Gawain

Sled Driver - Flying the World's Fastest Jet

Hey guys, haven't popped in for a while and thought I would pass along an update about things. Business and school have been tangling up my time sufficiently that I've been grounded for about two years, not the end of the world, I've been grounded for longer and made it back in the sky, so I am confident I will make that happen again.

Since then, with my primary business slowing down, I started a new venture here in Sacramento with a one-hour veteran radio show, "Veteran Radio." The program discusses the myriad of issues veterans from different generations face. The show has been running weekly since late March.

This Saturday, at 11:00am pacific, I will have Maj. Brian Shul as a guest for the whole hour. Maj. Shul is the author of the collectible and highly sought after book, "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet."

I recall many times here in the forums people sharing the story about "Aspen 20" asking for a ground speed check from ATC to show the rest of the "mortal" aircraft what true speed was, so I am sure there are fans who wish they could afford his book (some copies go for thousands of dollars).

I also know that there are a lot of pilots that roam around here, and as skydivers we too have a bit of an aviator's ear and are pilots under canopy.

Well, I don't have the book, but I'll have the book's author and we'll talk about Vietnam, his work on the A-10 and obviously his time flying the Blackbird.

For those that aren't in range of 1380 AM in Sacramento, you can stream it live on www.KTKZ.com at 11:00am pacific this Saturday, October 6th.

Maj. Shul will be live in the studio and if the conversation permits, we will take listener calls.

So that's what's up! B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Thousands of $$$? Holy crap, I should have bought it from him in person at Boeing field 10 years ago for $50, I think it was. My son Brett, the new A license jumper in our family, was with me and said I should. One paycheck, four kids, I took a pass. Good looking book, though. :)

If I overnight my copy for you would you have him sign it for me?

Sorry man, didn't see this post till late last night. He has a gallery not far from here and I expect to link up with him at a future time after the show. I am sure I could get him to sign it then. Interested?

For years, I wanted to own a copy, but copies, even used ones have been out of reach. I found an outstanding, near new quality Third Edition at a Goodwill store of all places. Amazing.
Make light!

I found an outstanding, near new quality Third Edition at a Goodwill store of all places. Amazing.

I hate you.

Reprint the book or get him to put it up on the Kindle. I don't care if someone just scans it and makes a PDF, I would love to read it, but I can't justify buying a copy and I don't feel comfortable borrowing someone's high value copy.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

We'll be on the air in about 2 hours. If you want me to ask any specific questions, please post them here and we'll work them into the conversation (we'll try anyway, it's only a one hour program).

B|

Make light!

We'll be on the air in about 2 hours. If you want me to ask any specific questions, please post them here and we'll work them into the conversation (we'll try anyway, it's only a one hour program).

B|

Question 1: "Will you please re-print the book and/or would you please release an e-book edition?"

Question 2: (ask question 1 again until he says yes)

B|

Question 1: "Will you please re-print the book and/or would you please release an e-book edition?"

Ditto

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

B|

Ditto

Asked and answered off the air..."No." :P

Also, he is willing to sign your copy, PM me if you want me to make the arrangements. He is still working on his gallery and we agreed to link up again soon and stay in touch.

I will ask him again when I see him. ;)
Make light!

B|

Ditto

Also, he is willing to sign your copy, PM me if you want me to make the arrangements. He is still working on his gallery and we agreed to link up again soon and stay in touch.

Resold used books makes that man no money. I want to give him my money to read his book. I am not alone. Why is this so hard?>:(

B|

Ditto

Resold used books makes that man no money. I want to give him my money to read his book. I am not alone. Why is this so hard?>:(

I will advise him of that. :D
Make light!

This Saturday, at 11:00am pacific, I will have Maj. Brian Shul as a guest for the whole hour. Maj. Shul is the author of the collectible and highly sought after book, "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet."

I recall many times here in the forums people sharing the story about "Aspen 20" asking for a ground speed check from ATC to show the rest of the "mortal" aircraft what true speed was, so I am sure there are fans who wish they could afford his book (some copies go for thousands of dollars).

WOW! I thought you were wildly incorrect (I can't spell exzagerrating so I'm not using that word), but take a look here -- $2500!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Sled-Driver-Flying-Worlds-Fastest/dp/0972268200/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349617332&sr=8-1&keywords=%22Sled+Driver%3A+Flying+the+World%27s+Fastest+Jet.%22
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

I didn't know the back story on Brian Shul: That he rode an AT-28 into the jungle in Vietnam, and nearly died from the resulting fireball.:o

Anyway, here is a 70m presentation he gave at Lawrence Livermore last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigZsFypdyI

He is a hell of an entertaining speaker!:D
If you want to jump ahead to the "LA Speed" story, (at 56:00) use this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigZsFypdyI&t=56m

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.