jclalor

2017 Eclipse

Turns out that eleventh hour plans allowed us to drive from MD to Columbia, SC to see the total eclipse!

Having been on Oahu, HI in '91 with 99.9 % coverage (Big Island had totality), I wasn't sure how much different this would be, but it literally was like night and day! We we were out on Lake Murray, and it was awesome!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I know a couple from CO that went up to WY.
It just took them 4.5 hrs to drive from Casper to Rawlins (120 miles).
And they still need to get back to the Stagecoach Park area.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

There was virtually no traffic today in Columbia, SC, and this was forecasted as one of the most-to-be-visited spots on the east coast.

Not sure if all the east-coasters stayed home after hearing the traffic horror stories about the west coast. or if there are just more road options to get to totality?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

It took me 4 hours to go from Cincinnati to tn near Hopkinsville KY to get into the path of totality. It took me 7 hours to drive back. Return traffic was brutal.

This is the second eclipse I have seen. I don't understand why people didn't take the day to get to a place in the path of totality. The difference between 99.9% and 100% is indescribable.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

DiverMike

The difference between 99.9% and 100% is indescribable.

I have never seen a totality firsthand and do not deny it to be an amazing moment that I would love to see someday. Some laziness and a sever case of FOMO counterintuitively kept me in Colorado.

That said, I agree with you. A girl I am courting used the excuse "but I can see 94% eclipse from my apartment! why drive 24hrs round trip!?"

Huh, well, it's the difference between "just the tip, just to see how it feels" and whatever inevitably comes right after that. :)

Here is a thread created by one of my favorite posters in another forum. Initially I didn't agree with him, but after the disappointment of experiencing anything other than 100%, I realized he has a point.

He's an old cynical bastard, so I thought I share. . .

Thread title : Honk if you don't care about the eclipse

"Can you hear me?

This ridiculously hyped event may be of great importance to primitive tribes in New Guinea and the Amazon rain forest. To me, not so much."

oldwomanc6

Turns out that eleventh hour plans allowed us to drive from MD to Columbia, SC to see the total eclipse!

Having been on Oahu, HI in '91 with 99.9 % coverage (Big Island had totality), I wasn't sure how much different this would be, but it literally was like night and day! We we were out on Lake Murray, and it was awesome!

Hey, you were in my back yard, should have come by the party. Alcohol, grills, jet skis, boats, 35 skydivers and the eclipse, what could possibly go wrong? My place is 1/3 mile off the center line, it was amazing.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

ryoder

Destin (Smarter Every Day) went to WY so he could see the ISS transiting the eclipse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lepQoU4oek4

That was pretty damned amazing. Billions of people on earth, and you got to see less than a couple handful of lucky fuckers transiting the eclipse in space.

That's an all-time great picture and video for sure. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

DiverMike

It took me 4 hours to go from Cincinnati to tn near Hopkinsville KY to get into the path of totality. It took me 7 hours to drive back. Return traffic was brutal.

This is the second eclipse I have seen. I don't understand why people didn't take the day to get to a place in the path of totality. The difference between 99.9% and 100% is indescribable.

Vskydiver and I got up at 3:50 am to drive down to Salem, OR for the totality. About 35 minute delay due to traffic. We stopped in at our favorite Salem microbrewery, Gilgamesh, where we found an entire beer garden set up for the viewing, including complimentary viewing glasses.

Like you said, there is no substitute for experiencing the totality. Every minute of the 7+ hour drive home in bumper to bumper traffic was worth those amazing 1 minute and 57 seconds of eerie, primitive totality.

We rented the entire Moolack Shores Motel with 30 friends and family in all 12 rooms for the whole weekend. It was a few hundred meters north of the shadow's first landfall. Unbelievable amounts of shared food and wine. Kiting up and down the beach. Other hijinks I won't mention.

The weather kept me nervous up to the last second. There were entire minutes during the partial phase where nothing was visible. And the deepening cold created a thick fog. But when the moment came it was plenty clear enough. We got this picture through my telescope.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

JerryBaumchen

Hi Wendy,

at 96%, it was just kind of dim, but nowhere close to dark.

I cannot provide any numbers; however, it did not get dark until it was very near/just at 100%.

Also, it definitely cooled off during totality.

Jerry Baumchen

I did my Totality Cool Adventure to the east of Prairie City OR in the mountains dead center in the umbra and with a view out to 40+ miles on either side with the minimal lighting out in the penumbra... cool twilight far in the distance. Did some cool time-lapse every 2 seconds... :)

Hi Jeanne,

Totality Cool Adventure

For about a month prior, the local tv news kept saying, 'Once in a lifetime experience.'

Well, duh. I've seen two totals so far; 1979 & this one.

Though, I really doubt that I'll see three,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And none of this post is to take anything away from it being a 'Totality Cool Adventure.'

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jeanne,

Totality Cool Adventure

For about a month prior, the local tv news kept saying, 'Once in a lifetime experience.'

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And none of this post is to take anything away from it being a 'Totality Cool Adventure.'

Well the next one is in 2024, but only the eastern US is going to experience it. From Texas to the northeast.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jeanne,

Totality Cool Adventure

Jerry Baumchen

I will be retired for a few years for the next one and I am already making plans... for 2024
http://www.dothnet.net/dothnet/graphics/2024eclipsemap.JPG

Well, someone proved that looking at the eclipse without proper eye protection isn't a good idea.

I don't care how "badass" he is. He's stupid.

And speaking of stupid, sunblock is not a suitable substitute for proper eye protection, even if you put it on your eyes. (yes, really)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Well, someone proved that looking at the eclipse without proper eye protection isn't a good idea.

And speaking of stupid, sunblock is not a suitable substitute for proper eye protection, even if you put it on your eyes. (yes, really)

:D:D:D:D

Just when you think you've seen and heard about the most stupid people, somebody else outdoes them. :S

BillyVance

***Well, someone proved that looking at the eclipse without proper eye protection isn't a good idea.

Just when you think you've seen and heard about the most stupid people, somebody else outdoes them. :S

Never challenge an idiot about how stupid they can be..... most of them will take that challenge gleefully it seems.

Amazon

******Well, someone proved that looking at the eclipse without proper eye protection isn't a good idea.

Never challenge an idiot about how stupid they can be..... most of them will take that challenge gleefully it seems.

Thanks to the youtube generation, stupidity levels are through the roof.:|