AndyMan

Javelin MLW adjustment inspection.

After the fatality in Miami, Sunpath issued a service bulletin requiring the inspection of the MLW Adjustment (when installed), before the next jump.

A copy of the service bulletin is here: http://www.sunpath.com/downloads/bulletins/sp02.pdf

What I found odd when reading it now, is that there is no requirement for ongoing inspection.

The MLW adjuster was to be inspected once after the issueance of the SB, but aparently never again....?

Are schools/owners/riggers required to include this type of maintenance in the inspection/repack cycle?

Since the SB didn't specify a reinspection cycle, is one implied by the standard I/R ?

Should one fail and there's no note of inspections since the original after the SB, could/would the rigger/owner be held responsible?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

What I found odd when reading it now, is that there is no requirement for ongoing inspection.

The MLW adjuster was to be inspected once after the issueance of the SB, but aparently never again....?

Are schools/owners/riggers required to include this type of maintenance in the inspection/repack cycle?

Since the SB didn't specify a reinspection cycle, is one implied by the standard I/R ?

Should one fail and there's no note of inspections since the original after the SB, could/would the rigger/owner be held responsible?

_Am

Rarely post- but have to respond to this one.

As a rigger, when I sign a packing data card, I'm saying that I've inspected the entire harness/container system and reserve parachute, and have deemed them airworthy.

Yes.

Yep. This is the HARNESS we're talking about. The HARNESS and the HARDWARE.

Not unless you have some criminally lazy riggers.
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL

Every time I repack a reserve, I pull ALL the harness adjusters to both extremes and inspect ALL the visible webbing.
I also look at ALL hardware for rust, sharp edges, etc.
A rigger cannot legally sign off an I&R with any less of an inspection.