NewGuy2005

Any Mead Makers or Drinkers Here?

Hey folks

The first Saturday of August is National Mead Day, in case you did not know. I celebrated by starting a 5 gallon batch of dry traditional.

In case you don't know what mead is, here's what Wikipedia says:

Mead (archaic and dialectal meath or meathe, from Old English medu) is an alcoholic beverage created by fermenting honey with water, sometimes with various fruits, spices, grains, or hops. The alcoholic content ranges from about 8% ABV to more than 20%. The defining characteristic of mead is that the majority of the beverage's fermentable sugar is derived from honey. It may be still, carbonated, or naturally sparkling; dry, semi-sweet, or sweet.
Mead was produced in ancient history throughout Europe, Africa and Asia.

Anyone out there make or enjoy mead?

Used to be a home brewer and we made quite a few batches! Tasty stuff when it turns out right.

But, Johnny liked his booze too much, so no more home brewing for me. Spent 30 days in rehab this spring, and sold all my equipment after I got home. Just celebrated 90 days of sobriety this weekend! :)

justme12001

I'm a brewer as well...though I haven't made anything in about a year or so.

I do love mead and have made a few batches. It is tasty when made right, pretty bad when it isn't!

So, what have you made and what methods did you use? Dry, sweet, fruit?

There is a lot of outdated how to information on the internet that will make some mead that is hard to like.

Booze Traveler episode. W.R.Hearst had the monastery taken brick by brick from Spain I believe to Miami. Ran outta $$$. Was bought and rebuilt. Drinking mead w/a monk/priest. http://www.travelchannel.com/videos/honey-mead-in-a-monastery-0260203 I've been meaning to brew some. First alcohol from Rome or Egypt. Gotta watch the whole episode.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I think I'm lucky. The local ale house (a micropub) sells locally produced real ales, ciders and meads. Several to choose from and changed at least twice a week, sometimes more often (depends on if a particular drink is popular).
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

JohnnyMarko

Used to be a home brewer and we made quite a few batches! Tasty stuff when it turns out right.

But, Johnny liked his booze too much, so no more home brewing for me. Spent 30 days in rehab this spring, and sold all my equipment after I got home. Just celebrated 90 days of sobriety this weekend! :)

Good job, brother :)

With 21 years clean and sober I can tell you with absolute certainty that life can be awesome. No alcohol needed.
__

My mighty steed