padalka

Vigil AAD

Speaking of getting wacked in the face, I was packing a Mirage this weekend and my pull-up cord broke as I was putting my last temp-pin in. Got me right in the kisser. You would have laughed...

I have busted my own lip doing that....After feeling like an idiot, I found it quite funny.

Have you seen a guy fall backwards yet when they break? :D WAY funny.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

THANK GOD FOR THE VIGIL!!!!!!!!!!!
I turn on my "expired" cypress every day just waiting to get an error. I am SO happy that we have another choice when it comes to AAD's. I cant wait to get mine...
you know it's funny, when i was a student we were using the fxc 1200 (i think thats what it was) any way it was SHIT and no one said anything about it. and as far a the "water resistant" issue goes....
WTF "A certain amount of water resistance" means exactly what it says....
"A certain amount"
and if you would read the site it says the water resistant version will be out soon...B|
I think it's just weird for our community to shun competition that in the long run will spawn innovation, and reliability not to mention get rid of the STUPID 12 year service life (what a frickin racket).
you know i would like to hear from vigil owners that are unhappy and havent had their concerns addressed.
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Travis, how much do you know about the service life and availbity of repacement parts on 12 year old electronics? The Service life just happens to be about the same as the availbility of replacement parts will last. The Cypres2 was built on mostly new electronics because the suppliers of the parts could'nt keep the old ones in stock. It was no longer feasible for them to keep making the old design since the cost would have skyrocketed.

Order replacement parts for a 12 year old computer. Finding something as common as memory is next to impossible. And computers are more popular on the order of hundreds of times then a Cypres was. What happens in 8 years if the supplier of a part does away with that? They better have a large supply on hand, or they will have to change the design. Another issue is that with out the maintence peroids they have minimal feed back from the field about the wear on aged units. No chance to upgrade sensors, no chance to notice burnt transistors...

Word I got from someone from SSK was that finding a supplier for the controller was the hardest part. The hardest part was not changing the "feel" from the first generation. An all new controller was possible, but it would'nt have been the same feel so it was'nt considered.

I think the Vigil is a good idea, they just need to address a few concerns before its a great product.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The 12 year service life was built into their buisness plan

You know this? When I bought mine they didn't have a service life....

However the points he brought up are quite valid....Would you want to use a 12 year old computer at work?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

>Would you want to use a 12 year old computer at work?

They are considerably more reliable than modern computers primarily due to the simplicity of the software and the larger IC geometry. I have a 13 year old laptop that works great. However, fixing them is difficult.

Why do I need different modes. I only need it for my solo-rig and I'm not planning to do tandems or student jumps with a stiletto 107.

I would rather be able to set it so it would fire at a lower speed. Not as slow as the student version, but not as fast as the expert. My main just can't dive anywhere near fast enough to reach the expert firing speed. I would rather it be more likely to fire if I am stupid enough or passed out under a 'somewhat' high speed mal and go low. With the existing threshold, I think only a bag lock mal would be fast enough to get it to fire.

A really hard opening with broken lines & tears with the user too hurt to save themselves is scenario I am thinking of. At least the reserve would have a chance to help.

Of course it would be dangerous for this speed to be too easily adjusted or set incorrectly when powering up.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The speed you are talking about is the studnet speed. A streamer, a spnning line over.. those should both fire a student model but not the expert one.

A Streamer should trigger both models also.

I think you're agreeing with me, but I'm not sure.

Of course streamers come in different descent rates depending on a lot of factors, but given that swoopers have had a tough time reaching that speed, and I have no interest in a canopy that can dive that fast, I think a lower threshold would allow it to handle some scenarios that it currently will not.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Would you want to use a 12 year old computer at work?

Depending on the task at hand - why not?
I mean except for video editing or other 'capacity consuming' activities most modern computers give you much more than you ever need.
My guess is that 90% of the WORK I do on this computer here can be done just as easely with an 80368 windows 3.1 machine running word 3 and excel 2.
At home, somewhere in the basement I got a Sinclair ZX81 - in working order. :)(and it has the 64k memory expansion!)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Depending on the task at hand - why not?

Considering the task could possibly kill you if it does not work by missfiring, or may not save you....

So, knowing that if that computer crashes, you could die....Which would you want? A New simple computer without a lot of gadgets, an old simple computer without a lot of gadgets, or a new computer with a lot of gadgets that might crash?

If it`s working and if it`s as good as yesterday? You know don`t touch working stuff and don`t even try to fix something if it`s working properly.

If self test fails it`s high time to retire.

So if the old CYPRES is just fine...Why by a new unproven unit?

They are considerably more reliable than modern computers primarily due to the simplicity of the software and the larger IC geometry. I have a 13 year old laptop that works great. However, fixing them is difficult.

Would you risk your life on a 12 year old computer?

Would you risk your life on a 12 year old computer?

I honestly dont ever remember seeing a BSD on a sinclair! :D
Remster

Actually with the exception of the newest shuttle (and thats only because it has a docking port for a laptop) my TI 85 calculator is a match(or close to a match) for the entire shuttle fleet's computing power

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

So if the old CYPRES is just fine...Why buy a new unproven unit?

Because that is forced upon you, since your rigger doesn't want to pack your reserve anymore except without the old cypres1?
BTW: When I bought mine, nowhere it said it had a limited lifetime and that lifetime was 12 year and three months from the date of mfg. I bought and use it under dutch rules that say no part of the parachute assembly should be older than 20 years.
AND (AFAIK) there is one documented save by a unit that was older than 12 year and 3 months (Rantoul 2004 I believe - despite of it being 'outside of the guarantee period' and therefore illegal it worked as advertised).
So apart from their proven technical reliability they also came up with business tactics that as such might make me take a hard look elsewhere...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

dutch rules that say no part of the parachute assembly should be older than 20 years.

I could never figure out these kinds of rules...I just dont know how the parts of the rig. be it container, harness, reserve, main...goes bad on that first day past 20yrs. so it is safe to jump at 19yrs and 363 days...but a few more days and it's bad voodoo. I dont get it. if its airworthy its airworthy....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

>Would you risk your life on a 12 year old computer?

Absolutely! And I think you would too. I suspect you would place a lot more trust in the Space Shuttle's computers than you would on your PC - even though the Shuttle's computers are ancient compared to yours. (No offense, Wendy.) It all has to do with design and programming; managing complexity is a huge problem nowadays for programmers.

>So if the old CYPRES is just fine...Why by a new unproven unit?

?? So are old cypreses bad or good? Why buy a new (unproven) cypres II to replace your old 11.5 year old cypres 1?

....like to hear from vigil owners that are unhappy and havent had their concerns addressed.

Funny, this hasn't happened yet.;) I'm still loving my vigil. I used both rigs this weekend, cypres 1 told me a bunch of numbers and crap. My vigil speaks english--I'm honestly much more comfortable using the vigil and jumping it than the cypres.

I think I need to ditch the cypres for another vigil