Slappie

BEER RULES!!!!

BEER RULES
1. An unwritten law, one as immutable and irrefutable as gravity and backed by history, states that skydivers enjoy the drinking of beer almost as much as flight itself.
2. A manifestation of this fact is the tradition of the buying by an individual skydiver a case of beer (that being twenty-four cans or bottles holding twelve or more ounces of beer, ale, or some similar such substance) for his or her fellow jumpers to celebrate the accomplishment of a particular feat or milestone in one's jump career.
3. It is generally recognized that the buying and drinking of such beer enhances that common bond shared by skydivers and contributes greatly to the body of knowledge concerning parachuting and its related activities.
4. It is a sad fact that some skydivers are ignorant of what constitutes a significant achievement (usually and henceforth referred to as a "first"). Equally sad is the fact that some unscrupulously thirsty jumpers will shamelessly try to "weasel" a case of beer out of a jumper for an inauspicious event.
5. Recognizing this, the following happenings are to be regarded as suitable occasions for buying beer. This list is not to be construed as exhaustive.
6. First jump (It is not required of students. They are simply encouraged to participate).
7. If more than one first is accomplished on a single jump, only one case of beer is required.
8. Participation is voluntary. If a skydiver chooses not to participate by buying, neither shall the skydiver enjoy the fruits of the accomplishments of others.
9. Non-drinkers may buy sodas and buyers may make up any part or whole of their purchase in soda for the enjoyment of those non-drinkers.
9. It is generally recognized that using a reserve parachute for the purpose of saving one's worthless, non-packing self from a gory death requires him to buy the saving rigger dinner or the bottle of liquor of his choice.
10. These articles are ironclad and binding. For the price of an additional six-pack, a sniveling skydiver may enlist the services of an S & TA to represent him or her in a hearing where the committee will rule against that skydiver a second time.
11. Completing the student course of instruction
*First four way
*First eight way
*First CRW
*First time in the peas
*First night jump
*First kiss pass
*First competition
*First water jump
*First naked jump
*First jump on your own pack job
*First dead center (measured by a judge or electronic scoring pad on a three or five cm disc)
*First jump on a new main or new rig (purchased, not borrowed)
*Any license, award, rating, or badge
*Getting your name or photo in "Parachutist" Magazine
*Gross safety violations not resulting in serious injury or death
*Any jump ending in "00"
*First cutaway/reserve ride
*First jump from an aircraft not normally used at home drop zone
*First jump at a new drop zone
*First demo jump
*First save (you riggers thought you were getting off easy)
*Vomiting in the airplane or on another skydiver
*First round canopy jump (Geez, used to be the other way around)
*First broken bone
*First camera jump
Any questions??? :P
Blue Skies!http://www.geocities.com/scollins77057/index.html

Amen brother. You too have seen the light and listened to the TRUE word. All one need do to hear the true word is to open ones heart and mouth and taste the truth. Experience the true joy of the sacrament of the hops. These heathens who dare defile our temple must be cast out. They have been lead astray by the evil one and now must go to live with him. Yeast is mine sayeth the lord. Yea though I walk through the valley of functions I will buy my beer. I am the way the truth and the light, he who drinks with me will never go low!
I have been to the bunker top and found a burning weed which spoke to me. It gave me these seven commandments (odd number huh!)
1. Always buy your beer.
2. thou shalt not bear false witness about buying your beer.
3. Thou shalt buy only green bottles **
4. Thou shalt not make beer from rice.
5. Thou shalt covet thy neighbors beer
6. Thou shalt hold no drinks above beer.
7. Thou shalt not lead students astray from buying their beer.
** Or other equally high-quality beer in other-colored bottles.

While most companies refrain from allowing consumption of alcohol on
the premises, there are some good arguments for changing that policy.
Reasons for allowing drinking at work include:
1. It's an incentive to show up.
2. It reduces stress.
3. It leads to more honest communications.
4. It reduces complaints about low pay.
5. It cuts down on time off because you can cure hangovers, from
night before, with another drink.
6. Employees tell management what they think, not what management wants hear.
7. It helps save on heating costs in the winter.
8. It encourages carpooling.
9. Increases job satisfaction because if you have a bad job you don't care.
10. It eliminates vacations because people would rather come to work.
11. It makes fellow employees look better.
12. It makes the cafeteria food taste better.
13. Bosses are more likely to hand out raises when they are wasted.
14. Salary negotiations are a lot more profitable.
15. Suddenly, farting during a meeting isn't so embarassing.
16. No one will remember your strip act at the Christmas Party.

Slappie

9. Non-drinkers may buy sodas and buyers may make up any part or whole of their purchase in soda for the enjoyment of those non-drinkers.

I searched the forum because I wanted to know this. I'm really new to the sport and am faced with the "Beer Rules" which I'm a bit uncomfortable with.

