who is Scotty Carbone?

When I asked Scotty to sign my logbook, (he took me on my first 10-way, bless him :):D:D:D

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Scotty is a one-of-a-kind. God, or the devil.... broke the mold when either one made him. Awesome dude, always entertaining. He was my wingman on the Alabama state record 40 way in '97. He even wore his fuzzy hat.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Someone posted "rest in peace" on FB. Somehow that seems really inappropriate for Scotty

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My twin brother Randy and his girlfriend at the time, Julie were on the load. It was a 30 way "dick and balls" load. After it finally formed, Scotty was on the tip and pulled his canopy to simulate an ejaculation. He always had an unabashed imagination. We were on the same team at the 74 Hinckley SCR scrambles and we won by having a safety meeting before each dive and planning an after formation on each dive to keep folks from overamping on the first required formation. Randy's team got second. We were friends and party cohorts for many years with the winky bar chef.
Rick Harrison

Scotty was larger than life. A true legend in his time. He lived louder and on the edge more than anyone I've ever met. His stories were unbelievable (but believable, knowing Carbone).

Some of my favourite skydiving memories are from Quincy 1995 and 96 with Scotty as a soundtrack to my memories.

- In 1995, I drove up to Quincy from Deland with Scotty & Rickerby. Rickerby in his van, and Scotty in his RV. The two fought like an old married couple, but loved each other to death, best buds until the end I believe. Scotty surfed his pet lizards out the RV window. Only one survived the roadtrip, dying from the shock of all the airtime! We had a funeral and burial by the WFFC showerhouse for his dearly departed pet on arrival. He was so stricken with sadness and couldn't understand why it had died?!

- On my first & only Carbone-organized Quincy lingerie jump -- the last visual I had before opening was Scotty dive-tracking with his crazy trail-blazing hat.

- Scotty in his cow-suit (always the trendsetter, making the onesie popular!!) was host to the wet t-shirt contest. And then the storm came whipping through. What a night!
"Scotty in his element working up the crowd at the 1995 event for the Wet T Shirt Party- "Get out your 5 dollar bills and dollar bills and pass um on up..come on guys!" - then the storm hit" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r04jdLWA4dM.
Thankfully, I'm NOT in the video although I was in the contest :P.

Scotty had such a raspy voice -- as if he smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day -- and he was often curt, loud and brash as fuck. But boy, was he a kind (often generous) soul with an open and good heart.

Good times, great memories. I'm nostalgic in watching all the memorial ash-dive videos from this past Saturday -- he wanted his ashes spread on his birthday. 33 dropzones around the US and many more around the world participated. I'm so grateful to have grown up as a skydiver around that era, meeting the old-timers like Carbone, Rickerby, Dodgin. How about you?