scooterskydives

Ear Plugs....

I mentioned earlier my concern about equalizing in freefall and why I wont wear earplugs. This was based on my scuba experiences. After speaking with a Dr (NOT and ent, for full disclosure but a smart guy) my fears have been belayed a bit. There was a few errors in my science that I’ll share.

In scuba there is an increase in pressure from the water. Earplugs do not work because the water can actually push them against your eardrum increasing a risk of injury. That is why they are unsafe, not as I thought because they block your ability to equalize. I am also embarrassed to admit I believed you equalized from your ear to the drum. This is not true as the video someone posted above explains. You equalize from your Eustachian Tube to your throat. If that is not blocked you can equalize. Earplugs should not have any effect during freefall.

I’m not advising anyone to jump with them. Just explaining how my opinion has changed. Do NOT wear them scuba diving, though. You will be injured for the reason I mentioned above.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Yes
Yes

Get some, don't think too much about it and try them out a few weekends consistently. Chances are you'll wear them from then on.

Unless you're doing CRW, they are great.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Yes
Yes

Get some, don't think too much about it and try them out a few weekends consistently. Chances are you'll wear them from then on.

I was using the non-disposable (non-foam) ear plugs in the airplane, but I was taking them out for freefall. Was worried about equalisation, since they were made from solid material (with no vent-hole in it). I will give these new one a try!

Thanks! Do you wear them while in freefall? If so, did you notice any change when it comes to pressure equalisation?

Yes, and no in that order. :-)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My AFF instructors said that they prefer I not wear them, saying that they want to make sure I can hear the radio. I'll pacify them for seven jumps, but after that, I'm wearing hearing protection. I have terrible tinnitus in my left ear from being young and stupid and that same ear has significant hearing loss at certain frequencies. You only get one set of eyes and ears. Better to take care of them.
Sincerely,
Kevin

My AFF instructors said that they prefer I not wear them, saying that they want to make sure I can hear the radio. I'll pacify them for seven jumps, but after that, I'm wearing hearing protection. I have terrible tinnitus in my left ear from being young and stupid and that same ear has significant hearing loss at certain frequencies. You only get one set of eyes and ears. Better to take care of them.

You can make both parties happy, Kevin. My helmet fits nice & tight to my head. I can still stick a pinky between face/helmet earpiece, & flick the plugs out of my ears. I wear a Benny. So, the plugs aren't going anywhere until I remove the helmet. Once you're under canopy? Just reach in, & flick_flick. They'll be out.

I like it. I have some "combat" ear plugs like these http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Health/Safety/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LES9MG812H2_nid=Q9HRRXWL57gsQQFFG1G8R7glMB6JDZSHS7bl. They have the cord, so I could tie it off to the inside of the helmet as well. Don't know about that silver one I wore on the last jump. I am looking to get a Benny. Maybe I'll have it before the next jump.

Thanks for the tip!
Sincerely,
Kevin

I bought a pair of the SureFire Sonic Defenders EP-3, and had didn't have a problem hearing the instructor over the radio while under canopy. (At least, no worse than normal).

They are supposed to better block the most intense noises.

OTOH, they cost ~$15 bucks, and based on the comments above, if I ever need to replace them, I think I'll just lay in a supply of the cheap foam ones. (I was worried the foam ones would cause pressure equalization problems, but apparently they don't).

Eh. $15 isn't too bad for hearing protection. I do some shooting, too, so they could serve a couple of functions. I may check them out. I have so much Surefire stuff from three trips to Iraq, they should just GIVE them to me. LOL

If I get some, I'll report my opinion here.

Thanks!
Sincerely,
Kevin

I bought a pair of the SureFire Sonic Defenders EP-3, and had didn't have a problem hearing the instructor over the radio while under canopy. (At least, no worse than normal).

They are supposed to better block the most intense noises.

OTOH, they cost ~$15 bucks, and based on the comments above, if I ever need to replace them, I think I'll just lay in a supply of the cheap foam ones. (I was worried the foam ones would cause pressure equalization problems, but apparently they don't).

On the other side of the Atlantic swoop pond they cost $32 plus shipping.
I have done about 100 jumps with mine now, so that makes about $0.32 per jump, but they are still as new.
Sure foam ones are cheaper and you can use them for several uses, but they are in my opinion quite nasty

Do the EP-3s come with some sort of a case? ...

Sort of. A small clear plastic thing (roughly the size of a contact lens case) that folds open and smushes shut. It's made from the type of stiff, thin, clear plastic that consumer products are often packaged in. But the earplug are almost totally soft rubber (except for the tiny plug), so they should survive crushing incidents.

Yes
Yes

I was using the non-disposable (non-foam) ear plugs in the airplane, but I was taking them out for freefall. Was worried about equalisation, since they were made from solid material (with no vent-hole in it). I will give these new one a try!

If you put them in at ground level, have no issue going TO altitude, then you will not have an issue on descent. Boyles Law wil be your friend.B|

Yes
Yes

Do they go in my ear before or after the ipod earbuds?;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

B|Sarcasm understood… :)
I wear foam plugs on every jump. I put them in just before the plane pulls up, and take them out after I take off my helmet on the ground. I've never experienced any negative results.

I buy big boxes of disposable plugs and share with everyone. I make sure there is a full box in the display cabinet at SDTC with a FREE sign on them. If I'm around and you need plugs, just ask. Huh?B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Yes for sure you can not wear them during training because of the radio, so after you graduate.... ;)
If God wanted man to stay on the ground.
He would of put roots on them instead of feet.
loving life
GO-N-UP

can you believe 130 decibels in freefall!!! yeouch

Really??? She registered 130db on her meter for the full minute of belly-flying free fall? Please verify that. If true, that suqs. Sometimes I wear 'em. Sometimes I don't. If it's really 130db. I'll have to wear 'em all the time. Bummer...

Unbelievable huh??? Now that was on someone without a helmet on... I'm telling ya... you don't relize how bad it is.. Thats why I want to inform everyone.. because Tinnintus really really sucks!!!
If God wanted man to stay on the ground.
He would of put roots on them instead of feet.
loving life
GO-N-UP