Dale1980

Static Line Newbie Advice

Hi,

So... I finally got around to booking my Static Line RAPS for November. I love pushing myself to the limit, I've already completed a tandem a good few years ago, and I've done a couple of bungee jumps previously.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice for the nerves of someone just starting out really!?

Thanks

Stay hydrated and fed. Make sure you eat and drink. Not a lot, but something.

Wear comfortable clothes that you can get dirty. They may have you roll around on the ground a bit (teaching proper arch, PLFs ect.)

Pay attention in class. Once you let go of the plane, you are on your own. You may have some assistance (radio or other), but you need to do the necessary things to get down safely.

Have fun. It's going to be scary, but that's part of the adventure. Don't forget to enjoy it.

DO NOT under any circumstances say "But they said on DZ.com to..."
Seriously, listen to your instructors.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I did my first jump course a little over a month ago, so I know this feeling all too well!

Deep breathing on the plane really helps. I close my eyes and breathe. Also, I find chewing gum helps too. Chewing gum actually helps reduce anxiety. Plus, if you stick to the same flavour, it gets your mind ready to go. (Juicy Fruit gum, to me = TIME TO FLY. B| ) https://greatist.com/happiness/does-chewing-gum-reduce-anxiety

But really, you will find what works best for you. It is natural to be nervous. But after you land after the first jump you will be so elated and ready to go back up. Have fun! Let us know how it goes!

timski

save that static line shit for the AIRBORNE soldiers! Go AFF :D

Both are viable ways to learn. They just get you there in slightly different ways, at somewhat different costs.

I do have to say, however, that I've never seen a S/L student doing a H&P at 5500, standing in the door. scared and saying "it's so low."

:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***save that static line shit for the AIRBORNE soldiers! Go AFF :D

Both are viable ways to learn. They just get you there in slightly different ways, at somewhat different costs.

I do have to say, however, that I've never seen a S/L student doing a H&P at 5500, standing in the door. scared and saying "it's so low."

:P

Right??? I did the progressive course (IAD, working my way up to the 10000 ft jumps). I graduated around the same time as a couple AFF students. (i did more jumps, more often). When they had to do their H&P for their last jumped they were SO scared.

I understand there are different learning styles, but I'm glad I chose the IAD/progressive method. It gave me more jumps to work on my landings and canopy skills and I am more comfortable at lower altitudes. We all got the same license in the end, but I am glad I got more experience with canopy and landings by having more jumps before getting my license.

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll definitely try the chewing gum trick! Anything that helps is worth trying!

I did think about doing AFF for ages, but here in UK its just so much more expensive to go down the AFF route, it works out being about $900 cheaper to go RAPS.

Im in no massive rush either, and i think it'll be easier to learn the skills with RAPS rather than AFF. I've still got a few weeks to go yet until ground school and my first RAPS jump. Im just hoping for good weather! (Something that is a rarity in the UK) ;)

Some of the current world record holders came up on static line. At least you won't be scared out of your mind when it comes time to do a hop n' pop.

My advice is (listen to your instructors of course) and after that visualize. Visualize your jump as often as you feel like. Visualizing activates some of the same electrical signals in the brain as the actual activity and it, at least to some degree, familiarizes you with the dive flow.

Oh and talk to as many people at your DZ as possible. Cheers :-)

...Don't Get Elimated!!

where are you jumping?

a mate of mine really struggled with RAPS and didnt progress pass the 3 dummy pulls even after 15 jumps, he eventually switched to AFF 2 months ago and is now qualified with FS1.

if you find it's not for you then consider AFF

good luck

Learn about and understand the parachute and how it works. You will depend on it, but very important, knowing you can trust it will/should help you not to worry so much.

Learn and understand canopy flight so you have no doubt about how to carry out the process of flying and landing it. You might not have experience, but you can have the knowledge, even on the first jump. The book The Parachute And It's Pilot is a good background book. But as said before, learn from your instructors.

If you are confident in the equipment and the one flying the parachute, there is much less to be nervous about.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

davenuk

where are you jumping?

a mate of mine really struggled with RAPS and didnt progress pass the 3 dummy pulls even after 15 jumps, he eventually switched to AFF 2 months ago and is now qualified with FS1.

if you find it's not for you then consider AFF

good luck

That's more of an indictment on his instructors than him.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Since you haven't started yet, you don't really know yet how your nerves will be once you're getting geared up, boarding, climbing to altitude, at the door, etc.

So, don't psych yourself out ahead of time. You may experience all, or even just some of these as a huge rush but not necessarily as a huge source of fear, anxiety, etc. Wait & see :-)

And even if it is the latter, remember that the intensity of those feelings generally decreases as your jump numbers increase. There may even come a time when you miss that intensity. It's one of the main reasons a lot of us came to the sport in the first place!

So, let the process unfold & don't over-think it. I'm a 50 jump wonder, so clearly, I know whereof I speak ;-)