johndoe345

Icon Containers- HELP

Negatives:
No Chest Rings.

Those can definately be ordered for the Icon when you buy it. It's an option that you didn't chose (it appears) so I don't think it's fair to make that a negative.

If it's comfortable without them, I don't see why it would even be a negative if they werent offered.

Dave

If it's comfortable without them, I don't see why it would even be a negative if they werent offered.

I agree, just $200 bling bling....save your money for jumping (or buying one of our fine parachutes)

it is super comfortable without, but due to popular demand we offer it with...
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

"Henri Pohjolaninen owner and designer of the Wings, Aided in the Original Javelin Design. (to what degree I have no idea)"

in a Finnish aviation magazine(Ilmailu, 2/94), it was said that in 1986 Henri (aka Hena) with Mike Furry started to develop a new harness/container what would be called Javelin,Henri concentrated on r&d and making test jumps, Mike was taking care of paperwork etc, in 1988 TSO was received.

But they had disagreements about how to proceed with the project, for example Mike was selling Javelin protoypes abroad before they had TSO, Henri didn´t like that, because it might ruin Javelin`s reputation....

so one morning in 1988 Henri went to work, to find out locks had been changed, and all the stuff had been taken..... in the end Derek Thomas bought Sun Path....

well, thats basically what the magazine said....

I got an Icon harness in December last year and have done about 350 jumps on it. I am very happy with it. It is extremely comfortable. The throw out deployment system seems as good as any other. Nice riser and toggle features. The cutaway and reserve (puff) handles are very solid and easy to use (even in a spinning mal).

It is important to get the reserve packed well to make the rig look great. I have seen that a standard pack job results in the riser covers coming open. Packed well it looks very smart. I had a problem with the leg straps slipping but that has been fixed now. I believe all new rigs are using the improved hardwear too.

The best thing for me though are the Aerodyne canopies. The Pilot 132 and the Smart 120 reserve are awesome. I have had the pleasure of using the reserve in Johannesburg, South Africa (at 5000ft above sea level on a hot windless day) the landing was perfect. Such great canopies!

From this forum I've gotten a couple of emails from the various content of posts, I really like getting the questions so pelase if you anything you read here ispires you to ask a question, that you don't necessarily feel benifits the forum, please feel free to email me directly.

However I have gotten two emails reference this subject:

- The rig material is softer than that of other containers. Im not sure how durable the material is. Only time will tell.

We use 1000 denier Cordura on all of our sport rigs. (unless you specify parapack, which is actually 420 denier pack cloth)

When we say Cordura, that is in reference to the Brand Dupont Cordura Plus, it is almost like saying klenex or Xerox, it has become the common brand term for Ballistic Nylon, or Textured Nylon.

There are literally hundreds of manufacturers of this fabric in the world. I would be willing to bet that no container manufacuter gets all their "Cordura" from a single supplier, as no one wants to have all their eggs in one basket, If Joe doesn't have purple, you want to know that Jim does.

Some of these nylons are made with the Dupont fabric, usually in the US, then they have imported stuff that may not be Dupont brand, and is sometimes equally as good or even performs better in the testing we do on the fabric.

We use Cordura Brand 1000 denier ballistic nylon on all of our sport containers. We get it from one general supplier, but sometimes use alternates. I would say that that in conjuncton with all the Ballistic inserts we use in our rig (anyone who has ever felt one will notice that there is stratigic reienforcements in the sidewalls and teh main riser covers) would make the rig quite durable.

For instance Relative Workshop excluesively uses 500 denier cordura in all of its sport rigs, which is made from yarn that is half the denier weight as the stuff most other coppanies in the industry use, however I have never seen any evedince that their material is in any way inferior.

in fact my boss man, Bushman would rather us build our rigs with the lighter material, however the main reason we don't is the availability of colors to us. RWS has been building rigs for 20+ years, and owns it's own rigging supplies company (parastock) so they have better buying power which allwos them greater flexibility in colors and fabric type.

even rigs made of the ultra lightweight "Parapak" which is only 420 denier seem to hold up quite well to the skydiving environment.

I would have to say that our rigs built with 1000 denier cordura will last, in terms of fabric degradation, on par with everything you see out there.

again email me with any questions, I would write down exactily what a denier is but I can't remember the exact measurement of the yarn they weigh to get it, maybe a super rigger out there can lay that out for us.

some denier weights commonly seen in skydivng:

parachute fabric= usually 30 denier

pack cloth (used for back pads and some times whole rigs) 420 denier, both Hi density and Low density, even as thin as 210 and 70 (not common in skydiving)

Cordura 500, 1000, 1050 (used for container bodies)
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

From Wikipedia:

Denier provides a scale for the heavyness (largely related to thickness) of fibres in a fabric. The higher the denier, the thicker the fiber. The denier value is defined as the mass in grams per 9000 meters of yarn. The unit is now mostly obsolete.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies