pushykat

Gday

Hi Guys. Just saying a quick "Gday mate" from australia. Tacky I know... but looking for some advice from all you fantastic experienced jumpers. I have only done 3 tandem jumps however want to complete my accelerated freefall course in the next few months. I self evaluated my self awareness during the free fall on my last tandem jump, to see if i could be rational and I think I need to chill out a bit more. Any ideas on how to become a bit less fluttery freaky as you prepare to jump? Is there anything you guys did that sort of centered you? I was thinking of maybe bungy jumping to practise - at least I have to 'throw myself' off something and could practise my body position? Thanks in advance for any insight or advice. Cheers :)
Dad... so proud of you for having no hesitation and jumping with me. Proud daughter of a vietnam vet with ptsd!

Hi mate

I have 1300 jumps

The feeling your experiencing is what we all experienced irregardless of gender or experience.

It's what keeps us alive.

Have you looked at the incident forum. Read that forum, it was written in blood. Don't do what they did.

I hope you got lot's of money, jumping is a money pit, and you have to stay current.

Be well, don't worry be happy, jump until you puke

R
One Jump Wonder

pushykat

I was thinking of maybe bungy jumping to practise - at least I have to 'throw myself' off something and could practise my body position?

I, for one, shat myself more doing a bungee jump than on my first skydive.

I'm newly licensed, i'm sure more experienced folk will contribute more, but i think comparing leaping off of a stationary crane/bridge platform as opposed to leaping out of a plane going anywhere between 80 - 100mph would be a big difference.

With a bungee you're going to get dead air, and won't have enough air resistance to form a good arch position, plus i doubt they'd let you exit the bungee sideways, as you'd probably do on your first AFF level in how they normally position you in the aircraft.

Either way, we've all been there! i'm less nervous now compared to when i was a student, but it's all part of that experience, if you didn't have the nerves, that wouldn't be normal :)

Hey mate! Thanks for the reply. Glad to know that my gut feeling isn't just me being a pussy. I have started reading the incident forum and talking to my local blokes about stuff that went wrong. Wow, learning stuff - that when things go wrong they bloody do. One of my experienced mates here said to me, listen to your instructors (hell yeh i respect them and I want to suck up their knowledge like a sea sponge) never get cocky toniya, thats when u don't pay attention, make a silly choice and there is only 3 options then - A - cut the main without trying to fix it. B - the reserve. C - well there isn't one. Thanks again Krip! :)

Dad... so proud of you for having no hesitation and jumping with me. Proud daughter of a vietnam vet with ptsd!

Thanks heaps mate. U have reinforced what I have heard on the grape vine. I know as a young sheila I used to jump off the cliffs into the creek. Not a chance to do any thought except dont belly flop! Should have remembered that. My mum smsed me last night and reminded me that at age 1 I climbed the barricades she had on the second floor veranda, and jumped ... cause I threw my fav cup over. I broke my leg only cause I landed wrong, got back from hospital and jumped in a box and rode it down the stairs. The first time mum said anything positive about me , she said "maybe you were born to jump" Destiny?

Wow thanks skymama! I tend to gulp down the air before the exit, I will take your advice and try the deep breath instead. Unfortunately I live in far north Queensland, and no indoor tunnels in the bush ;). I have a bungy jump nearby tho, what do you think about practising jumping off a tower or does it not work? I've had mixed reports from local mates.

It's totally different to jump from a stationery object as opposed to a moving plane, so I think it'd be a waste of time to bungie jump if you're using it for training. Totally do it if you just want to do it for the fun of it!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon