RiggerLee

What is strange?

So I actually made it to the world famous Amy and Gary annual party this year. A wofo girl made the mistake of trying to hang with the last remaining group of skydivers as we shut down the party late in the evening or early morning how ever you want to view it. She got a little freaked out.

People had been behaving relatively well or at least she had missed the antics up till then. We were gathered around the island in the kitchen. Amy was going through the left over dregs of the alcohol for the party scavenging any remaining fuel from the auxiliary tanks. She was down on her knees going through a cabinet when she found the remains of an old bottle of liqueur. It was obviously old. Not thirty year old scotch kind of old but half empty bottle left over from a party several years before old. Oddly it had a number of small dead mice in the bottom of it. I'm assuming that they were put there when it was bottled and that they didn't crawl in over the years as the half empty bottle aged in the cabinet. Of course the latter could be possible... I'm reminded of a movie where the characters raised a mouse inside a beer bottle to try and get free beer. But in any case, they were standing around the island preparing to do shots of this... embalming fluid with little dead mice in the bottom of the glasses. This freaked wofo girl out and we got to talking about this.

Wofo, "But they look so normal, but look at what they are doing!"

Me, "They're not normal. They are sky divers. There is nothing normal about them."

Wofo, "This is making me sick. This is not normal. How can they do this?"

Me, "This is actually pretty normal for them. In fact this does not even make the top ten list of strange things I've seen at drop zones."

Wofo, "What is stranger then this?"

I want to infesize that she asked me this question. I did not just volunteer any of these stories. I related a few choice anecdotes about skydivers, including some of the things I've seen them do with human body ash. For some reason I don't think this helped her comfort level. Although I thought it illustrated how well behaved they were being that evening.

In any case. The question is this. What are some of the strangest things you have seen skydivers do.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

It's early so I'm not thinking well yet, but...

Crawl inside a garbage bag full of nitrous and have to be pulled out.

Snort oysters through nose.

Not strange but use rig as ramp to jump stingray bike over campfire. Of course that is an appropriate use for a Racer but it was the rig he jumped.

I'm sure I'll get warmed up later.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I doubt this is in the top ten but...
Electric stars were popular for a while in N. Fla. Take a lamp cord, split the 2 leads, strip the insulation. Make a "star" with maybe ten people. the ones on the end each grab one of the leads. That completes the circuit. With ten people, there's a mild tingle until someone lets go to drop out. The remaining people reconnect and with fewer people the tingle is noticeably stronger. I've gotten down to a 3 person star and it was impossible to stay still. Every muscle in my body was contracting.

(Alcohol may have played a part in this behavior.)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Niki1

Electric stars were popular for a while in N. Fla. Take a lamp cord, split the 2 leads, strip the insulation. Make a "star" with maybe ten people. the ones on the end each grab one of the leads. That completes the circuit. With ten people, there's a mild tingle until someone lets go to drop out. The remaining people reconnect and with fewer people the tingle is noticeably stronger. I've gotten down to a 3 person star and it was impossible to stay still. Every muscle in my body was contracting.

I've done these a few times. Absolute blast. And yes, a three way is as far as I got, but unbelievably the last two guys completed their circuit for a split second.

What had us almost dying from laughing was completing the circuit on some lady's nipple or forehead or something. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The zilch. Twist and knot a dry cleaner bag, hang it from a doorway, and put a pan of water under it.

Light the zilch. It makes a lovely sound as it melts and drips into the water. This level of entertainment is vastly enhanced by the smoking of weed.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We used to burn old cars after hours for special occasions. We were generally careful about emptying the fuel and oil first. Generally. I have seen a burning car being driven around the bonfire by a naked man. There were two volunteer firefighters in full gear in the backseat. For safety, don't you know. When the cops showed up they weren't sure if what we were doing was illegal or not. When the owner of the car told them he was okay with it they just told us to keep it down and left. Obviously this was pre-911.

- Dan G

To list a few things. Some I've witnessed. Some are legend. Undoubtedly some are lies. The distinction fades with time.

Flaming party hats. If you take the box from a twelve pack of beer you will notice that on the top there are the holes for the hand grip. With a little imagination you can see these as air inlets on an engine. An engine needs a tail pipe for thrust and a beer can with top and bottom carefully removed bears some resemblance to the aft of a jet engine. With a pocket knife you can open the two ends of the can and cut a hole in the top rear of the box. Note this refers to the air inlets/hand holes as the front, bottom as the back, end as the top, and other end as the bottom. A engine needs fuel and if you soak the top of the inside of the box with, for instance charcoal lighter fluid from the grill, it will absorb this fuel very nicely. If you open the other end you will find that it fits very nicely on your head as a hat. Remember, a ram jet like this with out a compressor needs a certain amount of air speed before you ignite it. But if you are running fast enough you can establish air flow through the "engine" and get a nice flame out of the after burner in your tail pipe as you run through the hanger, packing area, party, etc.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

Niki1

Part II:

The circle made with various arrangements of holding penises and fingers in butt holes. Saw the video.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

To ad to the electric star there was the third eye and touching someones heart (but don't remember the name of that)
Riding the cannon.
IGLOT
Dance of the flaming assholes.
Streaking, rockets, strollers.
Short pecker contests.
And the most weird thing I've ever seen is people jump out of airplanes AND PAY TO DO IT.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Suicide 8 ways. At the drop zone I started at we had two Cessnas. We would do formation 8 ways with four jumpers in each plane. One day the winds aloft did not match the ground winds and this resulted in an argument over the course of the jump run.

