JohnMitchell

Put up a damn picture of something fun you've been doing

BillyVance

******Noticed something hopping around on the ground at work yesterday. Thought it was just a bug at first... then I took a closer look...

That is one tiny frog! I wonder what kind it is, and how big will it get?

I'm guessing it was just a tadpole a couple days before.... but hell, I've SEEN tadpoles BIGGER than this little thing. :S

You sure it wasn't this? http://digg.com/video/a-self-folding-origami-robot-that-can-walk-and-swim:D

But seriously, I used to find those tiny things when I was a kid in Northern IN.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

BillyVance

******Noticed something hopping around on the ground at work yesterday. Thought it was just a bug at first... then I took a closer look...

I'm guessing it was just a tadpole a couple days before.... but hell, I've SEEN tadpoles BIGGER than this little thing. :S

Pretty sure it's a toad, not a frog.

But I don't think it's an Oak Toad, which a search showed as the smallest in North America. They are supposed to have a stripe on them.

But it could be.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

*********Noticed something hopping around on the ground at work yesterday. Thought it was just a bug at first... then I took a closer look...

Pretty sure it's a toad, not a frog.

But I don't think it's an Oak Toad, which a search showed as the smallest in North America. They are supposed to have a stripe on them.

But it could be.

You want a toad?
I can get you a toad, believe me.
There are ways, Joe.
You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
Hell, I can get you a toad by 3 o'clock this afternoon...with stripes.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I spent last weekend shooting aerials for the movie "The Revenant". It was a pretty sweet scene. Leonardo DiCaprio swimming down a class 4 rapid. Of course, he was not there, they are green-screening him into the shots we are modeling. Some of the most high-stress flying I have ever done. I'm not able to post any of the shots we took (they are in like 12k anyway) because they own the footage, but I did take a few BTS stills. I am very excited to be part of this exploding industry. Cinema drones are crazy... the one I piloted on this shoot was our mid-size bird, F1 @ 38lbs. Shooting with a 5D and 24mm glass. I'm not a camera guy, I just fly so that is all I know about the camera. We will re-shoot soon with a 6-camera array (6 RED Dragon cameras to build a 32k shot). I found the MCACU pic on the web, not mine, but that will be what we use. This is a crazy biz. Last pic is the drone me and my boss built. I fly the craft and he controls the camera, we are a 2-operator system with a spotter and the DP on top of that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663202/

Calvin19

I spent last weekend shooting aerials for the movie "The Revenant". It was a pretty sweet scene. Leonardo DiCaprio swimming down a class 4 rapid. Of course, he was not there, they are green-screening him into the shots we are modeling. Some of the most high-stress flying I have ever done. I'm not able to post any of the shots we took (they are in like 12k anyway) because they own the footage, but I did take a few BTS stills. I am very excited to be part of this exploding industry. Cinema drones are crazy... the one I piloted on this shoot was our mid-size bird, F1 @ 38lbs. Shooting with a 5D and 24mm glass. I'm not a camera guy, I just fly so that is all I know about the camera. We will re-shoot soon with a 6-camera array (6 RED Dragon cameras to build a 32k shot). I found the MCACU pic on the web, not mine, but that will be what we use. This is a crazy biz. Last pic is the drone me and my boss built. I fly the craft and he controls the camera, we are a 2-operator system with a spotter and the DP on top of that.

Looks like DJI GPS antenna. Controller?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***I spent last weekend shooting aerials for the movie "The Revenant". It was a pretty sweet scene. Leonardo DiCaprio swimming down a class 4 rapid. Of course, he was not there, they are green-screening him into the shots we are modeling. Some of the most high-stress flying I have ever done. I'm not able to post any of the shots we took (they are in like 12k anyway) because they own the footage, but I did take a few BTS stills. I am very excited to be part of this exploding industry. Cinema drones are crazy... the one I piloted on this shoot was our mid-size bird, F1 @ 38lbs. Shooting with a 5D and 24mm glass. I'm not a camera guy, I just fly so that is all I know about the camera. We will re-shoot soon with a 6-camera array (6 RED Dragon cameras to build a 32k shot). I found the MCACU pic on the web, not mine, but that will be what we use. This is a crazy biz. Last pic is the drone me and my boss built. I fly the craft and he controls the camera, we are a 2-operator system with a spotter and the DP on top of that.

Looks like DJI GPS antenna. Controller?

good eyeB|

flight computer is an A2

After installing my full-immersion pilot kit the small bird (in pics above) will weigh just under 50lb with new downlink TX for full flight data (pitch/yaw/roll/translational speeds relative to earth and all 3 axis airspeed) The is nothing more terrifying than watching a Red Dragon go into an uncontrolled wobble while barelly descending or hovering in a thermal. Watched that happen TWICE to amateur teams, complete hull loss. With intentionally undersized rotors to avoid descending-with-power issues at low altitudes. I up the size a few inches at altitude over 10k' for efficiency. At low alt I use either (2) 10,000mah or (2) 16,000 mah with -INSANE-discharge rates. These ships are HEAVY. They sound like an airplane engine when they spool up. It's funny, once the director was sitting about 10' from where I was launching it and asked if he was ok to be there. I said 'sure, just stay behind me'. After I spooled upland launched i glanced back to see him running another 30' off set. :ph34r:

-SPACE-

Calvin19

There is nothing more terrifying than watching a Red Dragon go into an uncontrolled wobble while barely descending or hovering in a thermal.

That is about $50K for the camera?:D

Found this guy under my hedge this morning.
I think it is a Blackneck Garter snake.
I would hope he has a taste for rabbit, but I'm afraid he it too small to pose a serious danger to them.

ryoder

Found this guy under my hedge this morning.
I think it is a Blackneck Garter snake.
I would hope he has a taste for rabbit, but I'm afraid he it too small to pose a serious danger to them.

Will they go after chipmunks?

I've got an 18 hole golf course in my backyard because of those furry little fuckers. >:(:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Teaching my girl how to catch those zippy little sidewinders on the beach. ;)

ETA - and playing tag with the stingrays at Cayman Grill in Orange Beach. :)
D'oh... forgot to add the 2nd pic...

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban