3 3
BillyVance

BillyVance's "You Can't Make This Up" News Stories Thread

ryoder

Amazing how effective some bad press is: https://jalopnik.com/dumbest-hoa-ever-gives-up-on-open-garage-door-policy-1821967915;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

oldwomanc6

That's crazy!

They've just taken away a good portion of every home's secure area in which to store things that homeowners don't want to, or can't store inside the home, and still may be stolen.

And things like this are why I dislike HOAs on principle, and why I don't live in a neighborhood that has one.

Well, if you read the details, the "garages" were originally open car ports. People installed garage doors on them and now homeless people are staying in them.

Garage doors are no longer allowed to be installed, but some are doing it without permission.

So they come up with the stupid rule. That has apparently been rescinded.

I agree with the part about the HOAs and their power abuses, though. I would very likely never buy a house with 'restrictive covenants' on the deed and a HOA.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Miami Bitcoin Conference Stops Accepting Bitcoin
:D
https://news.bitcoin.com/miami-bitcoin-conference-stops-accepting-bitcoin-due-to-fees-and-congestion/

"Bitcoin settlement times, and the fee market associated with transactions, have become a hot topic these days as on-chain fees have risen to $30-60 per transaction."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I refuse to live in a neighborhood controlled by a HOA. They're like fucking nazis. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

I refuse to live in a neighborhood controlled by a HOA. They're like fucking nazis. :|

In my sister in laws old neighborhood the head of the HOA would walk around every Sunday with a clipboard looking for infractions. When looking for a new house early last year (thank you Skymama) one thing on our list was no HOA.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

In my sister in laws old neighborhood the head of the HOA would walk around every Sunday with a clipboard looking for infractions. When looking for a new house early last year (thank you Skymama) one thing on our list was no HOA.

Right on. Fuck the dumb petty shit.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I am on an HOA board and they do serve a purpose - we have been able to get non-operational vechicles removed from homes when its clear that the owner is not going to repair it in a timely manor. We have also addressed issues such as people putting up fences when they are prohibitted and someone from putting stadium spotlights on their outdoor basketball court that were brighter than the fucking sun and turned about 15 homes into a spot that was so bright that it could be seen from the space station. Its easy for them to get out of control but as long as they are pretty up front on their purpose they can serve to protect property values of the residents.

Its actually a requirement around here that if there is a housing development with more than about 20 homes it is required to have a HOA/Civic association as part of it being authorized for developments.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

PhreeZone

I am on an HOA board and they do serve a purpose - we have been able to get non-operational vechicles removed from homes when its clear that the owner is not going to repair it in a timely manor. We have also addressed issues such as people putting up fences when they are prohibitted and someone from putting stadium spotlights on their outdoor basketball court that were brighter than the fucking sun and turned about 15 homes into a spot that was so bright that it could be seen from the space station. Its easy for them to get out of control but as long as they are pretty up front on their purpose they can serve to protect property values of the residents.

Its actually a requirement around here that if there is a housing development with more than about 20 homes it is required to have a HOA/Civic association as part of it being authorized for developments.

What is a timely manor to repair a vehicle? I have known people to work on a vehicle for 10 or 15 years before fireing it up for the first time.
What is wrong with fences? They make good neighbors. By making it hard to encroach on you.
HOA's suck
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

***I am on an HOA board and they do serve a purpose - we have been able to get non-operational vechicles removed from homes when its clear that the owner is not going to repair it in a timely manor. We have also addressed issues such as people putting up fences when they are prohibitted and someone from putting stadium spotlights on their outdoor basketball court that were brighter than the fucking sun and turned about 15 homes into a spot that was so bright that it could be seen from the space station. Its easy for them to get out of control but as long as they are pretty up front on their purpose they can serve to protect property values of the residents.

What is a timely manor to repair a vehicle? I have known people to work on a vehicle for 10 or 15 years before fireing it up for the first time.
What is wrong with fences? They make good neighbors. By making it hard to encroach on you.
HOA's suck

"Timely manner" would be actually working on it.
Not leaving it out in the driveway, where the rusty water dripping off leaves very dark stains on the pavement.
I don't live in a "HOA community", but there is a local ordinance requiring any car parked outside to be plated and registered. You can have anything you want inside a garage or enclosed building (not one of the 'tent enclosures').

And depending on the layout, a high fence could easily block scenic views, block sunlight for indoor or outdoor gardens, screw up drainage, various things.

I'm not a big fan of them, nor would I want to live in one, but for people that want a "certain appearance standard" they serve their purpose.

I know of some that prohibit boats or campers parked in the driveway or alongside the house, or even prohibit cars being habitually parked in the driveway.
Not what I would want (I have 3 cars and a one car garage), but that's what some people want.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

oldwomanc6

I prefer acres to HOAs.

If I want to piss off my porch, no one is around to see how awkward this may be. :)

You got that right. 3.2 acres here on an inlet from one of the biggest lakes in Alabama. I can't see any of the other houses directly from my front or back porch. And I can do whatever the fuck I want, but I'm no redneck. Appearance matter. But there are HOA's that go way overboard with some petty shit.

The article said they were halfway across... Why the fuck would you turn back around, when you'd get to Hawaii at about the same god damn time? Makes no fucking sense. And I thought these overseas planes could dump their toilet waste? Or am I wrong? :S

Some people are just too stupid to operate anything with a motor in it.>:(

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMXJr_jk0sQ

Article: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/01/chilling_video_fisherman_jumps.html

JohnMitchell

I don't believe they can dump their tanks in flight. Anyone know differently for sure?

Yep, SFO to Lihue is about 6 hours. I don't see the sense in going back if you're really "3 hours out". :S

I dunno, I'm pretty sure there have been reports of chunks of frozen human waste falling out of the sky in the past. These planes fly as high as 41K feet or so. Maybe they changed that practice.

BillyVance

***I don't believe they can dump their tanks in flight. Anyone know differently for sure?

Yep, SFO to Lihue is about 6 hours. I don't see the sense in going back if you're really "3 hours out". :S

I dunno, I'm pretty sure there have been reports of chunks of frozen human waste falling out of the sky in the past. These planes fly as high as 41K feet or so. Maybe they changed that practice.

There are reports of Yeti too Billy!

BillyVance

***I don't believe they can dump their tanks in flight. Anyone know differently for sure?

But weren't those always blamed on leaking seals or something? The stuff leaks, freezes up, breaks off and becomes a blue bomb. But not intentionally.

BillyVance

The article said they were halfway across... Why the fuck would you turn back around, when you'd get to Hawaii at about the same god damn time? Makes no fucking sense. And I thought these overseas planes could dump their toilet waste? Or am I wrong? :S

And then there are these pre-digested bombs.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pork-falls-from-sky-lands-on-home-travis-adair-florida-mystery/