skipro101

Custom made rig doesnt work right

Yeah, yeah, and I'd suggest a Wings. :P

Whatever you do, get yourself measured by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Folks like Bonnie and JP have lots of experience with lots of manufacturer's and know from experience how to fix these problems.

For example, if Bonnie measures you for a rig, it gets shipped to her and usually you are gonna try it on right in the store when you get it. She (or whatever store you are working through) will check the fit and finish and hopefully give you the big thumbs-up to go jump it. But, if something's wrong, they'll get it back in the box and on the way ASAP.

Funny, when I was at TonySuits in April I was present when Tony measured several people. He didn't say the inch measurements out loud when he took them. I think that's kind of important, cause pants-size is not waist size. Let someone else measure you.

I got Skybitch to measure me when I was down in Perris for my new rigs and they fit freaking GREAT!

Well, thing is, I ordered this when I was about a month into my skydiving career.

I was completely ignorant.

When I got the conatianer, the dealer had me try it on and said "welp, does it fit?" It felt fine to me, so I sad yes.

As far as I was concerned, I had a rig that fit all winter, it was only untill i jumped it this spring that I found out it wasnt right.

On the ground it looks fine, when I try and pull the container away from my back, it does not come off.

Somehow, it shifts in ff so that it does come off my back.

This is a sore spot for me, its incredibly frustrating.

As a newbie, I had no idea what to look for/expect/check for when recieving a system, and the source of info that I was supposed to go after..the dealer...did not provide the information.

I guess i got midly screwed.

As far as not ordering a voodoo, all i can say is WHATEVER. God its so frustrating, everywhere I turn I hear, dont buy from this manufacter, then another person, "buy from that manufactere" or this manufacter is bad because they had qc issues then another reputable source will say the opposite, or fly WL according to manufacter suggestions..then a week later.. oh but dont fly atair canopies according to manufacteres suggestions because they are trying to kill you..then from a st&A, bah..youll be fine...

BLA BLA BLA. It seems no one knows what they are talking about. its all subjective.

Seriously, I appreciate the info about the ill fitting voodoos, but please understand that im going to ignore it. I ordered a mirage and it doesnt fit..

I will say that rigginginnovations doesnt have very many measurements on their form...which concerned me...but this time im going to get checked out by someone I know and trust, so we can make sure it fits.

Ugghh, its quite frustrating, ive gotten very bad info from dealers, dzos, and jumpers. Everyone in the system..even the manufacturers. Who is a newbie to trust?

Honestly right now im just down to trial and error. its the only thing that I know will eventually get me to where i want to be. Ill order the voodoo.

If that new rig doesnt fit, im flying myself out to eloy to get it right!

Flights from Cleveland are cheaper to Orlando or to Cali then to Phx last I looked :P If you want the most comfortable harness ever.. look at a Racer 2k3. *never thought I'd recommend a Racer :o*

Welcome to the world of skydiving. Everyone says their stuff is the best and everyone else sucks. Before you plunk any money down on ANY gear I recommend calling the manufactor, asking some questions. Ask them about their service, about their QC, about their gear and why should you chose to spend your money with them instead of anyone else.
For containers ask what they would charge to rebuild a harness if it gets cut off, ask them for color swatches, ask about resizing of harnesses, ask about what steps and how far are they willing to go to keep you a satisified jumper after the sale if something is wrong. For canopies ask them if they do relines in house, ask them about a defect replacement policy, ask if the canopies are lazer cut or hot knifed, ask about QC levels on reserves. Ask if they have demo reserves (better companies do) for you to try as a main, ask about repair prices. In talking to the company you will quickly determine how far some companies will go to keep you happy after the sale.

For example...

One canopy manufactor does'nt do relines, they outsource them a rigger. They will ship you a line set, but they perfer for you to install it your self since they are not a full service factory. They send repairs off to the same rigger for all repair work too.

Another manufactor has reps that travel around and hand out cards of people in their service department that you can call to have issues addressed directly at the factory. They will put their test jumpers under your canopy if you say its opening wrong just to try and identify the problem for you. They reline canopies right infront of tours of their factory.

One container manufactor would not respond to my phone calls or emails for info on a used container I was looking to buy. I called and was told to email and they would get back to me. They got back to me about 2 weeks later. Called another company up, gave them the serial # and had all the history of the container and its sizing 10 minutes later.

You need to seek out the questions and the answers before making decisions in this sport. All the marketing info is just that... marketing and should be taken with the largest grain of sand possible. Want to find how good a product is? Find people that dislike it and find their reasons.. if the reasons are good enough then you have your answers. If the answers are "because so-and-so said so..." ignore that person.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have never seen a rig that fits perfectly on the ground but some how magicly fits like crap in the air. My opinion is either that when you tried it on the dealer did not notice it was fit improperly, or you may be wearing it wrong.

Can you post some close-ups of the harnes on your body?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm no mirage fan, but they are clearly reputable rigs. Your rig doesn't fit quite right... it's not the end of the world. I can't believe you're considering going and buying another brand new rig. Suck it up, pay for the resize (or scream at them on the phone till they agree to do it for free), or get a belly band if people say that'll work. In 100 more jumps, when you have figured out how much mirages and voodoos suck (:P), sell it and buy what you want at that point.

