promise5

Totally random:How do you make your salad?

I just realized no matter what kind of salad I make I layer the ingredients the exact same way every time.

Chefs salad is always: lettuce,tomato,onion,black olives,eggs,chick peas, mushrooms,ham,cheese then dressing.

I never realized it until I watched someone and they made it "wrong" lol
So am I the only one?
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Standard dinner salad at our house....

Lettuce, then tomato, mushrooms, red pepper (diced), maybe thin sliced red onion or fine chopped green onion, maybe carrot slices, optional shredded cheese.

Nothing fancy, and have your pick of dressings.

The salad is only there to make your 24 oz. porterhouse steak guilt free. :D

Salads (a daily occurrence) have tossed greens, tomatoes, olives, a peppadew or two, maybe some roasted garlic, maybe some nuts, some fresh herbs, and often an anchovy laid across the top.

When there are guests, we generally forgo the anchovies :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Salads are usually "lunch", unless actual lunch is a big meal. Usually with soup or similar.

Lettuce (green leaf or romaine), scallion (green onion), mushrooms, broccoli, tomato & cucumber.
In summer, the broccoli, tomato & cucumber come from the back yard.

Dressing is either ranch or Italian/vinagrette of some sort. Depends on what I'm having with it. I don't do Italian dressing and clam chowder soup, for example.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I cut everything up to bite-size in preparation before putting in the bowl. That way I can eat without having to use a knife to cut things up as I eat.

Before eating, I mix everything up so that there are no more layers - just evenly jumbled ingredients. That way every fork-full has a mixture of many different things.

You forgot turkey.

Cheese should include both cheddar and Swiss.

Dressings: Thousand Island, French, Catalina.

flyhi

How do you make your salad?

Occasionally I make a honeymoon salad.

Lettuce alone.

B|;)B|

hahahah That was Funny...:)

In addition to Big, ( we all like salads here ) I also tend to make them different.:o:o each time.
Iceberg lettuce is usually the base. We can get nice heads for between 1 and 2 dollars, and Many places to shop... within a MILE of the house.... Local stores around here also sell bagged "assortment" salads , for a buck and a half or so, and If you use them quickly,,, they are good. We will make one of those last 2 or 3 salads and they can provide carrot, red cabbage slices, different kinds of lettuce.... Other add ons could be anything from croutons to olives, ( green and/or black ) red kidney beans or black beans , chopped up celery, and of course cukes !!!... I am happy with olive oil and red wine vinegar, some salt, some dried oregano...But we also like a variety of bottled dressings. Try to have One,,, every day.... Hell,,, have TWO !!;)
Another Great favorite is Tomato and Cucumber Salad... Have enjoyed them since childhood...B| Just requires fresh Tomatoes , cucumbers , sliced red onion and ( This is important ) Fresh !!! Sweet Basil... the more the better !!!!Basil is easy to grow and great to have on hand,,, You can also buy it,, at most grocery stores as you need it.... It adds color, flavor and goes great with the tomatoes.. Salt to taste,, EVOO and a small splash of red wine or balsamic vinegar.. and it's delicious...

jmy :)

Wedge Salad w/ green apples:

Slice the Iceberg wedges
Light squeeze of lemon or lime juice
Fresh crispy crumbled bacon
Lay the apple slices over the bacon
Blue Cheese crumbles
Lightly drizzle balsamic vinegar over the whole plate.

Side order of Bone-in Ribeye ;)

Glass of Chateau St. Michelle or Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

LolaJov

I cut everything up to bite-size in preparation before putting in the bowl. That way I can eat without having to use a knife to cut things up as I eat.

Before eating, I mix everything up so that there are no more layers - just evenly jumbled ingredients. That way every fork-full has a mixture of many different things.

This. My lettuce-based green salads are always "chopped" salads for this very reason. Romaine, shredded carrots, sliced celery, black olive slices, diced hard boiled egg. Cucumber if I have some around. Topped with "lite" Asian toasted sesame dressing, shredded cheese and almond slivers.

And as Jimmy says -- BIG! Full head of romaine just to start it all off (for one person).

OTOH, my favorite salad to make for guests is a cauliflower based salad with tequila vinaigrette dressing. Red onions, mandarins, green peppers, IIRC -- I'll have to look it up in my tequila cookbook for all the ingredients. Lots of colors, great flavor!

[ETA -- Excellent topic, Andrea!]
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

My favorite salad is mixed greens (the ones that look like weeds), crumbled blue cheese, craisins, candied walnuts, bacon, a tiny amount of very thinly sliced red onion, maybe some halved cherry tomatoes and a balsamic vinaigrette. Noooom!!!