Phil1111

"Fly the Friendly Skies"

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/viral-video-kills-chance-aviation-security-officers-will-be-armed/

Viral video of a man being dragged off a United Airlines flight has virtually snuffed out any chance for city aviation security officers to be authorized to carry weapons, an influential alderman said Monday.

Ald. Mike Zalewski (23rd), chairman of the City Council’s Aviation Committee, said Sunday’s embarrassing incident at O’Hare Airport was so “poorly handled from A-to-Z” that the officers have lost their argument to bear arms.

Zalewski said the aviation officer who is now on a leave of absence had no business getting involved in the incident, let alone boarding the flight from Chicago to Louisville.

It should have been handled by United, O’Hare’s flagship carrier, in the boarding area, before passengers ever boarded the flight, the alderman said. And if the airline needed backup to handle a recalcitrant or unruly passenger, that should have been provided by Chicago Police officers, who were just minutes away when the viral video was taken, Zalewski said.

So:
- The "security officer" was not an LEO.
- He had no business getting involved.
- UAL should have handled the issue before the flight was boarded.

The United Airlines passenger who was hauled off an overbooked plane is a poker-playing doctor from Kentucky with a sordid past.

Dr. David Dao, 69, who was captured in a now-viral video being forcibly dragged off the Louisville-bound flight at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport on Sunday, was working as a doctor specializing in pulmonary disease in Elizabethtown when he was convicted of trading prescription drugs for sexual favors.

According to documents filed with the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure, Dao was arrested in 2003 on the drug-related offenses following an undercover investigation.

The board’s probe into the criminal charges found that Dao became sexually interested in a male patient, Brian Case, whom he gave a physical examination to, including a genital examination, and whom he eventually made his office manager.

Case quit that job due to “inappropriate” remarks made by Dao, who then pursued him and arranged to give him prescription drugs in exchange for sexual acts, according to the documents, filed last year.

In 2004, Dao was convicted on a slew of felony counts of obtaining drugs by fraud or deceit and was later placed on five years of supervised probation, the newspaper reported....

Dao went to medical school in Vietnam in the 1970s before moving to the US, according to the Courier-Journal.

Dao, who previously worked at Hardin Memorial Hospital in Elizabethtown and once owned a medical practice, is a grandfather and father of five, the Daily Mail reported.

His wife, Teresa, who trained at Ho Chi Minh University in Saigon, is a pediatrician in Elizabethtown, according to the Daily Mail. Four of their five children are doctors.

Dao’s player profile on the World Series of Poker website lists his total earnings as $234,664 since he joined the poker circuit in 2006.
http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/

DJL

I was wondering about that. The guys were wearing blue-jeans and at best official looking ballcaps and jackets.

They weren't with CPD, they were the "Aviation Police" - which sounds like an entire team of Farva's or something. When I see a police department that isn't allowed to carry firearms, I am a little suspicious of the skills required for employment.

Regardless of the lead up to this, it is pretty embarrassing that they couldn't get a 65+ year old dude off an airplane without going to that level of force. Then after the injury, rather than arresting and getting medical treatment for the suspect - they drag him away down the isle (risking further injury). Finally, the cherry on top - 10 minutes later the dude ends up back on the plane running around mumbling to himself?!

No wounder they don't let those guys carry guns, passengers would be getting blasted left and right.
BASE 1384

Halfpastniner

***I was wondering about that. The guys were wearing blue-jeans and at best official looking ballcaps and jackets.

They weren't with CPD, they were the "Aviation Police" - which sounds like an entire team of Farva's or something. When I see a police department that isn't allowed to carry firearms, I am a little suspicious of the skills required for employment.

Regardless of the lead up to this, it is pretty embarrassing that they couldn't get a 65+ year old dude off an airplane without going to that level of force. Then after the injury, rather than arresting and getting medical treatment for the suspect - they drag him away down the isle (risking further injury). Finally, the cherry on top - 10 minutes later the dude ends up back on the plane running around mumbling to himself?!

No wounder they don't let those guys carry guns, passengers would be getting blasted left and right.

Ah yes, the air-soft tactical crowd. These are the same guys who get a HAM radio license badge and wear it on their Dickie's with a utility belt.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

ryoder

An analysis of UAL's bumping policies.
In summary, they only apply to denying boarding, not to ejecting boarded passengers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/uniteds-real-mistake-173844672.html

That's what I was getting to as just a principle of common sense. Someone fucked up trying to get the extra crew boarded, didn't know what to do, ejected paying customers, and then called the mall cops when one person stood up for himself exactly as he should have.

I'm actually surprised to see people saying the guy should have just done what they told him to when I think people on the plane should've had his back. Losing your seat while you're in the terminal is one thing but forcibly removing someone who is seated on a plane is entirely different.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

No what's disgusting is everyone excuses temper tantrums. But from the people siding with the grown man acting like a 3 year old it isn't surprising. The other folks that got bumped didn't throw a fit. They didn't like it but they didn't break into a fit and interfere with the flight. This guy broke the law and should have gone to jail. NO ONE has a right to a seat on a plane. You bought the OPPROTUNITY to fly which can be revoke at anytime for any reason after volunteers have been asked for and refused. PERIOD. This person refused to leave then he ran back on the plane and ran up and down the isle. His behavior is appealing as is all of those defending this ;spoiled selfish brat behavior. Last thing if anyone on that plane actually cared about him being a "doctor" any of them could have stepped up and took his place.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

ryoder

An analysis of UAL's bumping policies.
In summary, they only apply to denying boarding, not to ejecting boarded passengers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/uniteds-real-mistake-173844672.html

Time to buy stock!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

normiss

The timing of their app update is also hilarious:

morehttps://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/nation-now/2017/04/11/internet-has-few-suggestions-new-united-airlines-mottos-following-disturbing-video/100316780/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-YdrBXiLK19LokrLsJGq04w
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Evidently he was not injured enough such that he missed any opportunity to retain council.

