BrianSGermain

The Dead Skydivers Wisdom Collective Speaks!

OK, so lets start with this. How did someone who has had no contact with any skydivers ever before in her life know the unpublicized nickname of Robert Mahaffey: "Muffy the Monkey"?
How did she know that his was a master pianist?

I did not tell her anything about these people.

Not a word.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

It's called "Cold Reading."

It's a standard technique of this sort of scammer.

As noted above, Houdini made a strong effort to expose "spirit mediums" as frauds. Large sums were offered to anyone who could prove their ability (or at least fool Houdini). No one won the award.

James Randi did much the same in modern times. Including offering a $1,000,000 award to anyone who could prove it.
Again, no winners.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

BrianSGermain

OK, so lets start with this. How did someone who has had no contact with any skydivers ever before in her life know the unpublicized nickname of Robert Mahaffey: "Muffy the Monkey"?

Not a word.

Are you serious? Perhaps she did her homework and googled your name and his: http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/General_Skydiving_Discussions_F18/Tribute_to_Robert_Mahaffey_SSI-Pro_Tour_and_X-Games_footage_P4404872/

BrianSGermain

Not a word.

It's fairly obvious no one gives a flying transcending monkey's ass about this garbage. At this juncture you are no better than those scam artists that create a dropzone.com log-in to sell fake IDs. This has nothing to do with skydiving other than this is the audience you chose and your ego is lost in its own dillusional horseshit.

bgrozev

***OK, so lets start with this. How did someone who has had no contact with any skydivers ever before in her life know the unpublicized nickname of Robert Mahaffey: "Muffy the Monkey"?

Not a word.

Are you serious? Perhaps she did her homework and googled your name and his: http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/General_Skydiving_Discussions_F18/Tribute_to_Robert_Mahaffey_SSI-Pro_Tour_and_X-Games_footage_P4404872/

LOL
Now come on, I think that's a bit far fetched. A much more reasonable explanation is that she is communicating with the invisible living dead.

Brian, you've been played. What are the names of the other jumpers you gave her? I'd bet quite a few jump tickets that they simply didn't have enough on Google for her to get what she needed. Somehow all six of the dead people you're trying to profit from have very detailed information about them without even going past the first page of search results, some in almost exact verbatim from her retelling of their stories. She read up on you and slapped a little fear bullshit on top and you bought it.

You're an idiot.

rmarshall234

I thought it was great. Interesting, thought-provoking and well done. But then, I don't feel threatened by things I don't yet understand. Or, feel the need to tear others down to make myself feel better. I guess I'm just not on as high a plane as some..

....says the guy who just tore other people down to make himself feel better.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

That is a great question. I don't pretend to understand how this stuff works, I just remain open to possibilities. Vehemently defending why the world is flat through seeking only the evidence that supports our belief seems to me to be the road to erroneous assumptions. True science requires an open mind, ready to let go of old paradigms.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

BrianSGermain

True science requires an open mind, ready to let go of old paradigms.

True science requires, besides an open mind, meticulous proof and description of any discovery, including methods and tools used (to replicate the finding), assumptions made (if any), error margins and in many cases raw data (so others can analyze and verify the authors conclusion). True science also use simple and double blinding, to separate our bias from the truth. I work in science, I have published and reviewed articles in scientific journals and conferences for 8-9 years, and I assure you that if you put this experience in writing no serious journal or reviewer would even consider publishing it because of the lack of all the aforementioned points necessary to be considered science. You could be lucky though, and publish it in a shady "scientific" journal, it seems like there quite a few out there nowadays.

You are a psychologist. You know how easy is to manipulate our minds and sway our thoughts. You know about the numerous bias we all have. You know how our desires and fears subdue our rational thinking. With that in mind, be strict Brian and ask yourself what is easier, somebody being good at finding information and manipulating other people's thoughts? Or somebody being able to communicate with the afterlife without more proof than their words? If you are willing to go against Occam's razor you'd be wise looking for extraordinary and meticulous proof. Until you find it, I'd suggest that you keep your believes to yourself, for if you are wrong you can help causing a great amount of pain to others. You'd be contributing to propagate a scam that preys in the most vulnerable people.

To everyone else in the thread, please look at the big picture. You might not like Brian, his attitude or his self-promotion on the forum. That's fine, I don't like that either. But it looks to me like the kind of guy always willing to give a fellow skydiver a hand. He has contributed a great deal to the sport. I doubt very much that he wants to scam us. I might be wrong, but I think in this case he is being the victim, not the scammer.

