JohnMitchell

Put up a damn picture of something fun you've been doing

Calvin19

Not encouraging the practice, but on several occasions (more than 10 years ago:)) we used an LSA to do 'demos'. NOTAMs were filed with aircraft registration, and radio comms were maintained. Nothing came of it.

LSA does not automatically equal experimental. LSA just means light sport (1320 pounds or less (1430 for amphibious), slow stall speed, max cruise speed).

But you can have an LSA certified under several different ways S-LSA A factory built, E-LSA an experimental built by someone else, or just under standard experimental. Each has benefits and drawbacks... For example you can legally rent out an S-LSA, but not an E-LSA or Experimental (unless you have an LOA from the FAA allowing it).

I don't know a bunch about E-LSA, but Experimental has the Operations letter. So it might actually be legal to jump an S-LSA with no issue.

Mine is experimental and the OL letter clearly says it can't be jumped. As for your experience... It might have been an S-LSA and that would make it legal. They might have made sure the OL letter didn't ban jumping. Or they might have just done it illegally. I have a commercial license, so I will not be doing anything illegally.... I know a wet blanket.

Besides, if anyone was going to jump my plane... It would be ME and who would be flying my plane?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron

Not encouraging the practice, but on several occasions (more than 10 years ago:)) we used an LSA to do 'demos'. NOTAMs were filed with aircraft registration, and radio comms were maintained. Nothing came of it.

LSA does not automatically equal experimental. LSA just means light sport (1320 pounds or less (1430 for amphibious), slow stall speed, max cruise speed).

But you can have an LSA certified under several different ways S-LSA A factory built, E-LSA an experimental built by someone else, or just under standard experimental. Each has benefits and drawbacks... For example you can legally rent out an S-LSA, but not an E-LSA or Experimental (unless you have an LOA from the FAA allowing it).

I don't know a bunch about E-LSA, but Experimental has the Operations letter. So it might actually be legal to jump an S-LSA with no issue.

Mine is experimental and the OL letter clearly says it can't be jumped. As for your experience... It might have been an S-LSA and that would make it legal. They might have made sure the OL letter didn't ban jumping. Or they might have just done it illegally. I have a commercial license, so I will not be doing anything illegally.... I know a wet blanket.

Besides, if anyone was going to jump my plane... It would be ME and who would be flying my plane?

Of course, my bad. Aircraft I mentioned was an E-LSA.

And i'll fly your plane if you want to jump out of it! I only have a few water landings in float planes, but I'm confident I can pull it off after a few landings with you:P:)

As a pilot and a skydiver I always squirm a bit when talking to non-pilot skydivers about airplanes. Literally their ONLY thought process when discussing an airplane goes irreversibly to "how can I jump out of it". Generally, flying any aircraft I get more satisfaction from sitting up front and flying the thing compared to riding in the back and falling out. Edit-fixing magnet letter refrigerator spelling[url]

Friend's father's rock shop in La Veta, Colorado.

He snagged a few dozen 70 million year old fossil bone and soft tissue fragments from a dig in Utah.

Significant radioactive output (for surface rock) @ ~70,000 CPM, ~3.7mSv/hr.

Also fluorescent, showing uranyl inclusions and an unidentified deep-fluorecent red. (deep meaning input of 256nm, output ~700nm)

Calvin19

What I do instead of sleep.

Calcite, Quartz, Caliche, Manganese, Fluorite. Self collected, Socorro, NM. Abandoned mine. Fluoresced using UVA/B/C

Nice! My dad's best friend's father was a world renowned gemologist and collector. Every Thanksgiving we'd go up to visit my grandmother, and I would always cross the street and visit the Wilsons, and chat with the father. He had an extensive collection from all over the world right there behind his garage. He would give me a rock every year or two, nothing special though. When he died, he willed the collection to the Smithsonian Museum where selected gems are still on display.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Dove the U-352 German submarine off the coast of NC this past weekend. Then went to the Aeolus wreck and swam inside the ship along with some Sand Tiger Sharks that have taken residence.

David
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Video of the new toy in action..... In other news, I had to dead stick the Pitts because of an engine out and am now looking for a shop for an overhaul.

https://youtu.be/jEMe1Dk8klg
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just finished building and finishing this guitar. This guitar is a tribute to my son Chris.

Chris died February 17th of this year at the age of 24 from an accidental overdose of fentanyl.

The inlays on the back are modeled on tattoo's that Chris had on his chest and shoulder. Both visible in the photo of Chris.

Note: the brand name on the headstock (Addict) is my own brand, and not a specific reference to my son or the manner of his passing. It relates to my own ancient history.

The model is an original design I call "24 Magnum". For those interested in guitars, here are the specs:

Neck-through-body construction
3-piece laminate neck (all mahogany)
carbon fiber neck reinforcement
25.5" scale length
24 stainless steel frets
12" fretboard radius
Genuine South American mahogany ( Swietenia macrophylla ) body and neck
Bookmatched, flamed maple top
Ebony headstock overlay
Natural “faux” binding
Macassar Ebony Fretboard
Original Floyd Rose Tremolo
White mother-of-pearl phoenix 12th fret and Aries headstock inlays
Planet Waves 3×3 locking tuning machines
Seymour Duncan pickups – Distortion (TB-6) bridge, and Pearly Gates neck (SH-PG1n)
5-way Oak Grigsby super switch (n, n-split, n/br, br-split, br)
CTS pots, orange drop caps
"tattoo" inlays (Phoenix and Aries) on back are white mother-of-pearl and abalone shell
Nitrocellulose Lacquer
__

My mighty steed