jclalor

2017 Eclipse

quade

On the other hand, a TOTAL eclipse is far more rare a viewing opportunity than you're giving credit to. For the vast majority of people on the planet it would be a once in a lifetime thing if they were extraordinarily lucky. MOST people will never see a total eclipse with their own eyes.

For me personally, just because it's rare doesn't make it that special. The physics of orbital mechanics guarantees it happens, and will continue to happen until the sun burns out, whereas a snowflake - that's completely unique in all of history, for example. Chances are there will never be another one like the one you're looking at... and that's just one example.

I love that people are excited by the eclipse. I'd love for them to be more excited about MORE physics, astronomy and biology. But sadly it tends not to get the news time so people miss out on stuff.

And no, I didn't take this shot. I wish I did!

I've had to explain to two older relatives in the US that they will not see a total eclipse (where they live) and it will not be getting dark for 2plus minutes in their respective areas.

Granted both are dumbasses (not blood relations), but is this common?; do the Trump-voter types think all of America will be experiencing a total eclipse?
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Calvin19

***is this common?; do the Trump-voter types think all of America will be experiencing a total eclipse?

Just had to explain to several customers that exact same thing.

Are you crazy?>:(
You should be encouraging this myth to reduce the crowds along the actual path!:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This article starts off by noting the eclipse is the work of the “Prince of Darkness” which made me ponder what does Ozzy Ozbourne have to do with it, then of course realised … Oh, they mean Satan…

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/christian-radio-host-eclipse-satan_us_599a5db2e4b01f6e801f5141
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

That's crazy! I remember when I was in elementary school there was a partial solar eclipse and they still let us out. They just stressed the importance of not staring at the sun.

It's a shame that all those kids will remember of this eclipse is being locked inside by their teachers.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Looks like CO people are clogging up I-25 in WY this morning: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Glendo,+WY+82213/@41.3280846,-106.0725841,7.54z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x87641fe4195fcf77:0x16b5ec3e29c55f80!8m2!3d42.5027467!4d-105.0260832!5m1!1e1
:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

DirtyChai

***Yeah, Scottsdale and Chandler school districts decided it was too much of a liability risk to let kids out fearing they would all stare at the sun without glasses.

Why the fuck are kids back at school in the middle of August?

School started August 8 for my kids. Unreal, I know.

Got some pics from the eclipse...

First one is a pinhole projection in a projector box I made last night for my girls and wife to check out at home.

Second one is the eclipse shadows through the leaves on the ground at work.

Last is someone else using a colander (strainer) to get a pretty cool effect.

I viewed the eclipse through my #13 welders glass. Got up to 94%.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Only 92% partial in Golden, Co but I got to be in the air!

Only pilot flying at this usually very busy site. Other than the animals being confused on the hike and a subtle erie dim sunlight and unusual COMPLETE lack of thermal activity during the 20min either side of maximum coverage it was uneventful.

I did yell at a bunch of people pulled off on the road while I flew over them on the way down. looking through their viewfinders on SLR cameras with obvious lack of any filter on camera or eye wear. Even stopped down to 22f that's frying your retinas!

Hi jclalor,

I'm thinking of driving from San Jose to Oregon or Idaho to view the eclipse.

And?

I just got back from driving about 20 miles south of here to watch totality. Overall, I spent about $50 on gas, food, parking, etc; well worth it.

Just as I walked back in the door & turned on the news, there was a clip of a local newswoman doing a tanden during the eclipse out at Pacific Northwest Skyding in Mulino, OR. The clip is not yet up on their website but should be after 5:30 PM west coast time:

http://www.kptv.com/

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Coming back north on the I-5 freeway, it took me over 2 hrs to go 15 miles. >:(

We spent the eclipse on a side trail about a mile off Mt Washburn in Yellowstone. 96%, but we did exactly what we wanted, were completely alone watching (the reason for the side trek). It's astounding how bright the sun is; at 96%, it was just kind of dim, but nowhere close to dark.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

It's astounding how bright the sun is; at 96%, it was just kind of dim, but nowhere close to dark.

93% here.
It was dark enough that the insects started making their evening noises, and even the crickets went into full chorus.:D

JerryBaumchen

Hi jclalor,

I'm thinking of driving from San Jose to Oregon or Idaho to view the eclipse.

And?

I just got back from driving about 20 miles south of here to watch totality. Overall, I spent about $50 on gas, food, parking, etc; well worth it.

Just as I walked back in the door & turned on the news, there was a clip of a local newswoman doing a tanden during the eclipse out at Pacific Northwest Skyding in Mulino, OR. The clip is not yet up on their website but should be after 5:30 PM west coast time:

http://www.kptv.com/

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Coming back north on the I-5 freeway, it took me over 2 hrs to go 15 miles. >:(

I wimped out.