Note to everyone....When i die....don't EVER have someone claiming to be a 'psychic' call upon me and/or state on my behalf what they think I might be saying....

....because I won't be saying anything.... because I am dead. To have someone do this to or for me would be one of the greatest insults to my memory or my intelligence that could ever be perpetrated.....

However, shots of rum and chimes of "what an asshole..." stories would be greatly appreciated by all, but again, not by me, because I will be fucking dead.....

BrianSGermain

That is a great question. I don't pretend to understand how this stuff works, I just remain open to possibilities. Vehemently defending why the world is flat through seeking only the evidence that supports our belief seems to me to be the road to erroneous assumptions. True science requires an open mind, ready to let go of old paradigms.

I'm very open to possibilities. I try to have an open mind.

But extraordinary claims require proof.

And, as noted before, none of these sorts of claims have ever stood up to scientific scrutiny.
EVERY ONE has been shown to be fraudulent.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Open your mind and give Brian a break. He does a great job sharing many different perspectives. I agree with Brian. Keep you minds open. I personally do believe in multiple lifetimes and communication with other souls but that is just me and will not argue it's validity except from personal experience and belief :). I do not believe in right and wrong either, they are just opinions and state of mind.

I took a psych class in college and the professor would do magic for a portion of the class. The goal was to try and figure out how the tricks were performed. He would do the pick a card in your mind, imagine it in your head, then he would tell you what card you were thinking of. He did it to everyone. He could do other mentalism tricks like have you pick out a word from a book. He could then point out the exact word on the page. I could never figure out how he did it, as he would not reveal any of his methods. He performed more elaborate tricks than I can recall, so my story does not do his magic justice. Your posts made me think of that.

i just googled the afterlife

http://webpages.charter.net/ssiprotour/smbres.html
In Freeflying, the Z-Airtime squad lead from the start. Brian Germain, Robert Mahaffey and Adrian Nicholas took home the top prize while competing under the new psuedonym of * "Adrian, Brian & Muffy the Monkey."

http://stei-23756.tributes.com/obituary/print/94771889
"I will always remember the song he played on the piano at our wedding"

Seriously. The least she could do is have an intern behind the camera pulling up stuff on Google in realtime to make it more believable instead of doing it all before the session.

Watch the part at 49:30, she's got an amazing ability to summon Youtube videos. I especially liked the part about the net ("Oh god, it's so big"). She was testing Brian the whole time and by the end she was just like "Fuck it, let's go full Minority Report".

photognat

Seriously. The least she could do is have an intern behind the camera pulling up stuff on Google in realtime to make it more believable instead of doing it all before the session.

Watch the part at 49:30, she's got an amazing ability to summon Youtube videos. I especially liked the part about the net ("Oh god, it's so big"). She was testing Brian the whole time and by the end she was just like "Fuck it, let's go full Minority Report".

I'm not sure if any one heard her channel the description of the Aiken's jump being watched from heaven. With such Gems as "At the last second he turns on his back" or "He lay still in the net for five seconds" or "his wife runs towards him". That informion gentlemen could never be found online.

BrianSGermain

That is a great question. I don't pretend to understand how this stuff works, I just remain open to possibilities.

Well, someone already posted the link to the wikipedia article on Cold Reading, which explains how this scam/party trick works. It's not especially complicated as far as how it works, it does take practice to make it really slick though, just like any good racket.

That and googling you comes up with plenty of stories, I'm sure he had time to study a few to set up a hot read on you. This isn't anything new.

I'm a little surprised by the level of vitreal in this thread. I'm in the, I'll politely call it the skeptic camp. I call bullshit on this. My read is that it's some one praying on new age hippies. But I really don't care. If they want to believe this stuff and she wants to feed it to them and they want to swallow it with a smile... I don't see it as any different then any other religion. Scam? Want to talk about the collection plates passed around in churches? It is what it is. People want their belief systems no matter how silly they are.

Is any of this relevant? He wants to talk about fear management and all the rest of his self help shit. And he's not a bad speaker. His ideas ideas aren't even that bad. And most importantly, the only thing that matters, He's getting payed for these lectures. He's selling it. Good on him. I see all of this as just a segway that he used to roll into the ideas he wanted to talk about. Why the hoopla?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com