Ok voodoos probably dont suck but they are so incredibly ugly. Take a close look at a voodoo if oyu haven't had the chance. They just look like crap. The "cat's eye" or whatever you wanna call it looks like it was just slapped on. Looks stupid to me. I mean, who cares about functionality, right? :)
Dave

mmmm, any chance your dealer botched the measurements and is reluctant to own up to it? Or maybe they're just unaware that the rig doesn't fit you well? A reputable dealer should be able to help you some in this area.

Have the dealer call Mirage on your behalf. Justin and his staff have bent over backwards to make sure that we, and our customers, are happy with their gear and service.

In any case, I'd go for the harness rebuild over a new voodoo. It will take the same amount of time or less, and a Mirage is a far, far better rig, IMHO. plus, you won't come close to breaking even on your Mirage when you sell it, even only slightly used.

Good luck!

-Betsy

Well thats nice that they bent over backwards for you, but they wont for me. Its past the 90 day limit by 3 or 4 months. They are quick to offer a fix, but of course it will be several hundred dollars.

Anyway, ive already sold the rig.

What makes you say the mirage is a "far far" better rig than the voodoo? And please only give facts.

Thanks for the imput and replies people. But those comments like "mirage is a far beter rig" without any objective info to back it up, is exactly what I was whining about earlier on this thread....everyone throws out their opinion to new people for subjective reasons..or at least dont take the time to make the objective reasons known...which leads people like me to just file those commments in the back of my head and ignore them. Sorry about that.

I got the mirage for a very good deal when i bought it new, and I just sold it for 100 less than I paid. I would say thats pretty close. I can get a new voodo with stainless, PD reserve, and a Custom new canopy (the hornet in my old rig wasnt custom, just new) for the same amt that I paid for the mirage.

Anyway, mirage is a good company and every time that I have delt with them they have been top notch..overnighting risers and other stuff like that...

Im not displeased with mirage, .....its just I know there is now one more reason that newbies should wait to get new gear: So they know what the heck is going on.

Regardless, I have heard awesome things about voodoos comfort and it is tsod to the new stanard...which is higher than mirages tso i belive..

its also got a kick butt shape...instead of some cheesewedge brick on your back you get a contoured tapered rig.

so its confortable and strong...and im going to make sure it fits or fly out to eloy and get it right...So whats wrong with that? What more could I want? No, it doesnt cost more than 2k with all options and its not endorsed by (enter skygod name here)...must be crappy:S

If you do have some facts about why a mirage is better than a voodoo...id love to hear it...I havent ordered yet......:)

Regardless, I have heard awesome things about voodoos comfort

Have you tried one on? Jumped one? If not then you're making this decision on the same basis you made your first decision - other people's opinions.

Regardless which rig you order this time, do yourself and the manufacturer a favor and jump it within a week or so of getting it... just in case. :S

hehe I plan on jumping it right away!

Fortunately this will get here before winter :}.

Yea, I would love to jump one. But try and find someone with a voodoo up here in ohio..there arent even any dealers up here....let alone finding one thats big enough to fit a 6'2 210lb guy...

Anyway, I will, for sure, jump whatever rig i get asap and consult with manufacter about the fit. Will be easy now that im A licensed and its summer...

Thanks

Just a warning the Voodoos are only sized at a max of 176 for the Reserve and 170 on the main. If you try and go larger on the main they look like a pregnant guppy and smaller makes the fabric wrinkle and crease in my experiences. There was a Voodoo V3 at the DZ and it was overstuffed by 1 size and looked ugly as sin.

RI just never made the push to be a national distrubator like other companies have. They are popular local to thier factory but less so the further away you get.

Just since its summer now does'nt mean it'll be summer when the rig gets here. Some manufactors are at a 8-10 week delay, others are still 18+ weeks. You are look at September - November as possible delivery dates. Thats about the time the season is getting iffy in the midwest and all the turbines leave us and head south for the winter.

I hope you did'nt sell your rig before you got another container to jump... :|
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

i just might go with RWS. Of course they have a rep for not being as confortable as other rigs

That too is a subjective statement...i jump a VIII micron and love the way it fits....each person is built different then the next. Each rig will be different, you need to find what is comfortable for YOU.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

THing is, if i manage to find someone with a rig that is what i want to demo, and even someone who is somewhat my size..its not going to be made for me...so i might hink that rig is unconfortable when in fact its just that it isnt sized for me.

Anyway, voodoo says 6-8 weeks. Thats end of august.

I find it strange that you've complained about people giving their opinions without solid reasoning, and yet you're choosing your replacement container based solely on those same opinions.

The people I know who've demoed various containers while deciding which was the right one for them are the people I know who are happiest with what they ended up buying.

You're in Ohio, right? How far are you from Rantoul? A weekend - heck, even a DAY - at WFFC would give you an opportunity to do the same if you can't jump what you're interested in at your home dz.

6 weeks from this week is end August. 8 weeks from this week is mid September. Don't forget to add shipping time to that too; that adds another week if you aren't willing to pop for express shipping.

Go with what makes you happy.

Oh and the last 3 RI products I've ordered this year? 10 weeks was the soonest. 16 weeks was the longest.

The sizes larger than 135 are a bit dificult for many riggers to get looking nice.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Can you come to Rantoul? I'll look at your rig with you, if you like. Also, all the major manufacturers will be there. If you want a neutral gear consultation and help rectifying your current situation, look me up in my booth.

Chances are there is a cheaper and faster solution to your issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!