JohnMitchell

Put up a damn picture of something fun you've been doing

Super nerdy hobby, I know, but it's interesting. I play an amateur mineralogist in radioactive minerals and fluorescent minerals. Here is an Ultraviolet 60w UV-B laboratory transilluminator I modified to 500w UV-A,B and C as a display lamp that I just finished upgrading. I have to wear full skin covering protective clothing including gloves and face mask with three layers of UV protective eye wear. (close fitting clear glasses, laboratory UV goggles with circulation fan and a UV face shield. Any exposed skin is deeply sunburned in about 10min and looking at it with no eye protection causes severe Photokeratitis in about 1 min. It was NOT fun learning that the hard way.

Rick

"Photokeratitis" is that what happens if you weld without a hood??

Exactly. Welding is usually from 200-1400nm, giving several unhealthy wavelengths to view with a naked eye. "Snow blindness" being the most common cause, but any high-energy or otherwise 'unfriendly' wavelengths or intensity can cause it.

Hi Rick,

You do not have to be welding to get it. I got it once because the glasses that they gave me in a large steel fab shop did not have side shields; ergo, the flash could get to my eyes from the side. Not fun stuff.

During WWII my mother was a welder in the shipyards, she also got it.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Rick,

You do not have to be welding to get it. I got it once because the glasses that they gave me in a large steel fab shop did not have side shields; ergo, the flash could get to my eyes from the side. Not fun stuff.

Jerry Baumchen

years ago when I first was learning to weld I did not protect my eyes very well. Woke up at 2 in the morning felling like I had sand in my eyes. No fun
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I've had it here at the machine shop. Put a steel plate on the waterjet machine, then have to weld a bar to it to "lock" it in place so it doesn't move while the machine is running. I use a welding shield but sometimes I have to get it out of the way so I can see where I'm putting the weld stick at, and accidentally sparks it before getting the shield back in place.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

JerryBaumchen

I got it once because the glasses that they gave me in a large steel fab shop did not have side shields; ergo, the flash could get to my eyes from the side. Not fun stuff.

This is why I use 3 separate clear "OP3" acrylic shields as well as a thin black balaclava for my head. The cheap thin working glasses, a full-enclosure lab goggle, and large face shield. A standard gold-coated 'welder' shield does not work because In mineralogy you need to be able to see the entire visible spectrum. (400-800nm), only clear allows this, but most acrylics, plastics, and glass block high energy light (UV <400nm) by around 90-99%. With three layers of various clear UV blocking layers I have measured a 5hr exposure to high intensity UV to be around 99.99% blockage of UV.

PS- any sunglasses that say 100% UV protection are probably in truth about 99.99%, but any tinting removes accurate color representation.

Rick

***Hi Rick,

Jerry Baumchen

years ago when I first was learning to weld I did not protect my eyes very well. Woke up at 2 in the morning felling like I had sand in my eyes. No fun

I have had photokeratitis 4 times total. twice from winter mountain climbing and twice from accidental expose while working on minerals.

Worst one I had to lay in bed for 18hrs with cold packs over my eyes. Even the light leaking under a door in a black room is unbelievably uncomfortable. Feels like sand for sure. And rubbing makes it worse. Only thing that helps is a anti-inflammatory or steroidal eyedropper. I have a running script for Acuveil, an awesome eyedropper/anti-inflamatory. Works wonders for discomfort, and I use it if I even get the hint of a tickle in my vision.

I build custom, hand made guitars as a side thing. Since I dont need to do it to earn my living I have quite a lot of fun doing it.

This is my current build I'm in the process of shooting a nitrocellulose finish on it...
__

My mighty steed

ChrisL

I build custom, hand made guitars as a side thing. Since I dont need to do it to earn my living I have quite a lot of fun doing it.

This is my current build I'm in the process of shooting a nitrocellulose finish on it...

Wow... that's a beauty! So much detail and precision work there. I'm impressed.

My dad would be proud. He collects guitars and is a life-long musician and once played with his hero and reason for moving to Colorado; John Denver. One of two times I have seen my dad cry was when JD nosed the VariEZ into the pacific. :(

He has 2 of JDs old guitars and is playing for the Aspen 20th anniversary this summer.

Calvin19

***I build custom, hand made guitars as a side thing. Since I dont need to do it to earn my living I have quite a lot of fun doing it.

My dad would be proud. He collects guitars and is a life-long musician and once played with his hero and reason for moving to Colorado; John Denver. One of two times I have seen my dad cry was when JD nosed the VariEZ into the pacific. :(

He has 2 of JDs old guitars and is playing for the Aspen 20th anniversary this summer.

Thanks!

Thats very cool about your dad. I dont currently build acoustic guitars, but I plan to add that capability to my shop in the next year. Its really a matter of some tools and jigs that are particular to acoustic guitars that I dont currently have.

