jclalor

2017 Eclipse

So I'm thinking of driving from San Jose to Oregon or Idaho to view the eclipse. My schedule allows me to drive up the day before. I'm wondering if anyone is considering this and how they plan on doing it?

From what I read, viewing close to the coast has the risk of fog or overcast. Driving further inland, much smaller highways and predictions of bumper to bumper for hours.

Any advice?

Hi jclalor,

Any advice?

Based upon the local tv news programs, add another day & come/get to your destination a day earlier.

The OR DOT is expecting the roads to be jammed.

The city of Salem, OR is opening up the city parks for people to sleep over; no RV's.

Jerry Baumchen
~30 miles north of totality

jclalor

So I'm thinking of driving from San Jose to Oregon or Idaho to view the eclipse. My schedule allows me to drive up the day before. I'm wondering if anyone is considering this and how they plan on doing it?

From what I read, viewing close to the coast has the risk of fog or overcast. Driving further inland, much smaller highways and predictions of bumper to bumper for hours.

Any advice?

You're screwed if there is a chance for overcast, so what's the point? Go more inland.

Bumper to bumper for hours can actually be fun. You can just pull off to the side of the road and get the party started. If you find enough cool people, you can go up and down the lanes passing out beers like we do here up in northern Michigan. If there are any hot chicks, they'll come out to play, no doubt.

You'll usually get a couple of fat chick stragglers, so you're bound to see an eclipse one way or another. . .

My mother lives in Boise (only 8 miles from totality), so she's going to Baker City, OR to camp with her trailer at her friend's house (friend is having a house party all weekend for the event). She tells me "they are warning folks to have plenty of gasoline, cash, food and water because tons of people are flocking to the area. Not another port-a-potty to be rented in the entire state. Lots of worry about fires, road rage, etc."

Also warning of empty ATMs.

She also said libraries were giving out free welder helmets yesterday -- distributed 1,000 in just a few minutes. The host of the house party ordered 20 of them a few months ago. So if you're going up from San Jose, you may be far enough out that you could still pick up a few before you start your drive. B|

Incidentally, the website someone else posted in another thread says clouds are better for watching. Fog would still let you see the sun high in the sky, as well as the corona at total eclipse (again, according to the NASA source quoted in the article). Just something to consider. Have fun!

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I've seen an eclipse when the skies were blue. It was awesome; I'm not sure how clouds could improve it. I'll be in Grand Tetons with my campsite already reserved, purely by luck. We picked some days to reserve, and some to bop around. Fortunately, the eclipse days were reserved.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well done you!!

Yeah, I don't understand why NASA would say clouds are good, unless you aren't in the totality zone. I'll be in an 82% eclipse area, so I'm sure I'd like a bit of a cloud layer to supplement whatever other filter I'm using to watch.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Three years ago I reserved a favourite coastal motel that we've been visiting for many years. It also happens to be the very first lodging under the shadow, 0.01 seconds after first landfall at Yaquina Head. We have all 12 rooms for 30 of our friends and family for the whole weekend.

I've been planning this for 38 years -- since the last one to come through Oregon when I was a young teenager and I hitchhiked to the Goldendale Observatory.

The chance of clear skies is favourable though far from certain. But time spent on the Oregon Coast is better than time spent anywhere else. Maybe it'll be the best show ever and maybe we'll just play on the beach with our friends for a couple of days before the clouds go dark for 2 minutes. Either way we're going to have a hell of a party!

First Class Citizen Twice Over

JerryBaumchen

Hi folks,

2017 Eclipse

This evening's tv news is saying a 'good possibility' of rain for the entirety of western Oregon on Eclipse Day.

:S

Jerry Baumchen

They are lying, to try to keep the Californians away. Looks like mostly sunny, according to the way out prediction I see.

I'm having friends over for an Eclipse Party for boating, grilling, and shenanigans - my lake house sits dead center of the eclipse starting at 2:41 for 2 minutes 37 seconds
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I'm in Baker City now, the smoke from all the fires in the region is thick.
Hopefully it will clear up in the coming week. The forests are shut down, so no camping in the sticks. We are all ready seeing people show up here. It's going to be epic!

Blue sky's

Jerry

Dave Barry answers your celestial questions:
http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article167175947.html

Q. How can I tell if I am in the path of the eclipse?

A. Look outside. If you see strangers parked on your lawn, you are in the path.

:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Is it just me that isn't ridiculously hyped about the eclipse? Yeah, It's kinda cool I guess, but that's about it, for me.

A million astounding things happen in nature every day - all you need to do is look around to see them.

I bought a macro lens for my camera a few years ago. If you think stellar events are jaw dropping, you should try looking at the world up close. :)

yoink

Is it just me that isn't ridiculously hyped about the eclipse? Yeah, It's kinda cool I guess, but that's about it, for me.

In some respects, yes. In others, no.

I feel sad for the little towns who are trying to make hay out of it and jacking up their prices just to do virtually anything along the path. Of course, that is the most 'Murican thing ever, so there is that. It's just sad they can't enjoy it, but instead feel like they have to milk it.

On the other hand, a TOTAL eclipse is far more rare a viewing opportunity than you're giving credit to. For the vast majority of people on the planet it would be a once in a lifetime thing if they were extraordinarily lucky. MOST people will never see a total eclipse with their own eyes.

On the other hand (yes, I sometimes have three hands), I can go out and buy a macro lens today and see your "million astounding things happen in nature every day," because, well, they do in fact happen every day.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I live in Winnipeg. One day in '79 I got up out of bed earlier than I wanted to because of all the hype about a total eclipse. About 10 AM or so IIRC. I walked out my front door and stood in the street with all my neighbours and the whole city I guess. The scene was pretty cool. I don't really remember what the eclipse looked like, but I do remember the party atmosphere.

I also would not bother to travel or spend money to see another one.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Probably the best vacation I ever took included an eclipse. My father gave me a cruise for Christmas, and I chose the first sailing cruise that I found on the internet (both more and less challenging twenty years ago). Turns out it was an eclipse cruise; I got to spend the time with 50 or so people who had planned this for years. It was way more interesting than a cruise normally would be, because these were mostly passionate people. They shared all their toys and knowledge (stand binoculars, telescopes, etc).

And along the way I got to see lots of small islands (the ship called at all the tiniest of the windward islands), Montserrat's erupting volcano, the most perfect beach ever, whales, I walked the plank and jumped off the side of the ship, and, yes, I saw an eclipse.

Everything in context. I wouldn't travel to see an eclipse, but I'd choose a tripnand/or a group based on passion, even one i don't share, any time.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

JerryBaumchen

Hi folks,

2017 Eclipse

This evening's tv news is saying a 'good possibility' of rain for the entirety of western Oregon on Eclipse Day.

:S

Jerry Baumchen

I will be in FAR Eastern Oregon..Totality is going to ROCK.. Motorhome is already down there since last weekend...