I don't drink, not because I have anything against it, but the DZ is 30kms from my house and i will NOT even have one drink and then drive home. So I shouldn't say I don't drink but I don't ever drink at the DZ after a day of skydiving.

Of course I want to hang out and take part in the camaraderie but I don't ever drink any beer offered. I have bought 2 cases of beer for a couple of occasions but I'm a bit uncomfortable with it. So I was thinking about bringing in something else (soda, or cookies, or something else...?)but didn't know if it would be weird or offensive. I still feel like the new kid on the block and have trouble fitting in anyway... so it's like I feel pressured to buy beer that I don't know much about and don't even drink myself.

Would it be weird to bring in something other than beer? Will it be looked down on?

thetreehugger

Would it be weird to bring in something other than beer? Will it be looked down on?

I don't see why it should be looked down on - it's really the gesture that counts. On the other hand, you don't need to know about beer to buy it for others, and I'm sure nobody will care if you don't drink any of your own beer - they'll just be grateful that you supplied them with it!

Edited to add: Good for you for having a responsible attitude to drinking and driving. :)

MikeJD

I don't see why it should be looked down on - it's really the gesture that counts. On the other hand, you don't need to know about beer to buy it for others, and I'm sure nobody will care if you don't drink any of your own beer - they'll just be grateful that you supplied them with it!

Edited to add: Good for you for having a responsible attitude to drinking and driving. :)

Thats a good idea. Some food would go over really well and beer can get expensive outside the US.

But that would mean ...no...no beer for me...to quench my thirst.

thetreehugger

I searched the forum because I wanted to know this. I'm really new to the sport and am faced with the "Beer Rules" which I'm a bit uncomfortable with.

I don't drink, not because I have anything against it, but the DZ is 30kms from my house and i will NOT even have one drink and then drive home. So I shouldn't say I don't drink but I don't ever drink at the DZ after a day of skydiving.

Of course I want to hang out and take part in the camaraderie but I don't ever drink any beer offered. I have bought 2 cases of beer for a couple of occasions but I'm a bit uncomfortable with it. So I was thinking about bringing in something else (soda, or cookies, or something else...?)but didn't know if it would be weird or offensive. I still feel like the new kid on the block and have trouble fitting in anyway... so it's like I feel pressured to buy beer that I don't know much about and don't even drink myself.

Sure you can bring things other than beer.

Some pizzas in the middle of a day are a great substitution. Cookies, unspecial brownies :ph34r:, water, drinks.

If the DZ has a freezer a box of ice-cream treats are great too.

I buy beer because I drink it, and frankly buying a case of beer is way easier for coordinating something else.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Wow... a thread from 16 years ago! :D

Back in the day we had a No Cheap Beer foundation, complete with website, list of members and rules. Really kind of silly, but it was funny.

http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/NCB.html

Anyway, it's okay if you don't drink. You don't have to. If you're not comfortable buying beer, even for others, then don't. There are other things you can get as has already been suggested.

Deacon Billy Vance
NCB-206

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

MikeJD

^This.

Last weekend (Sept 23 & 24th) was hot and humid.

The person who brought in a cooler full of water and Gatorade and said "it's here for all of us" was a truly kind and generous soul.
And it was deeply appreciated.

I don't drink either.

Water, munchies, coffee in the morning (one of the "Box of Joe" things from Dunkin Donuts), all of those are appreciated.

And maybe a 6 pack of beer every once in a while.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

thetreehugger

I don't think that anyone will fault you for bringing something other than beer. I've always felt that the main reason beer rules are enforced so much on new jumpers is to encourage them to hang around at the end of the day and really become part of the community. Hang out, listen to the old guy's stories, and enjoy the people that make up the skydiving community.

And if your dz has a bunkhouse, its okay to indulge in a few beers and spend the night. You even get the added bonus of another day at the dz.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

So I was thinking about bringing in something else (soda, or cookies, or something else...?)but didn't know if it would be weird or offensive. I still feel like the new kid on the block and have trouble fitting in anyway... so it's like I feel pressured to buy beer that I don't know much about and don't even drink myself.

Up to you. Bring a case of soda, or Gatorade, or nonalcoholic beer. Or get a few sixes of beer for everyone and some sodas for yourself.

(The value of this tradition, by the way, is to get people to talk to you about your first - because those firsts are a very good time to get advice/suggestions/warnings about the first, and the beer helps with that.)

Yup. Around 2003/4; when Chili had a beer offense - he was a nondrinker and would not buy beer. Instead; he went to the store and bought Ice cream and root beer, set up a table and built everyone a root beer float. It was actually well received and everyone enjoyed the hell out of them on that hot Oklahoma summer day.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

They make these things called tents and sleeping bags. If you take them to the dz with you you don't have to worry about a dui on the way home 😉
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .