who is Scotty Carbone?

...lean back....close your eyes....tune out all the random noise surrounding you....and listen only to your own imagination.

...can you hear it?
Yes, Scotty is the one in the apron shouting:
[/I]"WHY ARE ALL THESE DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS TALKING ABOUT ME LIKE I JUST FUCKING DIED??!!"[/I][/B]:D
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

Actually, I think MOST people with any salt to them have a good Scotty story. He is not only a great organizer, but also one funny son of a bitch and a great cook.

Chuck

My webpage HERE

I'm trying to find some old pics from way back when...[:/]

"I THINK" I took Strong Tandem Instructor course with Scotty in about 86...:)

THOSE pics would be worth some $$$$;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

As most of the older jumpers here I have several Scotty stories that arent for publication......I think this one might be ok.

Quincy 1990.....I just did my 1000th jump and was well on my way to being pickled......here comes Scotty with a gallon jug....you know the big ones with the handle.....of Peach Schnapps.

He and I knocked back that whole sumbitch listening to Steppenwolf live......if my memory is still correct.

The next morning i'm in the shower house....under the shower...puking my guts out. I hear the same thing going on a couple stalls down.....sure enough it was Scotty. He looks at me with those solid red eyes......just like mine......we need a beer boz.
He had some in his van.....it was a good day.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Two Carbone Stories:

Are you ready for . . .

"Scotty Carbone Goes to Bridge Day!"

It was '91 or '92 - and while I may not recall the year exactly I'll never forget Scotty being there. Here's an event (Bridge Day) where outlandish characters are a dime a dozen and then there's Scotty . . .

About 11:30 I'm nearing the end of my Jump Master shift when I hear this huge tractor trailer rig coming down the opposite side of the bridge with its air horn blasting away. As it got closer there he was. Scotty is standing on the trucks running board in a loud orange jumpsuit, waving his pilot chute in one hand, and still blowing the horn with the other. At this point there is still a very long line of jumpers.

The truck stops and Scotty jumps down. I got a quick glance at the driver, and he looked a bit befuddled - I'm sure Scotty just jumped on board back at the traffic light and ordered him to drive. Scotty jumps the wall that divides the roadbed and now he's in a sea of wuffos but I can hear him. In that lovable way Scotty has, "Move outta my way," and " look out there, partner!" He parts the crowd and then he did something I've never seen before and something that even for BASE is out there . . .

Cool, I think, this will liven things up a bit. But, without so much as a how do you do, or by your leave, he walks up to a small opening in the rail (between jumpers in line) and without looking over or anything else he just leans over and he's gone.

Later at the after-jump meeting in the park someone got up and mentioned he didn't appreciate, "That asshole Carbone cutting the line." And there were a few nods of agreement from other jumpers. Then this voice from the back, and unmistakably it's Scotty, says, "Well, you're fucking wife liked it!"

So the guy charges into Scotty and for a few moments it's like a Popeye cartoon and the fists, legs, and dust are flying. Scotty had been drinking a little ;) but as we moved in to break it up he was starting to get the better of the other guy.

All's well that ends well as they were both hoisting beers together back at the hotel . . .

"Scotty Carbone Goes to the PIA Covention!"

A few years later I'm at a PIA Convention in Orlando, Florida and the Knights had just done a sunset demo into the hotel parking lot. Meanwhile we (BASE jumpers) were planning a night demo into the pool off the 9-story roof. It was too early yet so we agreed to meet later – but by that time I was drinking too much corporate alcohol to find my rig or the staircase. But I bumped into Scotty in the hallway and he says, "You ate yet? Come on, I'll buy ya dinner . . ."

So off we go but the hotel restaurant is already closed. The manager was there as they were cleaning still and Scotty pulls him aside and says, "Hey, what about rustling us up some sandwiches, or something."

Here's a classic case of not the way to handle people. The manager got all indignant and starts going on about when the place is closed its closed, period! He wasn't a pleasant fellow to say the least. So Scotty says to me, "Come on – this guy has got his schedule and I got mine." I lost him in the lobby for a moment but then he re-appeared and now he had two clip boards and two pens. "Here," he said handing me one of each. "just do what I do." I followed him around to the back side of the hotel, through a couple of doors, and all of a sudden we were in the kitchen.

There were about a dozen of the staff in there but I tried not to look anyone in the eye. Scotty started looking under the counters and behind things. Oh, I thought, I get it; we are Inspectors of some sort. I pretended to write something down on my clip board when Scotty struck gold. In a reefer he opened there was what must have been a 60 pound Mackerel.

