Phillbo

Close call...

Regarding this video of a business jet flying over an open canopy, in a near mid air:

There was something out on the web that it was faked. I didn't try to figure out whether that's true or not.

(It was something about an artifact seen on a particular still frame, some discontinuity for the plane vs. the parachute. Though the video looks pretty realistic in general, before any closer look. So is there any confirmation of it being fake, or an actual jumper / location / date available somewhere?)

Curious. Does an object as small as a parachutist with a canopy (or without) set off a proximity alarm in a big passenger jet? Is this a recordable event in an Air Traffic Control tower?

Or do big jets even have proximity alarms? I may have been seeing too many "pull up, pull up"movies.

Or do big jets even have proximity alarms? I may have been seeing too many "pull up, pull up"movies.

Read all about it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision_avoidance_system

It's based on transponders. So no, it will not detect a parachute.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

>Or do big jets even have proximity alarms? I may have been seeing too
>many "pull up, pull up"movies.

They have TCAS, which is a system that talks to other aircraft with transponders to determine when a potential close call is imminent. TCAS I provides the warning; TCAS II also tells the pilot what to do i.e. "climb! climb!" (Big jets have TCAS II at least.)

The "pull up" actually comes from something called GPWS, the ground proximity warning system. It uses a radar altimeter (in combination with other things, like flap settings and landing gear position) to tell the pilot he is about to run into terrain.

Neither system can detect skydivers.

I saw it on tv on RTM they called fake. I tend to agree because wouldn't the wake turbulence have caused some kind of effect on the canopy ??
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

This one might be fake but back in 2001 when I was a newbie I had a real close call. I had just deployed after a two way and I looked up and over to the other skydiver who was about 200 feet away from me (bad tracking back then) and then a single engine private plane literally flew in between us. It was 100 feet from me. I was a bit freaked out at the time but now a pilots license and 1000+ jumps later it down right pisses me off. Any pilot that can't be bothered to look at a sectional and either tune in or steer clear does not deserve a license. Wish I had know to get the tail numbers...OK that's my vent. Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com