Iago

Irma is coming....

Nobody in media talking too much about Jose tailing behind Irma but a few days ago I saw video of a xtra long range model Not too accurate showing Jose hittin' Fla 7 days after Irma.

Don't have to worry about Jose because Trump won't let him in the USA! :D

normiss

Good to hear it went well for you!

We're a bit north of Orlando and the center line is currently on track for our house.
Yay!

For the first time, I'm actually pretty concerned.
I already bought the beer for this first.

So you guys are staying? Hope the trailer is tied down! Good luck.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm thinking all those DZ's in Florida and others in the damage path should pack their operations up, fly to northern DZ's and set up Boogies for the next week or so! It could be a win for everyone! At least they can keep their planes flying and make a lot of happy jumpers! B|

Iago

***I'm thinking all those DZ's in Florida and others in the damage path should pack their operations up, fly to northern DZ's and set up Boogies for the next week or so! It could be a win for everyone! At least they can keep their planes flying and make a lot of happy jumpers! B|

Heh heh. That happened in '06. The otter from Spaceland showed up at The Farm and it just happened to be a boogie weekend. Thank for holding down the fort guys, we had to go to a boogie!

Except for Lake Wales. They got caught by surprise when tiny category four Charley blew in. The US CRW team had been jumping all day and when the storm rolled in, they took cover in the back of the hangar office and rode out pretty much a direct or near direct hit. Airport and hangar was trashed and the Otter spun 180 degrees inside.

Then the team had tshirts made saying "Charley blew the US CRW Team" :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's just sad how some of these reporters are so desperate to sensationalize the destruction in Florida.

"OMG, a vinyl sign just ripped loose and is flapping vigorously right behind me!"

"OMG, a window just flew open on a skyscraper 5 stories up! This is what they warned us about!

"OMG, I have no idea how my baseball cap is still affixed to my head in the midst of the world's first hurricane!"

DirtyChai

It's just sad how some of these reporters are so desperate to sensationalize the destruction in Florida.

"OMG, a vinyl sign just ripped loose and is flapping vigorously right behind me!"

"OMG, a window just flew open on a skyscraper 5 stories up! This is what they warned us about!

"OMG, I have no idea how my baseball cap is still affixed to my head in the midst of the world's first hurricane!"

Sensationalizing is part of the job description.

Amidst calamitous Harvey flooding, Pence speaks to a racist, a hurricane conspiracy theorist, and other right-wing radio hosts

n the ongoing efforts to mitigate the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, Vice President Mike Pence appeared on several right-wing radio programs in Texas to give updates on the recovery and rescue efforts. According to the transcripts posted on the White House website, the vice president appeared to limit his radio outreach mostly to conservative shows, including Rush Limbaugh and Michael Berry, who is notorious for mocking black victims of gun violence in Chicago and other racist programming.

Limbaugh has a history of using hurricanes to attack Democrats and further his fringe conspiracy theories. During Hurricane Matthew in October 2016, Limbaugh stated that “it's in the interest of the left to have destructive hurricanes because then they can blame it on climate change” and that the National Hurricane Center is “playing games” to convince people of climate change. Limbaugh also told his listeners that “there is politics in hurricanes” because “there are votes.”

During Tropical Storm Isaac, Limbaugh questioned the National Hurricane Center’s forecasting, pointing out “the degree of coincidence” that the storm was headed for Tampa, the location of the National Republican Convention. Limbaugh implied, according to The Atlantic, that “the weather service was collaborating with the liberal media to invent narratives that are unpleasant for the GOP.”

In 2016, Limbaugh attacked Hurricane Katrina victims as “liberals” on welfare who lacked “self-reliance.” He also compared the Katrina disaster to “a reality show.” In 2008 following significant flooding in the Midwest, Limbaugh minimized the damage caused by Hurricane Katrina relative to the floods and accused Katrina victims of “waving guns at helicopters,” “shooting cops,” and “raping people on the street.”
https://www.mediamatters.org/people/rush-limbaugh

DirtyChai

This just in:

News alert!

"At one point IRMA had winds of 180 MPH! We'll keep you posted!"

I agree that the media sensationalizes. They do it all the time because they need to sell soap and hold viewers. But now you are stooping to sensationalizing them. What is your reason?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

BillyVance

What I want to know is... do they have a son named Jose? :|:)

No. They're all here in CaliMexico. I'll name the next earthquake after them. Hopefully they get swallowed but then who's gonna mow my lawn. Be careful Fl. peeps. Coming back to see if we still have a house
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

Be careful Fl. peeps. Coming back to see if we still have a house

Don't get your hopes up. The sheer size and breadth of this behemoth has imperiled Florida in it's entirety. Onlookers watch in horror as reporters brave this ferocious storm, documenting it's devastation and bringing us dismal images of flailing palm trees and flapping shingles. This is one for the history books! It's like nothing we've ever seen before! This is what AGW looks like folks, open your eyes!

Irma has weakend to a category 2 in Fort Myers, so it looks like we're not going to see a category 3 hurricane in Georgia as predicted. Big surprise.

But now we're waiting for the storm surge to come in on the gulf coast. The biggest surges will affect southern Florida and there's legitimate reason for concern. I was watching CNN when a reporter went down into the street when he saw a man walking his 3-legged dog as the eye passed over Naples. The meteorologist back in the studio told them to get out of there, that there's a surge coming, that they're gonna be up to their waist in water. No doubt it is coming there, he said.

A few minutes later he was backpedaling talking about the direction of the eye and saying that now the surge might just go into the everglades, which is a good thing - we'll see.

If that's the case, the lesson learned here is to stop destroying our coastal wetlands, and start restoring those that have already been damaged.

See, simple, cheap, practical solutions. No need for Alarm!

A snorkel kit can put the intake up to the roof line. As long as the motor gets air, it may keep running. Soaking the ignition and having it short out can be an issue. Ignition isn't a problem for diesels, but soaking the ECMs can be a problem.

Still stupid. Really stupid.

You can't see anything in the water, so running into something (pole, hydrant, debris, whatever) is a real possibility.
That deep, any sort of current will sweep the truck away.

An average of 75 people per year drown from driving through floodwaters.

Turn around, don't drown
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

ryoder

I can't stand vertical videos. You lose more than 60% of the screen that way. Is it so hard to turn the camera sideways and record in widescreen/landscape mode?

Vertical Video Syndrome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

Say no to vertical videos. . .

wolfriverjoe

A snorkel kit can put the intake up to the roof line. As long as the motor gets air, it may keep running. Soaking the ignition and having it short out can be an issue. Ignition isn't a problem for diesels, but soaking the ECMs can be a problem.

Still stupid. Really stupid.

You can't see anything in the water, so running into something (pole, hydrant, debris, whatever) is a real possibility.
That deep, any sort of current will sweep the truck away.

An average of 75 people per year drown from driving through floodwaters.

Turn around, don't drown

Give any wiring in that there truck ( even a multi-fuel Duece) a couple years... and it will probably look like the wires in my 1980 Fiat 124 Spyder.... 3 years old and most of the wiring INSIDE the plastic insulation was green or green powder and no never flooded... just the damn humidity and living at Jax Beach in FL..... bought a whole new wiring harness solved the shorts and odd electrical stupidity occurring daily and got tired of the Fix It Again Tony dealership.