"You like Sushi?" he asks, "Sure do." I reply, "Well, grab an end," he says . . .

We walked out of there clean as a whistle and no one said anything to us. I guess they thought we were confiscating it. But we didn't get too far. About half way across the parking lot I hear Mr. Manager yelling at us to stop. It's been my experience that when someone yells stop - it's best to go. So we took off running and of course we dropped the fish. Scotty reaches down and starts dragging it while yelling at me, "Run Nick, save yourself!"

But before I could do anything two police cars rolled up on us. We were caught between their spot lights and a by now, hysterical Mr. Manager. The next thing is two boys on the hood. Okay, I know when to quit and become Mr. Perfect Prisoner, but not Scotty. "So come on," he's telling the cops, "we're just a couple of drunks at a convention, let’s not roll this up into a big fucking ball." And just as I'm thinking of making a break for it Scotty says, "What the fuck you gonna charge us with – grand fish?"

It was then, before it got worse, I chimed in with, "Come on, he can have his fish back."

Then Mr. Manager put the nail in it, "It's not my fish anymore, it’s your fish. And here's the bill." My credit card took a real beating that night as that was an $800 fish, when it's all cut up. But it's a $1000 story - so it all pencils out . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

only time i ever met scotty is when he was being the official judge of the wet t-shirt contest at WFFC a couple years ago. It goes really really south in about 10 seconds, and hes up there having a great time with about a dozen hot naked chicks, grabbing them and such.

then from being the stage comes his wife, who gives him "the eye" and you see scotty look kinda embarrised. but 30 seconds later hes grabbing the chicks all over again. :D

and i think if it was anybody but scotty, they would have slapped him. but they loved it!

MB 3528, RB 1182

Okay, I recognize him now from the picture!

I thought that chain smoking old geezer hanging out at the dz with those crazy dogs was Tami's grandpa staying with her while she is looking for a good oldfolks home for him....:S

maybe I should invite him on a skydive, if he is still able to......:P

marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

I can't believe I missed this thread!

My Scotty story:

Packing at x-keys in 98. New jumper, even newer packer. This old wrinkled man asks me if I will pack for him. I say sure and start packing. I think it was a batwing but I'm not sure.

He comes back in after the next jump and the conversation goes something like this:

Scotty: Hey kid, what's your name?

Me: Daless

Scotty: Daless? Ok! jesus fucking christ daless! I can't have openings like that! I'm pulling at 800 feet god damnit!

Me: I'm sorry, you want me to speed it up?

Scotty: Hell yes I want you to speed it up! Pack it again!

After the next jump:

Scotty: What the fuck are you trying to do to me kid? I told you to speed it up, not slow it down!

He drops the rig on the floor and storms out of the hangar. He walks back in a few seconds later, as I already have the canopy over my shoulder. I notice, much to my dismay that he has a steak knife in his hand. He walks up, grabs the slider and cuts an X right through the middle of the slider.

"There, try that!" he says and walks away.

I look at Jono, the guy who ran the matt, and he says, "That's Scotty. Pack it again, and leave the nose out....by the way, you might want to get paid in advanced."

Later, he tried to pay me with food!

I almost peed in my pants reading this! :D:D:D

Good story JD.

Yves.

I know your post was a year ago but I,m new to this site but Ive been around the community. Scotty Carbone?, I meet a dude down in Z hills durring the 1st world meet of CRW 1980, I think the DZ owner was named Hooper and he was not a fan of Scottys. Not being from the east coast and only having 200 jumps or so and in our first competion I didn't know anything and we partied with Scotty we all decided to go to the crystal springs for a swim and on the way back we stopped at a local bar had a few and he told us of scuba gear jumps and what ever else (after all who cares he is a SKYGOD) the guy had some stories, on the way back to the DZ we stopped at KFC for some chicken after Scottie ate the leg to the bone he decieded that he would show us his body piercings and you would not believe where he went with that bone. It was way more than I ever wanted to know. We recovered and took the bronze in 4 way rotation but who knows, without that shock at such a young age one will never know. The guy made an impression!!!
Tbdavis1

Okay, I recognize him now from the picture!

I thought that chain smoking old geezer hanging out at the dz with those crazy dogs was Tami's grandpa staying with her while she is looking for a good oldfolks home for him....:S

maybe I should invite him on a skydive, if he is still able to......:P

marc[/reply

Watch your back after words like these!