First jumper, "I'm not going unless the jump run is to the south!"

Second jumper, "Well I'm not jumping unless the jump run is to the north!"

At that moment you could feel the world grow still as all the eyes of the gods turned to watch what would occur. There eyes grew wide the realization of the solution to this dellima. The planes climbed in formation to the spot. Then each turned 90 degrees and flew for 2 minuets then turned 180 and headed back towards the spot at a set altitude. They opened the door and climbed out on the strut. It's important not to let the plane turn and maintain heading towards the spot. As they approached each other both groups exited allowing the forward throw to carry them together. The throw is more then you would think, the first time they actually passed each other and had to turn back to the formation. This was the birth of the Suicide 8 way.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

RiggerLee

Suicide 8 ways. At the drop zone I started at we had two Cessnas. We would do formation 8 ways with four jumpers in each plane. One day the winds aloft did not match the ground winds and this resulted in an argument over the course of the jump run.

At that moment you could feel the world grow still as all the eyes of the gods turned to watch what would occur. There eyes grew wide the realization of the solution to this dellima. The planes climbed in formation to the spot. Then each turned 90 degrees and flew for 2 minuets then turned 180 and headed back towards the spot at a set altitude. They opened the door and climbed out on the strut. It's important not to let the plane turn and maintain heading towards the spot. As they approached each other both groups exited allowing the forward throw to carry them together. The throw is more then you would think, the first time they actually passed each other and had to turn back to the formation. This was the birth of the Suicide 8 way.

Lee

:o

Wow
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

***Suicide 8 ways. At the drop zone I started at we had two Cessnas. We would do formation 8 ways with four jumpers in each plane. One day the winds aloft did not match the ground winds and this resulted in an argument over the course of the jump run.

Lee

:o

Wow

That sounds too much like a nippleboy post. :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Back in the day the folks at Parkman made a 5 way with one ripcord activated T10 freefall rig and 4 static line T10s rigs. I guess it was the pre-cursor to a skyhook but the ripcord activated rig was holding on to one of the static lined rigs. That static line rig was holding the next static line and so on. There's an old video of it somewhere.

For safety each static lined jumper had a backup flyer to activate the static line if there was a problem. I remember thinking it would be strange to exit the Beech with a static lined T10 rig.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Tow flight. If you build a split bridal, Y shaped with a loop on each end and a three ring on the point, almost like a riser but with larger loops at the ends and a Velcro cutaway pud on one of the straps. You can unthread your leg straps and route them through the loops so that the ends are around the leg strap just under the junction. wearing the rig the Y exits in front of you from under the harness. If you then have a large round RW-1 ring on the end of a rope some one inside the plane can lower the towey from the tow plane while in flight with a standard belay device. Note: it is important that you include a weak link between the Ring and the main tow rope in the event of a premature deployment. Once at the end of the tow line the low attachment point makes you want to rock slightly back. By extending your legs you can push forward and track. It balances very nicely. With that control you can track back and forth to each side and up and down. You can almost box the tail of the plane. And that is just with your body. Imagine what you can do with a wing suit.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

Moon pass. Every one has seen a full moon, whole lines of them in fact at a drop zone. Not exactly unusual at least among skydivers. Any one that has ever been on a multi car road trip, convoy, or just group dinner outing with a group of skydivers has been mooned from a passing car. What is slightly more unusual is to see this done solo. Nothing strange about being passed by a car with a full moon hanging out the passenger window, hardly worth commenting on, but I know at least one jumper well known for doing this solo as he drove the car him self. He would drop back and then build up speed so that he could easily over take the leading cars. He would then hit cruse control maintaining his passing speed. Now that he is free to move he can climb into the passenger seat pulling down his pants to his ankles and extending his posterior fully out the passenger window. This entails standing on the far edge of the passenger seat bent double at the waist squeezing his back side out of the window while reaching at full arm extension across the car to reach the steering wheel to drive the car as he passed multiple vehicles in the convoy before returning to his own lane and seat. Note that most of the roads around here are two lane roads. It is important to chose a stretch with sufficient visibility to insure that you will complete this maneuver before encountering oncoming traffic.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]