ryoder

Equifax leaks personal data of 143 million Americans

Equifax said Thursday that it was alerting those who were affected by mail. It also set up a website, equifaxsecurity2017.com,

Wasn't it a website vulnerability that started all this, ya mopes. Now you want us to logon to another website you developed to see if we were affected?!??!??! :S:S:S
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Equifax said Thursday that it was alerting those who were affected by mail. It also set up a website, equifaxsecurity2017.com,

Wasn't it a website vulnerability that started all this, ya mopes. Now you want us to logon to another website you developed to see if we were affected?!??!??! :S:S:S

Exactly.

I really don't understand the ridiculous nature of their web site, their security oversight, all of it. It's bullshit.

I HATE large companies and their cavalier attitude toward these massive databases. Yet, I guarantee there will be no governmental action to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Fuck these guys.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

pterodactyl1986

I would not consider it a "leak" from my understanding it was a hack.

None the less I can't believe that they didn't have higher security measures in place. An IT friend of mine told me it wasn't even encrypted, which if true is mind baffling

Having worked for big corporations and seen how often the clueless (mis)management overrules the engineers who actually understand the technology, I have no doubt the security was slipshod and mgt had probably been already warned by their own tech staff.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The other thing about signing up on their web site to notify you if you are affected . . . in signing up you have to agree to arbitration to settle any matters which may be a result of this.

FUCK THESE GUYS.

Why isn't there a "death penalty" for corporations?
quade -

They're claiming the arbitration clause doesn't apply now, but no doubt that will be actually be determined in the distant future.

My first thought was the next story should be about the people at the top committing hara-kiri.

Au-contraire:
"Three Equifax Inc. senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8 million in the days after the company discovered a security breach...

The trio had not yet been informed of the incident, the company said late Thursday."
Yeah, right.

Bloomberg fake news, Sad
Alcohol never really solved any problems. But then again, neither did milk.

quade

The other thing about signing up on their web site to notify you if you are affected . . . in signing up you have to agree to arbitration to settle any matters which may be a result of this.

It seems they have changed the terms: http://thehill.com/policy/technology/349826-users-checking-to-see-if-they-were-affected-by-the-equifax-hack-might-be
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***The other thing about signing up on their web site to notify you if you are affected . . . in signing up you have to agree to arbitration to settle any matters which may be a result of this.

It seems they have changed the terms: http://thehill.com/policy/technology/349826-users-checking-to-see-if-they-were-affected-by-the-equifax-hack-might-be

Yep. Companies can always be counted on to "do the right thing" after being contacted by lawyers and Congressmen telling them what they're doing is complete and utter bullshit not allowed under the law.
quade -

Latest updates:

1. The "PIN" they issue when you freeze your account is just a timestamp of the format: MMDDYYhhmm

2. The results given when you check to see your your account was affected by the breach are just random: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/equifax-breach-response-turns-dumpster-fire/

The "free" for life TrustedID product is still very broken and gives errors to most users.
I'm quite curious why they are still allowed to hold such valuable and private information.
The should be shut down until they can prove it's secure again.