Hey! I MISS SCOTTY AND TAMI!!
I was just thinking about these two. Hey Scotty and Tami, if you are reading this CALL ME!! My old Freefall phone got eaten by my retriever. Boy was she a good retriever, but man every time the phone rang she brought it to me.
Anyway, your phone number was programmed into it, and the phone numbers weren't retrievable when Annie got done with the phone.
I have a new phone, same old phone number, CALL ME.
Are you guys gonna come and feed us at the World Free Fall Convention in 2008?
MMMmmm, I'm looking forward to your steak already!!

skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

ahh Scotty Carbounce. i havent seen him in 28 years.when he was jumping at Ripcord Parcenter in Nj (1978or so) rumor was he tried to emulate the scene in "Gypsy moths " where Burt Lancaster walks out of his harness just as he lands(quick ejector hardware ). scotty's plan was to pull his cutaway handle just as he landed....misjudged and cutaway at about 10 feet.!

We did a ""Gypsy moths " (all rounds) 9-way jump back 04 and guess I should have gave him Taggerts jumbo, but he got a pioneer recovery systems MK-1 (an all f-111 PC) his fat ass was the only one who didn't get in and was down & dirty, then he slamed in on landing. The next day I went to interview him for the boogie video and found him sitting in a chair with a jumbo bag of ice on his ass and crying about the pain, till the camera came on and then he was all smiles and hid the bag of ice.;)

To this day when I ask if wants to do a jump all he says is FUCK YOU! (with a smile of course)

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

let me tell you about SCOTTY and TAMMY

Here is an old fart as old as me with a wife as young and good looking as mine. He likes to come off as gruff,mean,harsh and full of bull shit ,but let me tell you who he really is

here is a man not afraid to cry when someone burns in, who calls jumpers together and begs then to not be stupid
someone not afraid to give another man or woman a hug in time of sorrow.

someone not afraid to go up to a young jumper and help

anyone that loves dogs and dogs love him has a heart of gold

Tammy is as good a woman as they come,caring,and goes out of her way to prod,push,help younger jumpers forward in the sport.
She has to be a great person to put up with SCOTTY and all his BS
Everyone has bad/off days ,I never saw her have a bad day.

SCOTTY with one word or look can bring a sky-god crashing back to reality.

Who else do you know that has the balls to wear a Halloween costume of BULL SH#%

when Scotty calls you BROTHER he means it and makes you feel good.

TAMMY PINK MAFIA SISTER and has always been ready to prod the ladies and help them into the PMS

Here are 2 folks I am proud to call friends

IF YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH EITHER
come on over and lets talk
cause YOU got a problem

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

Animals love him (not you guys...I mean real animals) like Uncle Remus. I haven't seen him in over a year - does he still have that little bird that flew to him (in the Keys, I think) after it apparently got swept from home in the hurricane a few years ago? Flew straight to him, if I recall correctly, after he answered its whistle and was so at-home on his shoulder.

...unless, of course, that is another bullshit story like Tami's Herc's-leg-bitten-off-by-alligator-whose-head-is-now-on-the-bar-at-Skydive-Miami story that she tried to pull over on me that time when I first met her at Z-hills a few years ago.
Roll Tide Roll

Mid-seventies I knew Scotty from a distance being from Pittsburgh like I was. Moved South and met him again at the 76 Z-Hills boogie. Sonofabitch disqualified my girlfriend from the what tee shirt contest for "reasons of protocol". I don't know whether it was the boob job scars or her telling him to " Keep your fucking hands off me Carbone."

Scotty was always around but you'd never know when you'd see him. We made jumps in Deland with huge whoops of laughter that still make me smile.

I attained the status of self perceived skygod after a few years in Deland. Took a few years off and went out to Ghouledge to meet up with some Pittsburgh jumpers and dust off my BASE head. Damn if Scotty ain't there cooking. He made me feel like a king! Remembered me and my wife like we were next door neighbors at the DZ. Gave me crystals for the baby. Stayed up and talked then had coffee early.

Back to that skygod thing... Welp; I went up on a dive that Scotty put together and went last for a back-in. Dive went so-so for a point or two until I TOOK THE DAMN THING OUT!!! I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed. Took out a throw-together load of strangers but felt like I had blown one of the 400 ways. Sorry Scotty.

Scotty, I've moved to Turners Falls, MA. They still talk about you at the Hippy commune and Spirit in Flesh is alive. What a long strange trip it's been. Looking forward to seeing y'all again.

jon

SCOTY is the only man alive I know that could squeeze my wifes DD's and cause me to laugh

Scotty and Tammy are the type of folks that make this sport what it is and the younger jumpers need to watch the show..BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER SCottys water runs DEEP just cause he can do it does not mean you can do it and live

I for one am proud Scotty is my bro

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com