who is Scotty Carbone?

i'll never forget the first time i saw scotty, he had that hat on, and went up on a big way, and he was always the first to land, it was funny to watch him with that "bart simpson" hat! (what else could ya call it?) good memories..............
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

I've jumped with him many times. The first time was at Lost Prairie and he stated that if he spotted anyone "out" he would buy beer. ....He bought beer...4 of us landed in the middle of a flooded sheep pasture. DON'T GET EXCITED GUYS, nothing happened :D
The next time I saw him was at WFFC in 94 and I won't discuss what I saw him doing on stage with the wet t-shirt contest. :$
SKYDIVING GAVE ME A REASON TO LIVE....

Two little known facts about Scotty; 1. He had the foresight to buy the first hand deployed rig I ever made. 2. During the first year of tandem jumping here at DeLand, when everyone (including me) was a little scared of it, Scotty was in constant demand as a tandem passenger for those jumpers who were getting their initial tandem rating. Why? Because of all the crazy stuff we'd seen him get away with over the years, there was a widely held belief that he simply couldn't die...no matter what. That gave tandem master newbies a nice warm feeling as they stepped out on their first tandem jump. Scotty was always way "over the top", but no one could have a better friend. He even let me judge the famous wet tee shirt contest (where Jerry Bird got arrested) in Z-hills in the late '70's. I think we all got in trouble because the Mayor's daughter came in second. Anyway, at the trial, I was the "unidentified bearded man" sitting right next to Jerry in all the photos. Thanks Scotty. I'll never forget it. Bill

"Agh, its got its own weather system!"
Yeah, I have a fairly large (physically, sometimes mentally ;)) head. Makes it a bitch when trying to buy a helmet, let me tell ya!
Mr. Booth,
Great story! I love stories like that, too bad I wasn't around to experience that sort of craziness back then. I guess I'm going to have to go out of my way to try to create some of my own...:D
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

Scotty is such a sweet guy, and funny as hell! I think he'd take more offense to my calling him sweet then any stories we could come up with - I might ruin his 'reputation' ;) It's hilarious how he hangs out the door at take off, his face flapping like a dog's in the wind, the way he is always reminding us to check our handles and the way he pitched in to help some of us get some fantastic coaching, then cooking for us in between jumps!
I'm very glad I got the opportunity to meet and jump with him :)
Closing pin necklaces!

What a bunch of wusses! Bill

I think they lovingly refer to us as the "Yuppie Skydiver" generation. You know, square mains AND reserves, rigs that actually fit you, matching gear , protract computers and of course, Cypress'.
But there couldn't be Yuppie Skydivers if it weren't for the pioneers of the sport.
Fly Your Slot !

I have to agree with some of the people posting regarding WHO THE STRANGER IS????? Bare you soul pussy.....who are you and did you stir up what you thought you were gonna???? Actually....who cares! Scotty loves this kind of stuff. HA
Boy, Scotty is gonna get an even BIGGER HEAD when I show him this one. Actually to all the REALLY know him, you know that he will get all weepy and teary eyed and say "god I love the people in this sport"!
I know the story behind the first post by the STRANGER. I will wait for Scotty to get home and we will get the story to you'all ITS FUNNY. Its from the Herd Days at United Parachute Club. But until then, I want to share my favorite skydive story with Scotty (and most all 700 have been with him).
It was a Skydive made in Rosharon Texas with one of are good friends from Dropzone.com ZENNIE. Zennie was new and not many dives under his belt. I think it was a 12 way or something like that. All I know is Zennie was flying with his legs up his ass "like most of all did when we first started"....and he almost took the formation out once maybe twice? I was looking in the center for the key (which was Scotty) and all the sudden Scotty started BEATING ZENNIE ON THE TOP OF HIS HEAD!!! It was so freaking funny, I thought I was gonna pee myself in freefall from laughing so hard. ZENNIE TOOK IT VERY WELL and it is on VIDEO..... Zennie do you have it???? Maybe Quinton does.
I will have Scotty get on line when he comes home in a bit, He is working hard on building the back half of our food trailer....the front half just isnt big enough anymore.....man can these FREEFLYING SKYDIVE AMERICA MEN AND WOMEN EAT GOOD :-)
More to come from Scotty himself
Love you all (Tami)
Scotty -n- Tami

all the sudden Scotty started BEATING ZENNIE ON THE TOP OF HIS HEAD!!! It was so freaking funny, I thought I was gonna pee myself in freefall from laughing so hard. ZENNIE TOOK IT VERY WELL and it is on VIDEO..... Zennie do you have it???? Maybe Quinton does.

OMG!!! If he does I want it! That sucker's going on my web page. I gotta admit, it was a bit embarassing, but even I thought it was funny.
Yup, I was a newbie pup. Went low for the umpteenth time and backslid out. So here comes Scotty and I'm thinking he'll grab me and bring me back. He gets up to me. Gives me the "legs out" sign and SMACKS me upside the helmet! :D
So yes I have literally been beaten on in freefall. Just like the movies! :D
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

The other thing I want to add, besides the fact that I miss you both terribly, is that Scotty also watched out for me and the other newbies. He was always coming up to the mock-up and showing us flailers better ways to get a good exit off. He'd bail us out on big ways. Taught us to do hoop dives.
Great man with a big heart.
Lotsa love to both of ya!
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Yes....that is Scotty at his best. Scotty has been working with ALL the students here as well. We did one on ones with them all week. We have 3 fresh of Student Status so he is taking 1 and I am taking the other. If we dont grab them right away, the Dark Side will get them :-)
We tell them that they are ours for a while FIRST!
Scotty -n- Tami

Anyone got any stories/info on him?

One time, at the Carbone zone, I was lying on the carbonezone bar and various jumps were doing body shots off of me. Well, Scotty ran out of tequila :( and we didn't know what to do.
So, since most of the crazy's had a few tequila shots already, Scotty had to improvise....proceding to line up the body shots........with VODKA.
Funny part that between the salt and lime and licking ..no one even noticed!
Master of the alternate plan.
Fly Your Slot !

"It's like an orange on a toothpick"

ROFL - or say.... a pumpkin!?!? ;)
I jumped with Scotty about 5 out of my 7 jumps when I was down in Houston.... He is an GREAT guy, & treats us lowtimers really good! It amazed me how much he could see on one skydive, he was able to land & give each person on the skydive some kind of advice. He also made it a point to make every jump fun, something that a lot of people at his level tend to forget.... Can't wait to jump with you again Scotty!
Blues!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"