skydiverek

Inverted airplane spin in Santiago - video...

The value of this is in reminding or educating that it can be difficult or impossible to get out of a plane that is doing bad stuff. Do whatever you can to prevent the bad stuff. Pay attention to cg issues, and be sensitive to precursor behavior of the a/c.

In the old days it was a bad thing if the tail on our twin beech started shaking.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

It was posted somewhere, I'm 99% sure the pilot escaped at the last minute with a bailout rig.

it was towards the end of that last minute... but he made it safely to the ground IIRC
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

this scenario is probably my biggest fear in skydiving (getting stuck in the plane with a bunch of skydivers between me and the exit, in an emergency) followed closely by a durring/after take off incident. I feel better when I'm near the door for a first out and/or hop-n-pop. Slightly clauserphobic maybe?

glad everyone made it out in both the examples in this thread.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Aren't you referring to this DIFFERENT accident?:

Hmmm, I might be. I know I have seen both videos, and I know there was a thread discussing the crash in Chile (I remember dissecting the continuity of the jumpers different video angles), but you may be right on the mix up with regards to the outcome of the pilot. The guy in Chile may have gotten out as well, but I'm not sure now.

this scenario is probably my biggest fear in skydiving (getting stuck in the plane with a bunch of skydivers between me and the exit, in an emergency) followed closely by a durring/after take off incident. I feel better when I'm near the door for a first out and/or hop-n-pop. Slightly clauserphobic maybe?

glad everyone made it out in both the examples in this thread.

Had this once.
Takeoff, about 30 seconds after the takeoff the pilot says "sh*t!" --> turns towards us and says "everything's ok!" (that was great!! :)
That was a little scary at first.

The value of this is in reminding or educating that it can be difficult or impossible to get out of a plane that is doing bad stuff.

This is so true. Unless you have experienced a high-g situation you can't believe how it feels to be inches from the door, but completely stuck to the floor and unable to move.

Kevin K.

Comp Air 7 Turbine registration (Chile) CC-PJE

From what I recall from the original thread, it was very new at the time of the accident. Maybe not first-load-of-jumpers new, but something around a couple or six months old.

?...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3830813;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Bingo, that's the one. There was a link to a South American message board for jumpers that had more details about what happened, and the pilot did get out of the CompAir at 2k-ish, and had only minor injuries on landing. It also confirms that the plane was just finished that month, so pretty damn new.

The link to the other accident, I think from Australia, that pilot got out as well, and I think he was the one who just barely made it out.

This makes my palms sweat thinking about the ride up "in the hole" of a particular twin otter of a california drop zone (not a dig on the DZ, I like the place). I can barely make it through the opening when it is on the ground.

Is that a legal passenger location?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The value of this is in reminding or educating that it can be difficult or impossible to get out of a plane that is doing bad stuff.

And when you do clear the plane deploy your parachute! Both of these videos bug me. There's no good reason to perform an emergency bailout then go skydiving with the plane [:/]