Good luck to your Dad at gig :)
__

My mighty steed

ChrisL

******I build custom, hand made guitars as a side thing. Since I dont need to do it to earn my living I have quite a lot of fun doing it.

Thanks!

Thats very cool about your dad. I dont currently build acoustic guitars, but I plan to add that capability to my shop in the next year. Its really a matter of some tools and jigs that are particular to acoustic guitars that I dont currently have.

Good luck to your Dad at gig :)

I've never built an instrument, but I've built wood aircraft and for a custom acoustic you've got your work cut out for ya:P

JohnMitchell

Sport amphip? Now that could be fun. B|

Yep a little LSA Amphibian. I basically wanted a jet ski that I didn't have to trailer!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

TheBlob

***New Toy, pick it up next week.
Still have the Pitts... Can't sell that.

Does that seat two? Can it be jumped? (I can't believe nobody asked already...)

Two seat. Could it be jumped? Yes, but not legally.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron

******New Toy, pick it up next week.
Still have the Pitts... Can't sell that.

Does that seat two? Can it be jumped? (I can't believe nobody asked already...)

Two seat. Could it be jumped? Yes, but not legally.

Why is that? Have to request a waiver first? Or make an alteration?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Why is that? Have to request a waiver first? Or make an alteration?

TLDR: FAA says no, not worth the trouble to get them to say yes.

Experimental aircraft have a set of operational limitations that they have to abide by and every experimental aircraft OL letter I have seen bars jumping and banner towing.

I have had three, now four experimental aircraft and they all banned "Parachute operations."

So while the plane would actually be pretty easy to exit, the FAA would frown on it.... And I have a commercial certificate and...Yeah, not gonna happen illegally. To make it legal, I'd have to contact the FSDO (now just FSO) and petition for a new set of operational limitations and answer bunch of stupid questions from people that don't understand skydiving at all and in the end most likely still be told no because, "I wanna" is not going to be seen as a good enough reason.

Ron

***Why is that? Have to request a waiver first? Or make an alteration?

Experimental aircraft have a set of operational limitations that they have to abide by and every experimental aircraft OL letter I have seen bars jumping and banner towing.

I have had three, now four experimental aircraft and they all banned "Parachute operations."

So while the plane would actually be pretty easy to exit, the FAA would frown on it.... And I have a commercial certificate and...Yeah, not gonna happen illegally. To make it legal, I'd have to contact the FSDO (now just FSO) and petition for a new set of operational limitations and answer bunch of stupid questions from people that don't understand skydiving at all and in the end most likely still be told no because, "I wanna" is not going to be seen as a good enough reason.

So the Pitts plane owner who regularly flew jumpers at the WFFC had a lot of hoops to jump through to get approval? Glad I got one jump out of his plane.

BillyVance

So the Pitts plane owner who regularly flew jumpers at the WFFC had a lot of hoops to jump through to get approval? Glad I got one jump out of his plane.

Yes, but a different process. The Pitts at the WFFC and Mullins has a Pitts that he lets people jump are both certified aerobatic category aircraft, not certified under "experimental".

So the process is different. For Experimental you need to have skydiving listed in the operational limitations letter, and that is not going to be easy to do.

For other certified (standard, aerobatic, transport, normal), you can get an STC that is also not easy to do, but people have done them and you can buy their STC. For example, to fly with the door removed on a Cessna 182 you have to buy the STC that allows you to configure the plane for jumping... The USPA can sell it to you. http://www.uspa.org/FAA-USPA/Aircraft-Modifications

Cabanas jumped through all the hoops the get an STC to allow people to jump his Pitts. So if you had a certified 2 seat Pitts you could buy the STC and it would be legal. If you had an experimental certified Pitts, you could buy the STC, but you could not legally fly jumpers unless you had the operational limitations letter changed.... And the FSO is not going to do it easily.

Getting the STC for the first time is going to be a pain. Tech drawings, stress analysis... Etc. Might cost you thousands of dollars and hundreds or hours of work. But once it is done, you can just buy the STC, do the mods, and it would be legal.

Mullins at WTS has a Pitts S2A with the STC to allow jumpers. So you can still jump a Pitts

ChrisL

Nice!

I don't have the gear for a nitro finish on mine so tend to stick to a finishing oil. One day I'll get some practice with a spray gun.

I've just bought a bunch of modelling foam that I thought might be a great way to test out some new custom shapes I'm thinking of. Next one is going to be a riff on a Tinozza acoustic bass I think. Oh, and I still need to finish the ukulele I promised my wife 2 years ago! :D

Ron

***Why is that? Have to request a waiver first? Or make an alteration?

Not encouraging the practice, but on several occasions (more than 10 years ago:)) we used an E-LSA to do 'demos'. NOTAMs were filed with aircraft registration, and radio comms were maintained. Nothing came of it. edit-changing LSA to E-LSA