ramon

Double finger trap

Why don't yo PM Nightjumper, he can explain it to you. It's not that hard.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I sat in on a rigger doing someones lower control lines in this fashion last week. After the second fingertrap (the locking one) the line was less than an 1/8 of an inch shorter. Not a big deal when doing lower control lines.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

This is an old sailor's trick, revived by Jump Shack.
This technique saves me several minutes ... because it eliminates hauling the canopy to the sewing machine.
We made a few soft links - from 1000 pound Spectra - and pull tested them until they broke at 1,500 pounds.

>It's quite easy actually.

How much longer do you have to plan on making the line? I assume the "knot" takes up a bit of line.

If it does take up any line, it is negligible (thickness of the line at the most?): the line doesn't back up on itself, it runs on with a little twist in the knot area.
Imagine a strand coming from the top. It sort of spirals through the hole and continues on to the bottom. (Wow, difficult to describe this in words... [:/])
Best to grab a piece of old line and give it a go.

Bart

Oops, just saw Johnny already answered this...

jerolim

Thanks, that site still works, but I don't find the instructions very clear. People who felt the same were complimentary about Sid's pictorial which is no longer available. So I wondered if anyone had a link to Sid's article.

Having said that from the later posts it seems you can take either side of the finger trap and thread it through itself as shown in the picture in your link, and pull until it inverts and you end up with a smooth line. But a visual confirmation of this would set my mind at ease :)
Rich M

henrik.anderson

Is there any problem doing this "double fingertrap" with any type of line, I have made it on Spectra line? Is it ok to do this on Vectran and Dacron too?
/HEnrik

In my experience it's easy to do .... but can be hard to 'un-do' without damaging the line. (Especially if it was done sloppily in the first place, going through line fibers.). On coated Spectra it's easier. On Dacron it can be a nightmare. Uncoated Spectra, like a PD reserve, also a nightmare. I have not done it on Vectran or HMA.

I've had to replace quite a few LST's/ toggle lines because of this practice. In my opinion it should never be done on a reserve (but always follow mf instructions, obviously.)

It's an ingenoius technique. I love it for adjusting PC kill lines in a hurry.
But, for me it's too hard undo without damaging the line to use it for toggles. Why not just use a fingertrap, then a knot?

I'd honestly rather pick bartack stitches than undo a double fingertrap.