"Also Tuesday, attorneys for Dao issued a statement on behalf of the doctor and his family.

"The family of Dr. Dao wants the world to know that they are very appreciative of the outpouring of prayers, concern and support they have received. Currently, they are focused only on Dr. Dao's medical care and treatment," said Chicago attorney Stephen Golan of Golan Christie Taglia, adding that Dao's family has asked for privacy.

Dao, who is being treated for his injuries at a Chicago hospital, is also represented by Chicago aviation attorney Thomas Demetrio of Corboy & Demetrio.

Videos of the incident went viral on social media and prompted Munoz to apologize for having to "re-accommodate" customers after a two-hour delay. The confrontation happened on a United Express flight operated by Republic Airways."
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/11/united-ceo-munoz-apologizes-in-response-to-dragged-passenger.html

As to the matter of if Mr Dao was injured or not. He returned to the cabin again after he was dragged from the aircraft.
At 1:29 he states twice "Have to go home". Then he was removed from the cabin a second time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEw-GjTriIo

Mr. Dao went from yelling, screaming and physically fighting with the three rent-a-cops. To complete unconsciousness as he was dragged down the isle. To re-entering the cabin after he was ejected with the reborn desire to "go home". Perhaps Mr. Dao's council should view that little section before they file a action in the courts.

Be it macadamia nuts, Mr. Dao, or any number of other similar situations. Self interest seems to be the driving force in society today. Its me, its now. Fu#k everyone else.

1200 people a day get bumped in the US. Then Mr. Dao. bought a ticket.

Yeah, United and their gate agents have some explaining to do as well.

Anybody catch this guys history? If this is him he's got a lot of history. https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2017/04/united-airlines-passenger-convicted-of-drug-trafficking-sex-crim/:oBesides selling prescriptions>
However, the physician indicated he did accept sexual favors from an associate in exchange for reducing a debt that associate owed him. (Editor's Note: WTF, dude?!?)
In February of 2005, Dao gave up his Kentucky medical license.
TMZ has also dug deep and learned that Dao turned to the professional poker circuit during this time, when he was not permitted to actually work as a doctor.
He started playing at tournaments in July of 2006 and finished second in a 2009 tournament, walking away with more than $117,000 as a result.
Overall, Dao banked $234,664 in World Series of Poker events over the years.
In 2015, the Kentucky medical board lifted Dao's suspension and allowed him to practice medicine with a few restrictions; as of last year, he may only practice internal medicine in an outpatient facility one day a week

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

normiss

Witnesses say when he returned he was very disoriented and confused.
Wonder how bad of a concussion you can get from being slammed face first into a commercial airliner seat...

I've had concussions before. I don't think that his sex, drug and subsequent conviction has a bearing. I don't think that the rent-a-cop v. real cops has a relevance.

The entire affair reminds me of how road rage incidents come about. Two belligerent parties each unwilling to give an inch, Each prepared to escalate an obstinate attitude. Into confrontation.

I've personally been at about 1/2 dozen auctions. All US domestic. All resolved for under $500. One where the gate attendant tried to bump me. I was headed for a scuba holiday and would have missed my departure if i was delayed. I gave the Delta employee a song and dance that it was a $20k a week charter with six crew, bla bla bla. and I was in the clear. All lies.

Another case I was bumped. Got hotel, arrived about 9 hours later no big deal one way or another. I get it in bashing airlines. They destroyed a kiteboard on one trip, United. One time a bag got almost cut in half on some sort of conveyor belt ins some unknown airport. Never did get a cent over that one.

Its traveling. I've also listened to the absolute BS from passengers at the gate. Yelling, screaming, threatening and cussing at the gate crew. No understanding of delays due to connecting flights, weather, or the mechanics of aircraft.

Lots of defense of Mr Dao in that he bought a ticket. I've been involved in the purchase of a house where the proceeds of the sale was delayed week after week for six months. $400,000 worth of proceeds. Lots of defense of him for the massive beating that he endured. Sorry don't buy it. Certainly nothing wrong with his 69 year old lungs. With his inclination to take on three younger men in a physical confrontation.

In the absence of Mr. Dao's conduct the AC would likely been off the ground in 1/2 hour vr. two hours. What about his inconvenience to the other passengers on that flight. Connecting flights, connecting passengers, etc.

There has been several studies done on the social-psychological effects of average group rankings of compassion and outrage. In similar situations where equal and unequal parties conflict with each other. Then one gets injured. Instead of a average rank of cause, effect and injury. Individuals in groups tend to want to show "greater compassion" and "greater outrage". Than the next person. To show they are more compassionate and more outraged than the other person.

IMO thats at work here. Mr. Dao was a little mentally unstable before this event. He should have left when trespassed by the flight crew. The pilots and good sense were absent from the United gate crew. Should have upped the money. The pilots should have made the decision as to what action to take when he refused to budge.

I get a little more outraged when I hear or see video of a black kid getting roughed up by a cop. Just because he ran when he had a fattie in his pocket on his way to his girlfriends house.

Mr. Dao's injuries, if any, certainly brought him together with a lawyer quick enough. Just imagine if airlines sued every passenger that caused flight disruptions. Heart attack diversion, well we need $80K from your insurer. What no insurer? Well that will be a second mortgage on your house. Thank you very much.

Nevermind all this bullshit about the law and the rights of the damned airline. This is bullshit plain and simple. What part of "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it" don't you understand?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.