Phil1111

"Fly the Friendly Skies"

DJL

******United Airlines passenger David Dao suffered 'significant' concussion, broken nose, lost two front teeth for being volunteered.

His lawyer is supposed to be holding a press conference this morning.
Also, United is offering full refunds to all passengers on that flight.
And all 3 security guards are now suspended.

I think it's pretty shitty that they're disciplining the security guards. It's obviously an issue of training and delineation of authority that includes the airline and the airplane's captain.
Security guards aren't exactly policy makers and tend to just do what they're told assuming their orders are legal. I'll stop short of questioning their intelligence, just saying that they're normal people in a blue-collar job.

As I already posted, the security guards were not authorized to enter the aircraft!
There were nearby Chicago PD available which should have been called.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

As I already posted, the security guards were not authorized to enter the aircraft!

Wow....

For future reference:

Savage: Ju-Jitsu Instructor Gives A Defense Lesson Against United Police!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNxOzpCFv2c
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

For future reference:

Savage: Ju-Jitsu Instructor Gives A Defense Lesson Against United Police!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNxOzpCFv2c

First problem I see is that the "rotate" portion of that move isn't going to work when you are squeezed between two rows of seats.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi Phil,

Stupid people, passengers and airline personnel.

Latest: 'United’s CEO says he is “emphatically” standing by his employees and is placing blame for the incident on the passenger.'

IMO a very dumb move. http://www.today.com/video/united-airlines-doubles-down-on-passenger-being-dragged-from-plane-918560835789

Jerry Baumchen

Honestly this event is a disgrace but reflects my experience of internal flights in the USA.

I think you guys are exposed to the worst customer service and attitude that I've experienced anywhere in the world - I'd even rate Ryanair higher than any US carrier that I've flown.

Overbooking to the extent it happens appears to be uniquely American - I've not seen it anywhere in Europe or Australia. Stop putting shareholder value above customers and change ticket conditions so that flights are not over booked and you're still a viable airline (although US airlines seem to constantly be on the verge of bankruptcy anyway)

I fly into major US hubs and then drive whenever possible. People at work think I'm crazy for doing this. But given the choice of a pleasant 5 or 6 hour drive where I can relax, versus being treated like shit and having uncertainty I know my preference. 2 weeks ago I foolishly flew united from LA to San Luis Obispo (which I normally drive) and regretted it the entire time I sat through the 5 hour delay
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

ryoder

CPD would not have been called, and if they had been called prolly would have refused to get involved.
This wasn't a criminal issue, it was civil. Hence the air rent-a-cops.

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james

Phillbo

I'm the same way. If it's less than 8 hours I'll drive instead of flying.

Yeah really, it's not like you're going from New York to DC which could be 8 hours or 3 days depending on traffic and weather patterns.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

gowlerk

Can we make an airline company for skydivers like this? You throw out your luggage and chase it down. Call it "Bandit Air". The marketing tag line could be.. "The no-frills, all thrills airline". Too bad April 1st is so far away.

It would also be nice for a quicker commute to work, bypassing all the traffic on the highway.

AlanS

Can we make an airline company for skydivers like this? You throw out your luggage and chase it down. Call it "Bandit Air". The marketing tag line could be.. "The no-frills, all thrills airline". Too bad April 1st is so far away.

It would also be nice for a quicker commute to work, bypassing all the traffic on the highway.

"Adios Airlines."

Stolen from the old James Brolin movie "High Risk."

When I was flying the 182, I would occasionally give the "pre-takeoff speech" about making sure seat belts are fastened (real), tray tables stowed and seat backs in the full upright position (not so real).

I would always end it with "Thank you for flying Adios Airlines."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

>If this guy was stopped before boarding the plane and told we are over booked, I
>would have no issue what so ever. the fact is he was issued a boarding pass and was
>seated on the plane!

Agreed - that's what makes this different than most other cases.

Imagine someone goes to a store, picks up groceries and pays for them. Then, when they are putting them in their trunk, a cashier comes running outside and demands them all back. The person refuses, and the cashier proceeds to knock two of his teeth out while yanking the food out of his hands.

I don't think that anyone would defend the cashier in that case - even if the store has a written, established policy that they can refuse service to anyone at any time they are on store property.

This is a guy who had purchased a ticket and been boarded and seated. Yes, the airline has the legal right to later refuse him seating, just as that cashier technically has the right to yank those groceries out of the shopper's hands. But most people would see both as pretty unreasonable IMO.

gowlerk

You have no idea how close to home that link hits. :D:D:D:D:D

"The Daily Bonnet"???:D

It mentions "Goshen". Now there are multiple towns in the US by that name, but when you are talking about Amish and/or Mennonites, the one in IN is likely being referenced. Here is an article that specifies IN:

http://dailybonnet.com/calvinist-spies-hack-mennonite-church-board-election/

That was my home town.:D

What is more, it mentions an actual church in that town: East Goshen Mennonite Church; That is the church I was dragged to by my parents for years, (until the old man threw me out of the house at 17yo). They later switched to a Baptist church, (see last paragraph in article).:D

I live in Manitoba. The Mennonite Central University is very near me. But we don't have Yoders here. We have Weibes and Freisens, and Penners, and a bunch of others.

There are even dry towns nearby!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

For several years I lived just a block from the Mennonite college in town (Goshen College). And for 7 years I worked at the hospital directly across the street. So I knew lots of people who went there. And believe me, there were some very unreligious people who attended there!:D