AggieDave

Neptune woe

The LCD on my Neptune cracked on Wednesday. Why? No clue, I was doing a tandem, it was fine in freefall, I look at it under canopy and I can't read it...well I can't read 2/3's of the screen. The case wasn't even cracked, just the LCD. I've had the thing for maybe 4 months.

So, come to find out, these guys are fragile, be careful with them.

Luckily, the factory did tell me that they would rebuild it, not sure how much it will cost, we shall see; however, since I do need one for instruction jumps and its nice to have on fun jumps, I sucked it up and bought another alti today to get me through the period of time it will take for it to be rebuilt at the factory.

I went ahead and bought another Neptune, since I really do like how it functions as an alti and I like how the jumps are logged (compared to my pro-track). However, the newer one that I bought didn't even come with a metal mounting plate. It came with a heavier duty piece of webbing and little washers for the screws instead. Also, the "finger loop", "rubber band" or what ever you want to call the thing that you put your finger through is literally a 1/6 of the diameter of my "old" version Neptune. I honestly don't see how this will hold up very long and I do not have any faith in the webbing instead of metal bracketry. So it looks like I'm going to have to make a finger loop out of some 550 chord or old Spectre to give me a level of security I'm happy for my alti, and hope that the webbing "mounting plate" holds up. (The old one is in a box and gone, can't swipe them).

Basically although I've been happy with the product thus far, I was very unhappily surprised this week. I just really hope that other people aren't getting jipped with the crappy mounting hardware like I feel like I was.

I'll besure to update this thread with the outcome of my dealings with the company in getting my (4-month) "old and busted" Neptune repaired. I'm really hoping that they are as customer service orientated and motivated to help as L&B has proven to be time and time again!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The changes between your old and new one are the new features! I LOVE the thinner ring...sooo much more comfortable. And they found the metal plate wasn't necessary. I think the plate was causing cracking in some situations or something.

The cracked screen sucks, but I bet they'll replace it for free.

Saw a brand new neptune last weekend that was showing a high altitude while on the ground. I hit the "i'm on dz" feature to zero it out, and then realized that the temperature was showing -189 degrees, which would probably screw up the altitude measurement pretty good. They've got some issues, but as you know, they are great when they work correctly.

I ran into one thing today with mine. Realized that when I rode a plane down last weekend, it logged it as a jump (0 freefall). But I didn't delete it out of the logbook before jumping again. Can't find a way of deleting it out of there now. Anyone know if theres a way?

Dave

Ya need alittle wine with that chee.....:D

Come on Dave, you know they will replace it for free.
It's a new product and may still need something worked out?
Stick with the old diaphram altimeter and a log book if you dont want the headaches of the digital stuff breaking.:D
It will even come with a face you might like? (ie; upper left face) ;)

BTW, Mine works great, but I always have the bullet proof stuff just as a backup. ;)

Be safe.

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

However, the newer one that I bought didn't even come with a metal mounting plate. It came with a heavier duty piece of webbing and little washers for the screws instead. Also, the "finger loop", "rubber band" or what ever you want to call the thing that you put your finger through is literally a 1/6 of the diameter of my "old" version Neptune. I honestly don't see how this will hold up very long and I do not have any faith in the webbing instead of metal bracketry. So it looks like I'm going to have to make a finger loop out of some 550 chord or old Spectre to give me a level of security I'm happy for my alti, and hope that the webbing "mounting plate" holds up. (The old one is in a box and gone, can't swipe them).

Basically although I've been happy with the product thus far, I was very unhappily surprised this week. I just really hope that other people aren't getting jipped with the crappy mounting hardware like I feel like I was.

Dave, I was questioning the webbing mount vs. the metal bracket at first also, but after using it for 4 months, I'm convinced the webbing is far superior. Make sure you use the washers with it. Also, give the small o-ring mount a try, it is more comfortable, if you don't agree after some jumps, let me know and I'll send you one of the old style thick o-ring mounts.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Alti-2's customer service, they are very quick, and extremely helpful.

--
Hook high, flare on time

The changes between your old and new one are the new features! I LOVE the thinner ring...sooo much more comfortable.

You're kidding.

I think the thicker ring was much more comfy, then again, I have pretty large hands.

I think by "they found the metal plate wasn't necissary" means "they found that they could save $20 in producing them and they can tell people it wasn't necissary." Time will tell.

I was typing my previous reply while you were typing your reply it looks like...

Dave, I was questioning the webbing mount vs. the metal bracket at first also, but after using it for 4 months, I'm convinced the webbing is far superior

Well, that's two folks stating, so I guess I'll have to give it a chance, I'm truely not convenced though.

Also, give the small o-ring mount a try, it is more comfortable, if you don't agree after some jumps, let me know and I'll send you one of the old style thick o-ring mounts.

Yesterday I put 5 jumps on it and I was pretty unimpressed. Your offer to send me the old style is very class act, thank you very much for your offer. I think I'm going to just go ahead and make a new ring using some spare 550 I have...give it a custom look.:P

Contact Kat directly at Alti, she'll accomodate you individually and provide as much customer service as your used to with L&B.

