padalka

Vigil AAD

To everyone who is interested in buying Vigil AAD. We have recently (in may 04) bought 5 Vigil devices. Soon after few jumps 2 out of 5 already started making problems. You can quickly see the statistic out of it.

My Vigil didn't want to turn on since the beginning. I always had to try to turn it on several times before I managed. I first thought that maybe I haven't pushed enough on the button, but it also happened to others who wanted to help me. After few jumps Vigil also started to report an error of CTRL and of course turns off immediately.

My friend has other problems. Vigil AAD is turning off due the jump or maybe already in aeroplane, who knows.

There's no point to have a safety device if you feel safer without it!!

So, before buying a Vigil, read articles as much as possible, ask a lot of vigil users, not only dealers!!

Blue skies!

MD Tina
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only few things are valuable in life, don't miss them, jump them!

MD Tina

I also had this happen on a Cypres2. I even have seen a couple units that instead of counting down to 0' they would count up to 9999'. Try to figure out the DZ offset for that.....

Things that are electronic can always screw up. Even those that are used for safety.

It's strange to read al these things about the VIGIL. I jump the vigil myself and friends of me jump the VIGIL and they never had any problem with it. If i see that major skydiving schools as TEXEL(holland) and PACK PLUS(France-Gap) have the VIGIl in their studentrigs then i only can say. IT MUST BE GOOD. THE FRENCH 4-WAY and 8-WAY have the VIGIL in their rigs. Also DELAND MAJIK. They never complained about a problem. I know only one thing, give it a chance. Competition will make things better than before.
George Diotme

Sorry, but if you and your friends had no problem with it yet, it does not mean that you can guarantee it for others, unless you have avery special relation with your Vigil (please forgive me not using all capitall letters). sorry, but this sounds like an advertisement. which make me think that you are the same person who was representing Vigil at last weeks CISM contest, aren't you?

Sorry, but if you and your friends had no problem with it yet, it does not mean that you can guarantee it for others,

I do not see anywhere that he stated that.

There are no guarantees in skydiving, but you probably knew that. You also assume that problems will occur at sometime. That's laughable.

I do not see anywhere that he stated that.

OK he said nothing about guarantee but:
IT MUST BE GOOD comes close;)

There are no guarantees in skydiving, but you probably knew that. You also assume that problems will occur at sometime. That's laughable***

Problems did already occur.

It's strange to read al these things about the VIGIL. I jump the vigil myself and friends of me jump the VIGIL and they never had any problem with it. If i see that major skydiving schools as TEXEL(holland) and PACK PLUS(France-Gap) have the VIGIl in their studentrigs then i only can say. IT MUST BE GOOD. THE FRENCH 4-WAY and 8-WAY have the VIGIL in their rigs. Also DELAND MAJIK. They never complained about a problem. I know only one thing, give it a chance. Competition will make things better than before.

All the guys mentioned above got the units for free. That's the real reason.

For the moment I'm happy with my Cypress and I have still 8 years left to see how this develops. By that time the company will deliver a good product or is off-market.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

The last weekend my rigger/instructor brought two Vigils to install them in rigs. One of them would not switch on. He removed the battery pack for a while, then plugged it back in and it switched on, then off, and would not switch on again. The other one was fine. I put all of one jump on it before breaking my ankle :P

I like many things about the Vigil. I like the free cutter replacement, 25 years of service, low maintenance cost, three modes, the silver case, and how it records your last 16 jumps, and shows you your last jump speed...

now if only it was a little more reliable to boot.

Also, did Deland go back to Vigils? They switched to Cypres2 after the misfires I think.

I like many things about the Vigil. I like the free cutter replacement, 25 years of service, low maintenance cost, three modes, the silver case, and how it records your last 16 jumps, and shows you your last jump speed...
now if only it was a little more reliable to boot.

I totally agree with you. It has so many benefits...

