BillyVance

What was your first phone?

Of the choices in this meme, #11 is the closest to mine, but I actually had a RIM pager first, circa 1998...

Twardowski, however.... had this.... :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Of the choices in this meme, #11 is the closest to mine, but I actually had a RIM pager first, circa 1998...

2 tin cans and a string.[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

First one was Qualcomm's second phone - the NGP (next generation phone.) It looked a lot like 6. Next was Qualcomm's third phone, the TGP (#9.) There was a 4GP that I had for a little while before Qualcomm sold the business to Kyocera. All three still work although the NGP won't connect to any networks any more.

First cell phone was a #4 (or similar) circa 1997. In 00, I got a #5. Motorola Startac, the first of the "smaller is cooler" phones. It was also the first "no roaming" nationwide plan with Verizon.

I had that until 09(?) when it suddenly stopped working. The phone itself worked just fine, but it couldn't find a signal.
The Verizon guy was amazed. He hadn't seen one of those in years. The support guy he talked to was also amazed. They no longer had any documentation (paper or electronic) on it.
The network had updated and it was left behind. :(.

Had rotary dial phones in my parent's house forever. When mom finally gave up and sold it in 07, they were still there (installed roughly 1973).
The kids of the people that bought it were absolutely dumbfounded by them. They had no idea how to make them work.
I'm kinda amazed that they still did actually work.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

aphid

This. In pale yellow.

Ditto: With the 30' cord.

Cell phones were: Truck mounted cell first, then 1, 4, 11, 14 & 18.

14 - the Motorola Razr was and is still prolly my favorite.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BillyVance

My first cellphone although it was 1988 I think w/Primeco. The brick. 1100 $ and 40 cents a min. Moving onto my boat in two yrs. Sat. phone. 1000$ and a buck a min. Hopefully cheaper in 2 yrs. http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/03/first-mobile-phone-call-was-placed-40-years-ago-today.html
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

One of these: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2508/3858850863_14f93e79a8_b.jpg

If you mean first mobile (cell) phone, then one of these: http://www.retrofones.com/image/cache/data/Philips/Diga/1-500x500.JPG Got it free when I opened a student bank account in 1998. Out round about number 6 on your list - certainly pre-dated number 7.

BillyVance

Mine is #1 and I still have my brick... although the one I have is the second one I bought... the first one is sitting on the bottom of the Not-So-Pacific Ocean about 1000' deep. I think a halibut has owned it for all this time. :ph34r: