mrubin

US 395 Road Trip

Next week I'm heading up to Tahoe for my cousin's bachelor party. Everyone else going is flying from San Diego to Sacramento and driving the rest of the way. Since I live in the LA area and flights are expensive, I've decided to drive.

I'm going to drive up the 14 to the 395. The others wont be arriving until about 10pm so I'm in no rush to get up there. What are some good places to stop along the way?
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The Whitney Portal Store at the main Mt. Whitney trailhead outside of Lone Pine is cool to check out and provides some killer views just on the drive up.

The Alabama Hills are cool, too. Loads of movie history.

Manzanar near Independence is well worth the stop for a somber reminder of our history.

The Bishop Burger Barn in Bishop is super quirky and delicious.

Depending on how much time you have, the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest and White Mountain are amazing.

That's a lot, and not even half way up. Enjoy the drive!

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm thinking I will head over to the Whitney Portal but stop for a quick hike at the Mobius Arch Loop Trail.

Also planning to stop at Mono Lake and if time permits, Manzanar.

How much time should I expect to spend at the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest? I don't have to be in Tahoe until late and am used to getting an early start on the day.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hey, thanks for posting this. We will be taking a few days and our trailer to drive Sacramento to SoCal and back in October (he has a meeting in San Diego). He just last night mentioned driving up 395 on the way home since neither of us has done it before. Now thanks to this thread most of my research is already done!

I think we'll be taking the Tioga Road (Hwy 120) back west through Yosemite if it's still open instead of continuing north to Tahoe. If we were heading north, I'd go check out Bodie State Historic Park, an old mining town.

Have fun!

Hey Lisa,

We did the 395 camping trip when Chris was younger one year.

There was a really nice campground with hookups in Bishop. Glad we had power, because we got some serious rain that trip:P

I would also add Fossil Falls as a nice little stop and hike. It's like a big outdoor McDonalds playland:)
You Guys have a Great trip..[[hugs]]

Tom

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

mrubin

Next week I'm heading up to Tahoe for my cousin's bachelor party. Everyone else going is flying from San Diego to Sacramento and driving the rest of the way. Since I live in the LA area and flights are expensive, I've decided to drive.

I'm going to drive up the 14 to the 395. The others wont be arriving until about 10pm so I'm in no rush to get up there. What are some good places to stop along the way?

Area 51 is pretty cool. Ck. it out and get back w/us. :S
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

Area 51 is pretty cool. Ck. it out and get back w/us. :S

Rode past it last summer on Nevada SR-375, with a stop for lunch at the Little A'Le'Inn - good burgers. You obviously can't see any of the base, but I rode up the access road as far as you can just to see it - where the blacktop starts, you're trespassing.

Someone mentioned Mono Lake and also Bodie - both excellent. Latte Da Coffee in Lee Vining has some of the best coffee I've ever had, and really good breakfast sandwiches. It's attached to a kitschy neat motel as well. I wish I had known about it instead of staying in Bridgeport at the Bridgeport Inn, which was nice, but super pricey.