KellyF

Reserve line twists

What is a "BWC"?

Maybe the guy really wanted to experience ground rush?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If he demo's that reserve you may have lost a sale.:S He won't be able to jump anymore, if he's even alive.

What would be worse is if he gets away with it, once.

Well, I'm guessing that the first jump would be a nice landing after a big turn starting around 700', followed by the realization that he may not want to land it without a turn and may not have the time or altitude to plan and execute a turn after an actual cutaway. At least his first jump on the 99 wouldn't be after a low chop.

I'd rather lose a sale than lose a customer.

FWIW, 160lbs and a wing loading of about 1.5 on a reserve gave me a decent rate of 1500fpm with deployment brakes set, and ~2000 with with them released.

If he demo's that reserve you may have lost a sale.:S He won't be able to jump anymore, if he's even alive.

Well, I'm guessing that the first jump would be a nice landing after a big turn starting around 700', followed by the realization that he may not want to land it without a turn and may not have the time or altitude to plan and execute a turn after an actual cutaway. At least his first jump on the 99 wouldn't be after a low chop.

FWIW, 160lbs and a wing loading of about 1.5 on a reserve gave me a decent rate of 1500fpm with deployment brakes set, and ~2000 with with them released.

1500fpm is 17mph and 2000fpm is 22mph for everyone else.

Was that on a zero wind day? What reserve and size was it?
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

There are 3 reasons to not jump an RSL. Cameras, CRW, and ego.

If you include ego there are really six
1. cameras
2. CRW
3. Broken risers (Mostly corrected now with re-inforced risers but there are still some old risers out there attached to RSL's) Heavy guys jumping mini risers and they bust one and fire the reserve into the main.
4. Three ring hang ups. Again mostly a problem on older gear but if it don't release on one side and the RSL side goes then you have a big problem. This can also happen on new gear that is not properly maintained and checked. You are supposed to flex and check your 3 rings every 30 days and nobody does that.
5. And this is a big one.....
Premature deployments on the step or in the door.

A few years back some good friends of mine had an incident that made national news. One jumper was climbing out on the step of a 182 and had his main container open and the bag and lines wrapped around the wing strut. As the main started to deploy he chopped it and left and opened his reserve. If he would have had an RSL he would have fired his reserve into the tail and been killed and likely every one else on board.

After he left all the other jumpers and the pilot jumped and the plane crashed with no one on board towing a main canopy.

Freak accident for sure but on that day not having an RSL saved 5 lives.

An RSL would have killed all of them.

Now some will say you can always disconnect it but then why? In this situation it might save you but in this situation it might not. So on this jump I will attach it and on this jump I won't.

so then you start playing mind games and when you need it, it's not hooked up and when you don't want it it is.

It's a crap shoot folks, I have never jumped with an RSL but after having two shoulder surgeries on my left side I am considering it. The gear is much better than it used to be so maybe one of those new fangled skyhooks might save my ass if I have a stroke or pop a shoulder.

In the end it is a personal choice.

And JP, I love ya man but 79 cutaways? Dude, does your packer hate you or do you have a stability problem?
Onward and Upward!

And JP, I love ya man but 79 cutaways? Dude, does your packer hate you or do you have a stability problem?

79 pre planed on a 3 canopy system. 25 for real. 1 Total. And my packers always hate me.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

79 pre planed on a 3 canopy system. 25 for real. 1 Total. And my packers always hate me.

Wow! What a fun hog you are.
B|
Onward and Upward!

