Rstanley0312

Night jump questions......

i too think that 2 night jump should NOT be requirment for d license..
some people have horrible night depth perception and they really don't wanna risk having fucked up ankle..

I've personally have seen many people landing without any flair at all during night jump and that is scary..

and finally, good luck on your line twist followed by low cut away and now you are landing off in the dark.. have fun avoiding that fence at the last min...
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

yes, the moonrise varies - i bet there's a site out there with exact times for every place in the world - so for my next night jump i'll double and triple check. otoh: it can't be any darker than the night i mentioned :P

Dude, the particular rise/set times might vary a bit by lat/long, but it's simply physically impossible for a full moon to rise much later than sunset. There's no way it can rise in the middle of the night. It'd be a waning quarter-moon if it rose at that time.

If anyone's confused, this'll help...
http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonphase/
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

What a strange requirement to have to do 2 night jumps for your d licence.

That's what I thought, too. Maybe they felt they had to justify the "Master Skydiver" label they put on the D license.

That always embarrassed me. I didn't feel that I was a master skydiver then and I don't now.

The "Master skydiver" label was eliminated years ago.

Yeah, and years ago was when I got my "Master skydiver" license, back when you could get it with only 200 jumps in your logbook.

It's great for when the media show up at the DZ. I've seen "Master skydivers" whip out their d-license and impress the gullible newspaper reporters.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

That's what I thought, too. Maybe they felt they had to justify the "Master Skydiver" label they put on the D license.

That always embarrassed me. I didn't feel that I was a master skydiver then and I don't now.

Yeah, and years ago was when I got my "Master skydiver" license, back when you could get it with only 200 jumps in your logbook.

It's great for when the media show up at the DZ. I've seen "Master skydivers" whip out their d-license and impress the gullible newspaper reporters.

Now that is funny.... I have seen some D license holders in the air that scared the crap out of me. Many more of course that I was in awe of though. :P
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

The argument that I will be on a plane and it might all of the sudden be dark? Come on......... really?

Might sound dumb, but it happens. Last load of the day, you know it's going to be a little on the dark side by the time you land. Sun sets, clouds roll in, etc... and it's a whole lot darker than you expected. Good thing you were wearing a strobe!

I have no problem with the requirement, but I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense. Anyone with a B-license is trained for that unexpected dark jump. But I also am fine with the idea that every D-licensed jumper has actually demonstrated that they've done it. When you do find yourself landing after dark, it's nice to know the people in the air with you have done this before.

But I love night jumps. Last one was new year's day. Winter night jumps are nice because you can be done by 6:30. :)
Dave

Ditto! Many jumps & years before I did my official night jumps for my D-license, I was on a sunset load at a SoCal dropzone that I won't name but it was near the town of Perris ;) that I should have logged as my initial night jump. :$

Anyway, we used to do this thing at Cal City called "Night Iron Man" where we'd do clear and pulls from sunset until 1 a.m... as many hop-n-pops as one can, jump, slam pack, get back on the bird, repeat! It was a lot of fun.

I've also done a couple of night jumps at Apple Valley and Cal City that instead of waiting for the sun to go down at the end of the day, we'd just show up at like 3 a.m. and get a night jump in before the sun came up. Other then the ass pain of getting one's butt up and to the DZ that early, it was fun to do a night jump, pack, watch the sun come up and then continue jumping with the folks that showed up for that day's jumping... giving them shit, of course. B|

Every night jump, we offer people the option to use a variety of student gear for their night jump if they have ANY doubt in landing their own parachute. Every night jump (almost) people refuse and someone biffs in with a not-so-pleasant landing.

But the ones that do upsize 20-40 sq feet are often pleasantly surprised by the results. Myself included. I do all my night jumps now on a student Navigator 240-260. I do not have to care about my poor night vision as I have the tools to help overcome that.

So I COMPLETELY agree with the night jumps as a D license requirement. If you want to call yourself a 'master parachutist', then you oughta have the accolades to go with it.....

Bottom line is that there are options to having to land your Ferrari postage stamp canopy at night. Use them.

read my post above....upsize your canopy, it will hurt a lot less if you fuck up.

Thanks TK I like that train of thought!
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Since there are no specific jump requirements for the S&TA position, the requirement for the D license helps to ensure that a S&TA (who should be consulted before any night jumps) has at least minimal hands on experiance before giveing any.
"Stear clear of the terminally stupid!"

i too think that 2 night jump should NOT be requirment for d license..
some people have horrible night depth perception and they really don't wanna risk having fucked up ankle..

so what you are saying is that EVERYBODY should be able to have a D license ? Are you asking for a DOWN-LEVELMENT of the ratings ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Eliminated for future issue. My D still says "Expert." Which, by the way, included night and water jumps. ;)

>i too think that 2 night jump should NOT be requirment for d license..
>some people have horrible night depth perception and they really don't
>wanna risk having fucked up ankle..

That's fine. They can get a restricted D license, or not get one at all. Not everyone can do everything.

>I've personally have seen many people landing without any flair at
>all during night jump and that is scary..

Yep. Which indicates they have a little more to learn about night jumps.

I did mine. We'll see if I do any more. They were fun in free fall; not so fun under canopy for the many reasons including can't see other jumpers and the depth perception issue is a problem. Even though my 4 way funneled, we managed to get together (because I had so many light sticks attached to me as base) and I did hit the DZ and didn't land off so I considered mine a major success. If asked, I'll jump with newbies but I feel like I have one my night jumps and have no need to do more except to mentor newer jumpers.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

have fun ;-)
i only did 3 night jumps and from my limited experience and my friends' comments:
1. whatever you do, DO NOT look at the orange or green light in the aircraft before exiting - cause this is the only thing you will be seeing during your jump.
2. if you are doing a day jump prior to night jump at the same place, make sure that you watch the area on take off and you can orientate yourself with directions. My first two solos were easy, but hell - once I did a two way and tracked, had a feeling of being very lost.
3. glow sticks - people put them all over the place. On my load, I was the only one to put them on my cutaway and reserve handles. DId not use these, but hell, its good to be able to see.
4. Do not wear the sunglasses goggles (I heart of people complaining about lack of visibility).
5. If you land on the well lightened area - try avoiding landing on the edge of the dark and light. Gets very confusing.
6. have fun ;-)

On my load, I was the only one to put them on my cutaway and reserve handles.

The only one huh?

Interesting...;)

I guess putting one on the main hackey wouldn't be advantageous since ya can't SEE it anyway...BTW, did ya get the main out? :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~