flighty

Ash dive bag?

Has anyone here made an ash dive bag?
How did you put it together? How well did it work?

~Cindy~
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Spelling and grammar errors are left as an exercise for the reader.

I have made several and unfortunately I have used them as well. I have done a total of 4 ashes jumps and all with my bags and all successfully. The basic construction is very simple, I made it from 2 seperate peices of cordura approx 12 inches by 12 inches squared With the bottom and 2/3 of the sides sewed together. The other 1/3 of the sides and top of the bag is velcro (2 inch) for security I then put 3 handles on the bag one on the bottom and 1 on either side on the top of the bag. One is for me and the other is for the other person releasing the ashes.
The trick is to fold the bag in 1/2 and have the bottom handle and the top at the same time with your hand you plan on presenting, once the other person flies up and docks on you he then uses his out side hand to grab his handle which you present to him. Whenever you are ready with a firm dock, use your outside hand to secure your top handle which you release with your presentation hand, use the outside hands in the loops to pull apart and fooom! It is an amazing site which can easily be seen from the ground even from 10,000 ft.
On a calm day the ashes can be seen for up to 10 minutes after as a soft cloud.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1067024#1067024

Has pics of the ash bag we made. I posted descriptive stuff in that thread also about the dive.

We put rose petals in the bag also, which the father grew as a hobby (they were beautiful). We had so much extra, that we brought a bag of them up to release on a 1000 foot pass.

At 1000 feet, the door went open, and the plastic bags were ripped open. Holy Moley, those petals flew around the cabin like a tornado. Obviously we didn't think that one through very well. But it was so dang funny that it made everyone laugh at a time when we were pensive and sad.

j

I did an ashes dive about a year ago and the bag I used (borrowed) worked excellent. It looks like a small freefly tube with a ring and handle at one end. It was about 5 ft long and about 6 in. around. I folded the ring over a couple times to close one end then poured the ashes in and folded it to the top to make a tight package. Then I put a couple rubber bands around it with pull-up cords tied to them. In freefall you pull off the rubber bands and hold onto the handle. It opnes just like a freefly tube and all the ashes go out the top. It looked spectacular from the ground and since everything goes out the top it keeps you from getting a faceful of ashes. Best ahses bag I've ever seen or used!