you have to pay shipping on top.

His Point Break surfboard went for $64,000
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Nice! I wonder if George Ireland still owns the Point Break King Air? And what it would go for at auction? I made a bunch of jumps out of it when it was stationed at my home DZ for several months.

It was with his help that I got friends to make a jump spelling out the girl's name in freefall that I eventually started dating exclusively and subsequently married 16.5 years ago. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban