mkaminski6

How to get over door fear! Horrible 1st AFF experience!

So two years ago I started my journey into obtaining my AFF. My first jump was a horrible experience, I lost both instructors upon exiting the door, spun head over heels for what felt like ever (probably only 15 seconds) before an instructor was able to dive in and pull my chute. I lost my radio headset in all the flipping and landed a few fields away from the DZ. I went back for 5 jumps after, and each time couldn't even get out the door after imagining a retake of my first jump. I'm not afraid of heights, I've been flying power paragliders all summer long and have no issues with the kiting, its just the fear of exiting again and loosing complete control. Couple that with the fear of the instructor not being able to make it to me to deploy my chute. Any positive encouraging words for a newbie looking to try once again to get into the sport?

Practice your exit on the ground with your instructors. On the ride to altitude, take deep breaths to help keep yourself calm and relaxed. Multiple times on the ride up, visualize the entire skydive going exactly as planned. And I mean the entire skydive, from starting your setup in the door to landing safely. Smile and have fun.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thanks for the reply! I did tunnel time two years ago. It's difficult for me as I had to book a ticket to Chicago, fly out grab a rental car, drive to the tunnel, spent 20 minutes tunnel time and flew home same day.

The tunnel time didn't seem to help me at all. I only did one solo jump, which again went horrible. I rode up five more times but had to ride down each time as I could not get myself to exit the door.

I think the noise, and my suit flapping in the wind had a lot to attribute to it. And the fear of just loosing control and the instructors on the ride down.

Try your best to relax....
Do not think of things in terms of "Jumping Out a Door "....;)
Instead look at it in terms of "Jumping IN a Door " ..B| A Door to Freefall..... You Will have the proper gear,, pay attention to your instructors as they gear check you and RE-Assure you...prior to boarding and then Trust to working together as a team from climb-out , through the skydive, to a correct and timely deployment and then a safe and coordinated canopy flight,,, to a successful landing...Keep us posted...
You Can do this...good luck.... :)
jmyt

Well I cancelled my class for Sunday. Can't get myself to do it quite yet. Going to make a 8k trip up on the power paraglider tomorrow to get myself more comfortable with the altitude (I've been flying around 3k for the most part). I also started obtaining my PPL this summer and have been flying a Cessna 152.

I just don't get it, I'm okay with heights. It's just the damn noise I think that keeps doing it! And thinking back to that first jump I did. Hell I even did a tandem a few weeks after riding down a few times. The tandem was as terrifying as my original jump. All I kept picturing when kneeling in the door w/ my tandem partner was my first flight and spinning in circles with no one around me!

Is it common for instructors to let go of a student when they go into a uncontrolled spin? I was told they had to let go of me, I guess something about hearing someone say they HAD to let go of me just keeps resonating in my head as well.

I think I'm doomed. [/rant].

Hi. So just a couple things. Most of what has been posted is all good advice. No it is not common for instructors to "let go" of a student. I dont have my AFFI but do have my coach rating and work for a big dropzone in So Cal and dont remember instructors being taught to let go when you get out of control(except extreme situations), they are there to help maintain control, remind of your tasks, and deploy for you IF necessary. Most experienced instructors can stay with you or get back to you if you get out of control and they loose or drop the grip in order to rite themselves if you and the instructor are flipping/tumbling. Have confidence that even in the worse scenario of loosing both instructors,relax,arch,wave off and deploy. Have a little confidence that if you dont deploy and the instructors are not there your student gear should have an AAD. Trust your training, trust the instructors, trust yourself, and knowing there are safety devices that are in place, might help you relax. Try not to keep focusing on your first jump. Learn from it and try to imagine your next jump going positive. Hope you get back up there. BS

A wanna be tunnel rats perspective - U said - "I think the noise, and my suit flapping in the wind had a lot to attribute to it. And the fear of just loosing control and the instructors on the ride down. "

Maybe a lot more tunnel time (6 Hours or more - whatever it takes) until U can transition (barrel rolls and head up transition flips from belly to back) comfortably so that U know for sure that U can get into a safe pull position on your own if necessary.

Truth in advertising - I haven't ever jumped out of a plane - only into a tunnel.

I'd love to spend more tunnel time! I spent about 8 hrs travel time last time to only spend 10 minutes in the tunnel. Maybe a bit more time would be what I need? You've exactly hit the nail on the head , my fear is that if I exit and I begin to spin or flip that we will not be able to recover. I am not flexible in the least so arching for me is very difficult! The closest wind tunnel to Cleveland Ohio is in Chicago which is a 2 hr wait in an airport, 40 min flight, and then a 40min drive from airport to tunnel!

I originally thought I needed to build my physical strength up for longer tunnel flying periods. I was wrong - what I needed was more flexibility (e.g. back arch). Googled back bends etc. training on youtube. I was surprised to learn there are 3 areas of the body included in arching the back - vertebrae from neck to hips, shoulders, and something called leg tensors. I worked on those 3 areas and improved my arch a lot.

Watch tunnel videos of how the "instructors" in tunnels fly - they don't usually have real deep arches and fly mantis position that reduces stress on shoulders and reduce muscle strain allowing one to fly for longer periods without fatigue that limits one's ability to learn in any environment - it also sounded like your trip to a tunnel probably had U stressed out b4 U got there which doesn't help.

Look for deals, discounts and league clubs to make tunnel flight more affordable. Some folks go to Europe or Russia to fly mucho hours with coaching at very reduced rates with hostels in or near the tunnel.

Might be worth a week or more trip if possible to tunnel fly longer and repeatedly to expedite learning and for a more relaxed experience and remember tunnel flying skills rely on currency the same as skydiving does.

Both of these sports are fantastically fun and joy filled but do require a higher than average level of commitment.