Abedy

Coming out to dropzone.com as world's 1st transgender TI ;-)

Thanks to you and the others for the nice replies :)
As wished, I have added a new avatar picture and hope the smile is better to make out. B|

If the weather doesn't get bad I will go for a jump in the afternoon (still not allowed to jump tandem at my home DZ) sporting the look attached. (Don't look too closely, my face still bears witness to 5 hours of autobahn and 4 hours of electrolysis yesterday...)

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Short follow-up:
Made my 1900th jump on Saturday (26 July) and made 11 tandem jumps over the weekend. Strength is OK, but I now have my gear packed = no sore muscles B|
I learned my transition hasn't have any impacts on my abilities as a TI - neither for the good aspects nor for the not-so-good-ones - which means I still need to improve my exits. I have developed the habit to toss the drogue within a second and now am working on it (to only throw it when we are really belly-to-earth)
I feel very comfortable at my new DZ (http://www.skydive-leipzig.de) - I am invited to come over for 6 or more weekends in 2014 and will be official staff member in 2015. Subsequently, I will cancel my membership in the club I am a member of currently and join that Leipzig folks B| (Go figure! :P)

So much for it. See photo of me at DZ Leipzig. The 2nd one is how I dress as a TI - a bandana does it, I think. My boobs are rather petite but are sufficient to trigger men's attention. No complaints, questions (That a girl or a boy?), remarks whatsoever, even in this male-fail-outfit.
The third one is me at Prom Night of my college. First time I could wear what I really liked to ;-)

Keep in touch, and be careful out there :)
Hugs, Hannah

It's so easy to hear the joy and happiness in your written "voice," and it's not just all the emoticons you're using. So glad to hear that you're able to be true to yourself in all aspects of your life, including tandems!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

JohnMitchell

Could have used you over here. There's always some guy that doesn't want to be strapped to a dude, and it seems most of our female TM's have moved on or are have quit tandems. :)

It is pretty tough a job to do, but as mentioned, if I have my gear packed, I can do it all day long. I even managed 92 kg (200 lbs) at zero wind.

Hugs, Hannah

NWFlyer

It's so easy to hear the joy and happiness in your written "voice," and it's not just all the emoticons you're using. So glad to hear that you're able to be true to yourself in all aspects of your life, including tandems!

Thanks so much. You'd be pretty surprised about my voice. I have never been Sir-ed on the phone since November 2013, but it was hard training that had cost me a lot of tears...
And yes, I am so glad and happy I can be my true self. This tandem thing was the only blow I was dealt but now I am fine here as well, heh heh B|

Hugs, Hannah

Hannah, long time no post - hope things are still going well for you!

I've been watching an interesting show recently that may have some parallels to your experience - it's called Transparent and it's on Amazon Prime video. It follows all the members of a fairly dysfunctional (but funny and loving) family - the older (divorced) parents, and the three adult kids, each going through their own personal dramas. Much of the story revolves around the patriarch (Mort/Maura) who is, at age 70, finally living openly transgender (though we see through flashbacks that she has flirted with it throughout her adult life). The show deals with the responses of Maura's children, and how they come around to acceptance of their father's changes (or struggle with acceptance) and how Maura navigates her new life. Although I can't comment from personal experience how well it represents the experience of a trans person, it does seem to be getting good reviews for addressing it in an open, sensitive, and funny manner.

For me, though, the coolest thing is that a show like this exists, and is getting largely positive media attention. Amazon.com is just really starting to branch out into developing their own shows, and several of this year's new shows are really good and may put Amazon up against Netflix in terms of quality shows that are only available on streaming networks.

Anyway, not sure if you can get the show where you are, but it seems like something you might really enjoy/relate well to.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3502262/
http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-HD/dp/B00I3MNF6S
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_(TV_series)
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/transparent
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Captain obvious agrees but how often do DZs do psych evaluations on tandem masters? Most people dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts hide it well and live functional lives. Even their closest friends and family members don't know how much pain their loved one is on until the unthinkable happens.

The real irony is that when Hannah was living as a man and feeling suicidal the same DZs who now feel she is too unstable to work as a TI were all too happy to employ "him".

Did I get that right, Hannah?

Just a last follow-up from me here. (I'll write an article for Blue Skies Magazine, so you'll have something to read in ink in the winter ;) )

I made my 500th tandem jump on Sunday eight days ago but was too busy to immediately boast here ;)

I have made 60+ tandem jumps this year so far with probably 5 or even 10 more in the pipeline as my new DZ - Skydive Leipzig - is going to end jump season not before 16 November.
NONE of my passengers has asked any questions regarding my gender, none of their friends and family, nobody. Not me, not any other staff.
Jumpers have unconditionally embraced me and all of them call me Hannah and I am Hannah to them. Unconditionally. Nobody ever misgendered me.

What a great dropzone! (http://www.skydive-leipzig.de)

I became a granny one week ago. How cool is that and who can tell they became a dad at 21 and a granny at 53 ;)

I filed for change of first names and gender marker and it was granted on 30 September (the studio pic was taken on that day) Paperwork will take some time, though but I shall have my new passport and other docs before New Year's eve.

Ain't life grand?

Hugs and kisses (to girls only, sorry guys, I'm still lesbian ;):D:) ), Hannah

Thanks, my dear. I am fine. I was just so busy, sorry...

I read about "Transparent" on Facebook and as far as I see it it is mainly welcomed by transgender persons. Most of all, as it deals with the ones who are not young, pretty, blend in so easily. Which is so many of trans folks. Jennifer Finney Boylan was a consultant which obviously helped a lot.
Thanks for your links!

Unfortunately, I don't have an internet connection fast enough and I doubt it's available to non-US viewers. I hope it will be available on DVD.

As an exchange I may suggest the book "I am Jazz" which explains what it means to be transgender in a way that kids can understand. It's available via Amazon, though I got it through my local bookstore B|

Hugs, Hannah

FB1609

nothing to do with your choices.

Sigh. Being transgender is NOT NOT NOT a choice. I was born this way.

I thought about ending it all when I pretended to be a man. When I came out and admitted to myself, my life completely changed. I am so happy. Life is right and real now.

I got a lot of positive feedback - I am the one for passengers that are anxious "Hannah calms 'em"

But yeah, you may hold my past against me. Lucky me to not have you as my DZO.

Never mind.

tigra

Did I get that right, Hannah?

I could not have written it any better. Thanks so much.

And life has proven it right. Looking forward to what future holds for me.

Hugs, Hannah

Abedy

Just a last follow-up from me here.

I made my 500th tandem jump on Sunday eight days ago but was too busy to immediately boast here ;)

I became a granny one week ago. How cool is that and who can tell they became a dad at 21 and a granny at 53 ;)

I filed for change of first names and gender marker and it was granted on 30 September (the studio pic was taken on that day) Paperwork will take some time, though but I shall have my new passport and other docs before New Year's eve.

Ain't life grand?

Hugs and kisses (to girls only, sorry guys, I'm still lesbian ;):D:) ), Hannah

congratulations
congratulations
congratulations
and I still want my kiss, I love lesbians :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

and I still want my kiss, I love lesbians :D

Men are soooo predictable :P
You have a small chance, as some transwomen reported their sexual preference changed after 5+ years of hormone replacement therapy.