quiksilver33

helmet ?

Call me naive...call me ignorant. I am very new to this sport and have what most people will think is a STUPID question, but I gotta know. Why exactly do we have to wear helmets? All I can find is that it's mandatory to have one... Does something say we don't have to wear it, or not say we do? I've been a motorcycle freak for about 20 years, and that brings up a whole different argument. But at least it makes sense to wear one doing something like that. I don't really see any point to wearing one while skydiving, on the plane or in the air, unless, like with motorcycles you use GOOD judgement, and use one for RW or something. With the one I wore for my tandem I might as well have not had one. I am a private pilot too and have NEVER worn a helmet on a plane.
- It's not called showing off, it's called you being mad because you can't do it! - We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

In the plane for take-off and landing in case of a hard/crash landing.

On exit. Lot of people leave a little flesh behind on the door or fuselage as they exit without a helmet.

In Freefall remember you are going 120 - 150 MPH. Small bumps into your friends don't feel like much when wearing a helmet, but that foot to the head, altimeter upside the head, etc.... well is a little less comfortable without a helmet. And trust me, as you start to jump with more and more people, you'll find quite a bit of banging around.

Under canopy, in case of a canopy collission.

Landing. Well. Haven't you seen the way some landings go yet?

I used to jump without a helmet for about 500 jumps.

After getting knocked out TWICE and loosing a little skin atop my dome and bearing witness to some very unfortuanate accidents, I now choose to wear a helmet on every jump.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

A friend of mine had a spectacularly bad landing on a gravel road. The side of his full face helmet was seriously scraped up. It's safe to say he would've had to visit a plastic surgeon after that landing if he hadn't worn a helmet...

Cool...thanks GravityGirl. So what are the actual FAA requirements for helmets? I can't find anything on this. And no, I have not seen any "rough" landings or anything yet (knockin on wood). My tandem was smooth and my first AFF was picture-perfect, though I know they won't ALL be like that. If I didn't have another surgery a week after my first jumps I would probably have at least 10 by now and have a little more experience to learn through.
- It's not called showing off, it's called you being mad because you can't do it! - We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

i think that the requirements in the US for helmets say that you have to wear one while on student status. after you get your A though, its up to the DZ rules. my home DZ for example, has you wear a hard helmet till you have 50 jumps.

MB 3528, RB 1182

The BSRs state that a student (aka a non licensed jumper) must always be equipped with a helmet.

You wore one on your tandem to prevent your head from hitting the plane door getting in, out, etc. It also protected your tandem master from getting a head butt to his/her chin.

Every once in a while I'll check out all of the marks and paint chips on my helmet from riser slap, the expected RW contact, and air debris. It makes me appreciate my helmet all the more.

"What's the point of wearing a helmet when you skydive? If that parachute doesn't open, that helmet is now wearing YOU for protection."- Jerry Seinfeld

Awesome, thank you all, my question is answered...I think. Now I just have to find these U.S. "requirements". As soon as I can go jump again I'll ask around the DZ, I'm sure they have all that stuff.

Cool...thanks GravityGirl. So what are the actual FAA requirements for helmets?

None. There is no Federal U.S. law requiring helmets.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

... loving students slamming my head into the door frame ... if you had seen some of my freefall collisions ... I like being awake at pull time ... too F***ING LOUD without a helmet .... a convenient place to hang my Dytter .... a tandem riser slap almost tearing Steve's ear off ... if you had seen some of my PLFs ... the list goes on .....

I mean, it doesn't have to be "rated" for skydiving or anything, right?

It doesn't have to be rated for skydiving but many helmets have snag hazards and wouldn't be the best choice for skydiving.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.