RadioGeek

Hello from Oregon

Not sure how it happened, somehow the idea of skydiving got stuck in my head recently and I ended up watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading this forum. Then last week(in the middle of the 100F temps) I did a tandem jump at Skydive Oregon, and now all I can think about is going again.

I figure the best route at this point is to go for the A license and do the AFF classes. Money being tight due to old hospital bills I'm stuck trying to decide if I should do another tandem and wait until next spring to do AFF or risk running out of money doing AFF immediately, I hate the thought of being stuck with not enough money for a couple of months and going over the 30 days...

Either way, I seem to be hooked.
Your shadow is a confirmation that light has traveled nearly 93 million miles unobstructed, only to be deprived of reaching the ground in the final few feet thanks to you.

Welcome, you've got the bug now, and it'll be difficult to get rid of it, especially as you've already made that 1st jump!

Yeah, skydiving isn't really the cheapest of hobbies :D for a good course to get you through to your A license, you can expect to spend around the $3k mark

Whichever way you decide to go, good luck on the license progression :)

Once you start on your student program, you need to jump fairly often. If money is an issue you might ask and consider Static Line or Instructor Assisted Deployment. In both cases you leave the plane by yourself, first deploying right after exit and then later having an increasingly long delay before deployment. These jumps often run around $75 (give or take) each where the first AFF jumps can be more than twice that. It is not really cheaper by much but it is a way to have a lower cost per jump. This might allow you to jump more often (right at first) than with AFF. AFF, SL, or IAD you end up after you get cleared for solo practice at the same point in the USPA training program. Some people do better at AFF, some better at SL/IAD, and some places actually mix them for specific reasons.

If you DZ is open at all during the winter and you are eager to start, then SL/IAD might be even more attractive. Talk to the DZ staff is this seems attractive. Some places only do AFF though.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Hello!
I'm in student progression at PNW skydiving in Mulino. They are fantastic! So friendly and helpful, I called around to a few places and I can say from my first phone call to every jump l feel at home. They were a little bit better priced than SDO and I wanted a good vibe which I got immediately. I would suggest saving up for the whole progression( give yourself some extra for repeat levels!) Once you start, you won't want to stop or take a break! All the best!

Welcome!

Personally I'd recommend saving up the money to do AFF > A license. Like you've mentioned you have to jump fairly frequently so you don't get uncurrent. It's also imo easier to get through the fear and other challenges of the jumps when they happen more frequently.

Is there a dz you could get a job at? Maybe at manifest or learn to pack parachutes or even do maintance? Some dzs pay in jump tickets which you could use after passing your AFF course. I know of a dz that pays in jump tickets for working at their café as well. It would also help in that it connects you with the community of skydivers and you can learn so much before even starting to jump :)

best of luck!
I was put on this earth to do one thing. Luckily I forgot what it was so I do whatever I want.