The wind conditions have no effect on descent rate.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I put dangerous. The reasons I put dangerous is because of the canopies I jump. The biggest canopy I own, besides my reserves, is a VC 79. I personally have had 3 cutaways where I have continued spinning after cutting away. I have not been flung straight out and my rotation stopped after cutting away. My cutaways were on a ka107 loaded at 1.7, jvx69 loaded at 2.75, and a jvx63 loaded at 3.02. I have also witnessed Brian McNenney cutaway on his VC71 and have him spinning soo bad after he cutaway that it took him 7 to 10 seconds to get stable again, which he had plenty of altitude to do so. I agree RSLs and SkyHooks have there purpose and place and are great inventions and tools. On the same note tho, on my rig is not where they belong because of my canopy choices.

jvx63 loaded at 3.02

don't you think that your WL @ this point move you "slightly" beyond what is considered as a typical range WL for an average skydiver (using common sense of course) ;) thus beyond the typical range of usable tools for an average skydiver
You should post on some new category of Ballistic freaks of nature :D sorry, I couldn't resist
j.
Back to Poland... back home.

It was an early PD-106R, possibly a prototype, and I'm not sure if the brake settings were changed after that time period or not. I was asked if I wanted to jump the 99 and I declined. I'm not sure if anyone had jumped one at that point or not, but I wasn't anxious to be the first.

Haha! Sry you got that from my post, was just saying that I have had to stop myself from spinning after cutting away my reserve and have seen it on other canopies. I was just reminded of another jump where a student jumping a 220 loaded under 1:1 had a line over and when he cutaway, rig had an rsl, he ended up with 6 to 8 linetwist on his reserve. Just my personal experience with rsl/skyhook and why i choose not to jump one and why i consider having linetwist on my reserve dangerous.

I was just reminded of another jump where a student jumping a 220 loaded under 1:1 had a line over and when he cutaway, rig had an rsl, he ended up with 6 to 8 linetwist on his reserve. Just my personal experience with rsl/skyhook and why i choose not to jump one and why i consider having linetwist on my reserve dangerous.

So besides your tiny mains, how would your reserve behave with some line twists and a little bit of harness input? ;)

Why no rsl on camera jump?????

If you get something caught with the equipment on your head it might not be a good idea to launch a reserve in the middle of the mess.

Agreed!
But if you are jumping a modern camera helmet - with no snag points - the non-RSL debate becomes a waste of time.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people forget fatalities - like Robin Sutherland (circa 1988) - then feel the need to re-invent the thing that killed Robin.

IOW Anyone who STILL jumps a camera helmet - with snag points - is ... er ... blissfully unaware.

If you get something caught with the equipment on your head it might not be a good idea to launch a reserve in the middle of the mess.

Also because if the RSL is on the same side of many camera set ups (or even if the camera is top-of-head), the RSL itself can (and has in the past proven to) be itself, a potential snag hazard. - FWIW.

Why are you STILL jumping a helmet with snag points?????

Robin Sutherland learned that lesson - the hard way - back in 1988. Why do modern cameramen insist on re-inventing ways to kill themselves??????

Would it help if I mailed you a roll of gaffer's tape????

"

3. Broken risers (Mostly corrected now with re-inforced risers but there are still some old risers out there attached to RSL's) Heavy guys jumping mini risers and they bust one and fire the reserve into the main.

"

I saw reinforced mini-risers at the 1993 PIA Symposium.

In 1998, Bill booth published the definitive standard on how to manufacture reinforced mini-risers.

Anyone who is still jumping (13-15 year old) non-reinforced mini-risers is ..... I am not allowed to use that much profanity in public ....................

"

5. And this is a big one.....
Premature deployments on the step or in the door.

Proper maintenance (e.g. a fresh closing loop) could have prevented 99 percent of their problems.

Remember folks! Closing loops are cheap, but airplane tails are expensive!

"

"

I saw reinforced mini-risers at the 1993 PIA Symposium.

In 1998, Bill booth published the definitive standard on how to manufacture reinforced mini-risers.

Anyone who is still jumping (13-15 year old) non-reinforced mini-risers is ..... I am not allowed to use that much profanity in public ....................

The reinforced risers still break, and they don't have to be so well used to break. The inventor thinks that having the risers be the weak link to limit loads in hard openings is a good feature, and I agree. Many modern cars have force limiters in the seatbelts (they don't break however, they just stretch out further). A problem with that load limiter/breaking feature for risers is when you have a one sided RSL.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am