aix2011

Landable malfunction?

....and a good reason to practice landing with rears only.

not saying play with it up high; but i still think it's a BAD idea for you AND me to take that down to the ground.. just expressing my concerns! ;)

Why should we not practice landing with rears? It is on BillVon's downsizing checklist and I have done this on every canopy I have jumped more that once or twice so far.

You misunderstood him. He wasn't talking about landing a perfectly-functioning canopy with rears for practice. He was talking about the idea of landing a less-than-perfectly (i.e., slightly malfunctioned) canopy, which cannot be properly flared with brakes, on rears. Obviously, the prudence (or lack thereof) of doing that may vary with a canopy pilot's experience. And in that context, I think his word of caution is appropriate.

You misunderstood him. He wasn't talking about landing a perfectly-functioning canopy with rears for practice. He was talking about the idea of landing a less-than-perfectly (i.e., slightly malfunctioned) canopy, which cannot be properly flared with brakes, on rears. Obviously, the prudence (or lack thereof) of doing that may vary with a canopy pilot's experience. And in that context, I think his word of caution is appropriate.

I don't think I misunderstood him at all. Here is the reasoning from BillVon's downsizing checklist:

7. Land with rear risers. Knowing how to land with rear risers can help you deal with a canopy problem like a broken or stuck brake line, and can help you make a better land/cutaway decision when you do have such a problem.

It is quite clear that the intention of practicing this skill is to deal with a problem, particularly those involving brake lines.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I don't think I misunderstood him at all. Here is the reasoning from BillVon's downsizing checklist:

7. Land with rear risers. Knowing how to land with rear risers can help you deal with a canopy problem like a broken or stuck brake line, and can help you make a better land/cutaway decision when you do have such a problem.

It is quite clear that the intention of practicing this skill is to deal with a problem, particularly those involving brake lines.

Uh, I think it's obvious from context that Bill's recommendation wasn't to land a slightly-malfunctioned canopy with rears, it was to land a well-functioning canopy with rears.

Uh, I think it's obvious from context that Bill's recommendation wasn't to land a slightly-malfunctioned canopy with rears, it was to land a well-functioning canopy with rears.

Ok - let's go back to what I originally said:

I understand what you (and BillVon) are saying. I am not saying that the OP should have landed on the rears in this case.

I am saying that jumpers should practice this skill (with a good canopy) to give an extra option in a mal involving steering lines.

V-B's reply said it was a bad idea for us (him and me) to land a canopy like this. I disagree and was citing BillVon's checklist to support my view.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

You have a reserve for a good reason. You don't have to land any ball of sh1t.

But reserves also malfunction. Landing a canopy on the rears is a useful skill to have and can avoid the need to use your last chance to live.

Better to be safe than sorry. None would question why have you cut that mess away. I'm not a test pilot and I don't do mid-air rigging either, if I have any doubt I go for plan B. I wouldn't jump if I don't trust my reserve.

just to make myself clear; i think it's a bad idea either way, that is if you dont have A LOT of experience.. and have your swoops diealed in pretty good so far.. VERY easy to stall that way! or not flare enough.. either way, i think it's something that only very experienced jumper should be doing..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

just to make myself clear; i think it's a bad idea either way, that is if you dont have A LOT of experience.. and have your swoops diealed in pretty good so far.. VERY easy to stall that way! or not flare enough.. either way, i think it's something that only very experienced jumper should be doing..

We are talking about different things here.

You are talking about using rears to extend a HP landing (if I understand you correctly). I am talking about practicing landing with rears only on a straight in approach.

Maybe that is where the confusion arose.

~ CanuckInUSA

We are talking about different things here.

You are talking about using rears to extend a HP landing (if I understand you correctly). I am talking about practicing landing with rears only on a straight in approach.

Maybe that is where the confusion arose.

even that i think is, at least in my opinion, more than questionable..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

if the flip thru happens below the slider you can either front flip or back flip thru the risers under canopy.
:D:D:D

Does this work?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

if the flip thru happens below the slider you can either front flip or back flip thru the risers under canopy.

Does this work?

dude, if the bone of humour was stuck up your ass, would you "feel" it!? :S
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Does this work?

In theory it should but as mentioned up-thread, I am fairly sure this has led to at least one incident and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Imagine what would happen if you got a foot tangled in the lines and were hanging upside down. Your situation just got a lot worse.

I don't think stayhigh would either, judging by the :D:D:D

~ CanuckInUSA

I watched a buddy do the back flip to remove a flip through, on a slower more docile canopy.

But it is one of those things that one doesn't recommend people to do unless they have really thought it through...

I did the Brian Vacher safe flight school course last year. Jump 10 included "landing on rear risers". His courses are aimed at anyone from 20 jumps up.

I did the Brian Vacher safe flight school course last year. Jump 10 included "landing on rear risers". His courses are aimed at anyone from 20 jumps up.

and just to be an ass, his courses have the reputation that 2 or 3 out of 20 end up hurting themselves..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

and just to be an ass, his courses have the reputation that 2 or 3 out of 20 end up hurting themselves..

So now you know better than a member of the PD Factory Team?

~ CanuckInUSA

So now you know better than a member of the PD Factory Team?

of course not; it's just the typical response you get around here for asking about those courses..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I think most people on here would be very supportive of canopy control courses.

so am i! but you can put people at additonal risk, or you can do a safer approach. not saying brian was "unsafe"; all i said was his course do have a "reputation". there's other people around here that also do such courses. and they dont have such reputation..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Re: intentional backflip through lines to fix flip through

Video, please! B|

Sorry, didn't have the camera rolling on that hop and pop exit. But I just got email back from him where he states, "I remember packing it saying there is a flip through in it and I didn't care cause I would fix it in the air."

And he was right.
(Yeah, "don't try this at home kids". Let's just say he knows what he's doing. He was under a double keel Paradactyl and I was under a ParaCommander at the time.:P)

I watched a buddy do the back flip to remove a flip through, on a slower more docile canopy.

But it is one of those things that one doesn't recommend people to do unless they have really thought it through...

I saw someone do it once too...snagged the reserve handle.

THAT'LL learn ya! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~