MD Tina

Last weekend I was standing beside a Vigil-equipped rig that got wet during a swooping competition. All of a sudden the reserve pilot chute comes shooting out all by itself.
So no, thank you, that thing is not coming anywhere near my rig (and probably not near anyone's that was there). I wouldn't want something in my rig that is more threatening to my safety than it is guarding it.

Better safe than not there to be sorry.
Nadine

Last weekend I was standing beside a Vigil-equipped rig that got wet during a swooping competition. All of a sudden the reserve pilot chute comes shooting out all by itself.
So no, thank you, that thing is not coming anywhere near my rig (and probably not near anyone's that was there). I wouldn't want something in my rig that is more threatening to my safety than it is guarding it.

Better safe than not there to be sorry.
Nadine

What's the big deal? Getting a Cypres I wet is bad mojo too.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

THE FRENCH 4-WAY and 8-WAY have the VIGIL in their rigs. ... They never complained about a problem.

are you sure of this statement ?? If I remember well, they had vigils firing during a jump...[:/] Apparently this problem has been solved...

I know only one thing, give it a chance. Competition will make things better than before.

this is certain, but unfortunately for them they have no chance for errors... The only competitor has had a 12 years monopoly...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

But the Vigil claims to be water resistant like the Cypres II, correct?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

But the Vigil claims to be water resistant like the Cypres II, correct?

Don't think so. From their website: "Water resistance VIGIL® will be available soon."

If you get a Cypres 1 wet, I doubt it will fire on it's own like the Vigil, when the rig has been lying on the ground for 10 minutes, or worse if you're on the next load up or in the air.
The owner of the rig said somehting to the effect of "Well that was supposed to be water resistant, what a load of crap"
The Cypres 1 doesn't claim it will be ok after getting wet, and so you know you should send it in then. But a Vigil claims otherwise at least in the case of that and some other units.

After what I saw, it seems to me that jumping without an AAD is safer than jumping with a Vigil.
But you know, if 72 out of 75 original BirdMen didn't die trying out something new, there probably wouldn't be that many bird people flying safely now.
Each to their own.

cya
Nadine

First, i would like to thank all the people who replyed on this forum. Therefor i would like to say a few words to some of them.
We never have said that the VIGIL units are waterproof or resistant.
When other AAD's have problems, there is nobody who talking about it. Is it because they are 12 or 15 years on the market. I have seen somebody Cypres firing during landing. It is easy to spread rumours, if they are correct and you have facts, names, dates, places please contact us and you will see we will do our best to solve the problem. We will communicate about the problem. BUT WE DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH RUMOURS.
About Deland Majik, they still jump there VIGIL units and they are Happy with it. If you all want to have more information about our product. Please come directly to us.
Tom Migerode
Sales Manager VIGIL AAD
See our Website.
Thanks to all of you who believe in VIGIL. It is probably the best AAD around.
George Diotme

I have seen somebody Cypres firing during landing.

BUT WE DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH RUMOURS.

*bg*

Thanks to all of you who believe in VIGIL. It is probably the best AAD around.

Probably means it works - probably.
So in this case, probably means nothing.
Only time will tell.

Don't be a Lutz!

Tom, thanks for replying ang giving some more info about yourself.
But being in the position you are at, is it really serious to give info like "the french 4 and 8 way are equipped and never had a problem " ?? Sorry but to me this reduces your credibility.
I do believe in the Vigil, but I still think the product is too young for me...
I only hqave 2 1/2 years in the activity, and when I started, the Cypres was around 10 years old, so very close to perfection.
Yes, there have been Cypres misfires, in Thailand, in Empuria etc etc...In some cases the cause has been found (flying very close to radars in Thailand), in some other case AFAIK we are still waiting for explanations (Fred F. in Empuria having his reserve coming out on final...), the cases have been discussed... But you must admit that these cases are less frequent than with the Vigil, and even more if you compare with the amount of Cypres's vs Vigil's.

When my Cypres1 dies, I still might be interested in a Vigil (in 4 years time)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM