taintstick

Newbie from TEXAS!!

Well everyone, has been such a privilege to read through all the great info on here! I have done one tandem jump and was hooooked!! Since, I have been awaiting the day I can go for my AFF. The day is next month! Have been speaking with a few different people around the Austin San Marcos area. Have not made my decision with who to go with. Probably going to be Rush Cube at an airfield named Luling Airport. Have not set deposits because I don't know anything about Rush Cube. Looking for all info that I can get and some great advice on other places!
Thanks for taking the time to read, cannot wait to join you all in the air!!

I have no idea what Rush Cube is. But you can easily get ahold of Lonestar or San Marcos with an easy google search.

Skydive Lonestar and Skydive San Marcos are both good dropzones.

Skydive Lonestar has a Experienced Jumper facebook page where you can get in touch with Molly and TJ (owners) or Joe (manager)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/284285811728944/

Nice!! Thanks for the deets, unfortunately I do not have any form of social media. Only social media I have is a Ford Ranger forum, reefers forum and this haha I was in contact with a lady by the name of Rachel. Assuming she is the booking person. Going to be a heck of a weekend, lake Travis parasailing and then off to AFF courses.

From the DZs you mentioned, I only know Skydive San Marcos. Not being able to comment on the others, this is a dropzone which I happily would suggest to anyone who wants to start jumping.
Generally - drive to all of them, talk to the People - especially the instructors - and make up your mind also based on the Impression they leave on you.

enjoy the ride!
M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Well, Rush Cube is just Thrill Planet, which is Skyride again.

"Booking Agency" is generous. Ripoff is more like it.
Search around and you can find out more.

Lonestar is decent place. It's the sister DZ to my home, Skydive Midwest. They get "our" Otter in winter. Good people.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

taintstick

Thanks!! Haha I am confident I will fit in just fine... I plan on doing it all, and I hope to have plenty of jumps in before my trip to Cali!!

Nice, I live in San Diego and I've been in Austin for a week. Never brought my gear because the weather looked horrible in San Marcos and I was at reggae fest all weekend (not a fan but my cousin had backstage tickets etc). They also had planned maintenance on the caravan so I didn't wanna bring all of that for nothing.

If you're out in SoCal and pass AFF, come on down!
No farting on the plane!

Taintstick and skydiveuranus, perfect pair!! lol I will actually be getting my truck built at BTF in Upland. Oceanside is on my have to list when I go. I'm planning end of October. I sure hope the weather cooperates... forecast shows Sunday Monday and Tuesday will be good, but this weather in Texas kinda sucks. You will have to point me in the direction of some good spots to check out in SoCal!

Perfect pair, I thought the same thing haha. You need a B license for Oceanside, if you have the money and time you can get that easily by then. Otherwise I would suggest coming by Skydive San Diego, or Elsinore. (you have to land in the dirt at Perris until you get 100 jumps and B license)
Until then, arch your ass off for AFF! And make sure you focus on a heading for AFF 3 (or whichever one it is for you when both instructors let go and you hold it) That's the only one I had to redo
No farting on the plane!

I'll do my best, just waiting on the next bonus to come in and that will be for the rest of my jumps. For now, yea I've been doing lots of research on ways to control and all that good stuff. I'm more worried about landing in the right place lol for some reason I can't get a hold of South Padres skydiving place. I know they do tandems, but I wonder if they let students go... it's only an hour from me so that would be sweet. Like I said, point me in the right direction and maybe join me and go have a day of skydiving!! Maybe we can get some more people together... by the way, thanks for the idea of farting on the plane! Haha

Don't book with a 3rd party like Rush Cube or 1-800-Skydive or whatever. Just go through one of the dropzone's in the Austin area. Skydive San Marcos has really nice facilities, Skydive Temple isn't quite as nice but is still an option. There's also Lonestar, but I haven't been there before. A fourth option is Texas Skydiving in Lexington, but I don't think I'd recommend them. They were involved in a sort of sketchy student fatality in recent years, so I'd avoid them.

megamalfunction

What is Rush Cube?

Just an overpriced booking agency, wanted to charge me $1700, but instead I booked directly with Lonestar for $1400. $300 just to book me, that's crazy.
I am headed to Lake Travis for a meeting and retreat tomorrow, then off to the course Sunday at 8am. I'm so excited!! Been doing so much research and watching videos, I think fear has completely left me. It's all about thrill and excitement now! Aaaand a little patience haha

So just a little info, I made it to my 3rd jump. Winds were not on my side haha landed off the DZ on my last jump and was a little stiff up in the air. Failed haha. No worries, just means another jump in. Since I was only in town for a bit, I couldn't get any more jumps in. I'll have to wait a month to go back. Plans are to visit the wind tunnel before and get some practice in. I want to nail my license lol. Dang Texas weather!