Personally, I'm sticking with the hard Alti III and the ProTrack in me bonnet. If I can bang up the aluminum Alti III well, imagine my ability to tear up a Neptune. :D

Alti-2 has a new protective casing that they will have out soon. It easily slips over the neptune and works great so far. But dont tell them I told you about it,

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that one between you and me.:P

i never jumped a neptune, but from all the feedback i read at the dz.com, am i the only one who thinks they released it too fast ? patches for windows come in at slower pace ! :S

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

i never jumped a neptune, but from all the feedback i read at the dz.com, am i the only one who thinks they released it too fast

I'm sure some others share your view, but this has nothing to do with "software" patches (which there havent been any for some time, although there have been some feature releases). I've seen a screen crack because of a riser slap. I know plenty of people who've had screens on their protracks crack after dropping them. It's an LCD screen, they are easy to break if they get enough of an impact regardless of who manufactures the unit.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

. I've seen a screen crack because of a riser slap.

That's why I even reviewed the video from that jump (it was a tandem), no riser slap seen. So apparently it must have cracked due to the metal plate they sent me and my wrist strap being "too tight?"

If this was happening, I wonder why they didn't let folks know so they could switch to the webbing backing? Since apparently (and from an e-mail I recieved from the company), the company knew that it was causing screens to crack.[:/]

i never jumped a neptune, but from all the feedback i read at the dz.com, am i the only one who thinks they released it too fast

I'm sure some others share your view, but this has nothing to do with "software" patches (which there havent been any for some time, although there have been some feature releases). I've seen a screen crack because of a riser slap. I know plenty of people who've had screens on their protracks crack after dropping them. It's an LCD screen, they are easy to break if they get enough of an impact regardless of who manufactures the unit.

Blues,
Ian

i'm not referring to cracks or any other physical damage (by the way, many pro-tracks survived free fall drops). i'm talking about " the temperature was showing -189 degrees " kind of stuff. it just seems to be too raw to be released to general public. otherwise why would you have some many updates in such a short time ? to introduce new features ? or more likely to fix bugs ?

and i'm not starting neptune vs pro-track topic, i have my preference and reasons to stick to them. i rather speak in general about neptune. just seems to be too glitchy :) and i know you're happy with yours :)

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Stan,

Yep, there was definately an initial period where a myriad of bug fixes were released (the initial 1.x versions). Things have been stable since the 2.x versions where (besides some logging issues for hop n pops which protracks share) there haven't been any bugs that I've been aware of (although it's software so we both know it's likely there are), but the newer 2.x version have been introducing, or working on introducing, features requested by the community.

I have also seen the occasional hardware component failure (maybe the temperature sensor indication you refer to?) that have always been immediately replaced, without cost, by Alti-2.

Blues,
Ian

If this was happening, I wonder why they didn't let folks know so they could switch to the webbing backing? Since apparently (and from an e-mail I recieved from the company), the company knew that it was causing screens to crack.

Your local Altimaster Field Support rep should have been given several parts to make the conversion avaliable to you at no charge.

Stan,

Yep, there was definately an initial period where a myriad of bug fixes were released (the initial 1.x versions). Things have been stable since the 2.x versions where (besides some logging issues for hop n pops which protracks share) there haven't been any bugs that I've been aware of (although it's software so we both know it's likely there are), but the newer 2.x version have been introducing, or working on introducing, features requested by the community.

I have also seen the occasional hardware component failure (maybe the temperature sensor indication you refer to?) that have always been immediately replaced, without cost, by Alti-2.

Blues,
Ian

Ref: H&P's and logging issues................Neptune not logging the "entire" jump?

Ref: H&P's and logging issues................Neptune not logging the "entire" jump?

The only instances I've heard of that happening are when the user has the unit in manual mode, in which case it wont log the dive. Other than those cases, which aren't unit malfunction, I've not heard of it doing that. Of course that doesn't mean it hasn't happened :)
Blues,
Ian

Your local Altimaster Field Support rep should have been given several parts to make the conversion avaliable to you at no charge.

Apparently the field reps weren't made aware either, since I talked to my field rep about the differences in the two different Neptunes. He didn't know why they stopped using the metal plates.

So it still looks like there was a break down of communication from the Neptune folks.[:/]

I was wondering as my Neptune did not record one of two H & P's I made Saturday. I've never had that happen before...............I just changed the battery before going up.........hmmmmmmmmmm......would that have put it in manual mode?

Other than the above, I've never a problem with the Neptune. :)

I was wondering as my Neptune did not record one of two H & P's I made Saturday. I've never had that happen before...............I just changed the battery before going up.........hmmmmmmmmmm......would that have put it in manual mode?

Honestly I'm not sure. It certainly shouldn't have done so and if any jumps were recorded after that it's not likely it was in manual mode (although I'd check to be safe). Have you tried sending an email to alti-2? They may have some ideas on what could have caused it.

Let us know how it goes.

Blues,
Ian

Any of you guys using Neptunes, or even Pro Track heavy-duty jumpers? By that I mean 100-200 jumps a month? The guys at my dz are telling me both of these types of electronic units start getting wacked up at that level of use...
Remster

Honestly I'm not sure. It certainly shouldn't have done so and if any jumps were recorded after that it's not likely it was in manual mode (although I'd check to be safe). Have you tried sending an email to alti-2? They may have some ideas on what could have caused it.

Let us know how it goes.

Blues,
Ian

Alrighty.........didn't give it much thought until this thread. I'll see what they have to say........should be interesting.

Robert