jrjny

How Often You Check Reserve Pin?

Why would one not check the reserve pin prior to gearing up on every single jump?

Just wondering the thinking behind checking in the morning and not looking again. A lot can happen during a day of skydiving.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I check mine each time before I gear up. Before the first jump of the day, I lightly tug on the excess rip-cord just enough while looking at the other side by the reserve pin to make sure that it creates tension.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

I check mine each time before I gear up. Before the first jump of the day, I lightly tug on the excess rip-cord just enough while looking at the other side by the reserve pin to make sure that it creates tension.

Checking the reserve cable continuity from the handle to the pin is good practice, as well as checking the reserve pin before EVERY jump. Someone taught you well. :)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

> How often do you check your reserve pin?

Before every jump.

I have a standard gear check pattern that is
the same for every jump.

Over time it evolves, but between changes
it's a rut that I can do even when tired, dehydrated,
distracted, interrupted or whatever.

I remember once at a long, hot midwestern
boogie catching myself gear checking on auto-pilot.

My hands were doing all the right moves,
my eyes were aimed in the right direction,
but my brain was not engaged. I was just
going through the moves.

That told me that I was dangerously dehydrated,
as well as hot, tired, etc, and probably shouldn't
even be jumping.

Skr

Once per day minimum when turning on Cypress, cord and housing check. Recheck if someone besides me has played with my gear or a creative (bad or flaling) landing. Normally not on succesive jumps as I would be concerned about wearing tuckflaps on Javalin by opening flaps every jump.(which is just a opinion)

Wow - at the time I checked the results, 58% of you only check it once a day? C'mon guys, that's a bit on the complacent side, don't ya think? All kinds of things can happen to a rig between the landing area and the loading area. Of all the things you check before every jump, I find it hard to believe that the condition of your last possible chance to survive wouldn't be one of them.

Sure would suck to chop a mal and only THEN realize there's a problem getting a reserve pin to extract.

Of course if you're using an AAD, there's always a cutter provided activation to save your ass. Enjoy the ground rush.:o

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

> How often do you check your reserve pin?

Before every jump.

I have a standard gear check pattern that is
the same for every jump.

Over time it evolves, but between changes
it's a rut that I can do even when tired, dehydrated,
distracted, interrupted or whatever.

I remember once at a long, hot midwestern
boogie catching myself gear checking on auto-pilot.

My hands were doing all the right moves,
my eyes were aimed in the right direction,
but my brain was not engaged. I was just
going through the moves.

That told me that I was dangerously dehydrated,
as well as hot, tired, etc, and probably shouldn't
even be jumping.

Skr

Somewhere around jump #120 I did a tandem jump with a newly-graduated tandem instructor. Even at that low number of jumps I must have already settled into a routine because during the ride to altitude I caught myself several times checking things I wasn't wearing. (weird feeling!)

I miss the answer: "Once in a while"..

To be fair, I don't do it often enough...

Hahaha :D
You need the answer: " Once! After the reserve repack"

Take care mate ;)

Voted for "Before every jump"
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Checking the reserve cable continuity from the handle to the pin is good practice, as well as checking the reserve pin before EVERY jump. Someone taught you well. :)

Why yes, they sure did. Now if only I could remember who taught me;)

Ask your sister..... Oops, that didn't sound right....hahaha
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Ask your sister..... Oops, that didn't sound right....hahaha

That made me LOL. She needs to get her ass out there and jump before she passes up her 30 days.

Wow - at the time I checked the results, 58% of you only check it once a day? C'mon guys, that's a bit on the complacent side, don't ya think?

I know several AFF instructors who only check it once a day. Personally I don't think that's setting the best example for their students, but they disagree with me on that point.

Wow - at the time I checked the results, 58% of you only check it once a day? C'mon guys, that's a bit on the complacent side, don't ya think? All kinds of things can happen to a rig between the landing area and the loading area. Of all the things you check before every jump, I find it hard to believe that the condition of your last possible chance to survive wouldn't be one of them.

Sure would suck to chop a mal and only THEN realize there's a problem getting a reserve pin to extract.

Of course if you're using an AAD, there's always a cutter provided activation to save your ass. Enjoy the ground rush.:o

Why should I check it? Reserve pin does not move. I don't check it more than once a day unless I get a bump. Thanks God, not all places have this excessive pin check culture.

Of course if you're using an AAD, there's always a cutter provided activation to save your ass. Enjoy the ground rush.

That was a nice try to drive by fear....Did it ever work on grown ups?

Of course if you're using an AAD, there's always a cutter provided activation to save your ass. Enjoy the ground rush.

That was a nice try to drive by fear....Did it ever work on grown ups?

Damn, dude - somebody piss in your wheeties? That's just a bit of delightfully dark skydiving humor, but it apparently swooped right over your head.

Now go get a pin check.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Interesting... I check mine as part of my packing process (i.e. when I finish packing), and at the start of any day (I have to turn my AAD on anyway...)

So no, I don't check it *immediately* before every jump, but I do check it before every jump...

Is that wrong?

Sure someone could tamper with it (intentionally (bastard) or otherwise (whuffo/accident)) or it could be knocked, bitten by a dog, bent by a child etc. etc. but in that event, should I unpack my main to check no-one has put a shed-load of twists in?

Where do we draw the line?

Interesting... I check mine as part of my packing process (i.e. when I finish packing), and at the start of any day (I have to turn my AAD on anyway...)

So no, I don't check it *immediately* before every jump, but I do check it before every jump...

Is that wrong?

Sure someone could tamper with it (intentionally (bastard) or otherwise (whuffo/accident)) or it could be knocked, bitten by a dog, bent by a child etc. etc. but in that event, should I unpack my main to check no-one has put a shed-load of twists in?

Where do we draw the line?

It's part of my 'EVERY TIME' routine while putting on the rig, check BOTH pins and the handle, flip it over and check both handles on the front, look for wear on the webbing at the tighten down hardware...sling it up and strap it on.

20 second investment on my health and well-being isn't a big deal.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>C'mon guys, that's a bit on the complacent side, don't ya think?

How many incidents have resulted from, or been made more likely by, checking one's reserve pin once a day instead of once per jump?

The one serious accident I was aware of involved a student who managed to open his reserve on the step of the aircraft. He had had three reserve pin checks, the last one a few minutes before exit. Broken femur, damaged aircraft.

>C'mon guys, that's a bit on the complacent side, don't ya think?

How many incidents have resulted from, or been made more likely by, checking one's reserve pin once a day instead of once per jump?

The one serious accident I was aware of involved a student who managed to open his reserve on the step of the aircraft. He had had three reserve pin checks, the last one a few minutes before exit. Broken femur, damaged aircraft.

The real question is, how many have been avoided by doing a quick pin check?

As far as any certifiable fatalities cause by not checking a reserve pin...I don't really know, maybe none....but I am positive that that's one case of beer I never wanna owe!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~