Eagleeye

Question on propeller strikes, engine service?

So a plane loses front landing gear, then propeller(s) strike ground. Assuming no skin damage, the landing gear is replaced and the propeller(s) are replaced. Is there any special engine mechanical repair that needs to be done from a propeller strike? Does this result in engine damage?

Eagleeye

So a plane loses front landing gear, then propeller(s) strike ground. Assuming no skin damage, the landing gear is replaced and the propeller(s) are replaced. Is there any special engine mechanical repair that needs to be done from a propeller strike? Does this result in engine damage?

Not much. Just a complete teardown and inspection. Probably a new crankshaft assuming it's a piston engine. Other than that, no.

And aircraft don't just "lose" their front gear. Something has to break it off. If you are talking about a small Cessna for the front gear is supported by the firewall. Which will sustain major damage before the gear is "lost".
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***So a plane loses front landing gear, then propeller(s) strike ground. Assuming no skin damage, the landing gear is replaced and the propeller(s) are replaced. Is there any special engine mechanical repair that needs to be done from a propeller strike? Does this result in engine damage?

Not much. Just a complete teardown and inspection. Probably a new crankshaft assuming it's a piston engine. Other than that, no.

And aircraft don't just "lose" their front gear. Something has to break it off. If you are talking about a small Cessna for the front gear is supported by the firewall. Which will sustain major damage before the gear is "lost".

In other word don't buy it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

My ex-wife had a prop strike on what used to be our Grumman Tiger (then hers). Engine tear down/inspection. I think that the only thing they found, other than the trashed prop, was a spun crank bearing, which they could not positively attribute to the incident. Anyway, she opted to do a major overhaul while it was apart anyway, even though she was 1k hours away from the normal interval.

If the prop stops suddenly that imparts a huge mechanical load on the moving parts in the engine - even if just idling at 1000 rpm - and on all the parts they are restrained by, like bearings.

So a "sudden stoppage" definitely needs the engine opened up for inspection and measurement of parts. Generally engine companies want the same if a prop strike slowed the engine at all, such as when hitting some object while taxiing.

The actual law is a little complex as to what is mandatory in different circumstances. E.g, "What if you have a prop strike against an object, that slowed the engine but didn't stop it, and it is a Continental for which there is no AD about prop strike procedures unlike for Lycoming, and you are operating under Part 91 and not 135 where all service directives would be mandatory? "

Here's a big article in Avweb:
https://www.avweb.com/news/features/The-Prop-StrikeSudden-Stop-222325-1.html

I don't know the details myself...